ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would make a better track toy PH1 172/172 cup?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
As above.

I'm looking at getting another car soon (track toy) and top of my list ATM are either a pH1 172, or 172 cup... Both would be completely stripped out.

What would you go for and why??

Thanks Fletch.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Probably for me a Cup as they look slightly better but id be happy with either tbh.

Wider track with the Cup though and saves you the hassle of having to remove the aircon, but for the extra you pay for one you could remove it from a ph1. I suppose it also largly depends whats available for sale, as I would rather have a 51k ph1 for 3k over a 80k Cup for the same price.

Tbh I would just keep your ph2 and strip it as you never know how other cars have been treated and whats gunna go pop 2 months down the line, but at least with your current motor you have a better heads up.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Probably for me a Cup as they look slightly better but id be happy with either tbh.

Wider track with the Cup though and saves you the hassle of having to remove the aircon, but for the extra you pay for one you could remove it from a ph1. I suppose it also largly depends whats available for sale, as I would rather have a 51k ph1 for 3k over a 80k Cup for the same price.

Tbh I would just keep your ph2 and strip it as you never know how other cars have been treated and whats gunna go pop 2 months down the line, but at least with your current motor you have a better heads up.

I am going to give the 172 to my GF mate.

172 Race Car
Probably for me a Cup as they look slightly better
:eek: wash your mouth out young man!

everything else you said is right tho ;)

Depends what direction you are going to take wth the car, Less to strip off a cup compaired to a phase 1 but they are cheaper to buy

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
:eek: wash your mouth out young man!

everything else you said is right tho ;)

Depends what direction you are going to take wth the car, Less to strip off a cup compaired to a phase 1 but they are cheaper to buy

Well, I ideally want to strip it out completely, so the cups probably a better option.

172 Race Car
Phase 1

+ points

Cable throttle
Ally bonnet (early ones)
Cheaper to buy
Can sell interior
15's as standard

Dash is s**te
Heavy aircon to remove
lots of insulation to remove
Not much castor angle
Most are boring silver

172 Cup

+ points

Already lightened
Nice colour
More castor angle than ph1
No abs

Dearer
16's
No one wants the inerior

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Phase 1

+ points

Cable throttle
Ally bonnet (early ones)
Cheaper to buy
Can sell interior
15's as standard

Dash is s**te
Heavy aircon to remove
lots of insulation to remove
Not much castor angle
Most are boring silver

172 Cup

+ points

Already lightened
Nice colour
More castor angle than ph1
No abs

Dearer
16's
No one wants the inerior

Thanks burp.

I think for a track toy it has to be a Ph1., just seem more suited to track work.

I've noticed that most track slags are ph1 172s

Not to sure, But surely it has alot better response ( and cheaper to TB ) :evil:

Not sure if i'm going to fit some itb's to it yet ;)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
go for the ph1

as for the - points

air con- removed will reduce weight, yes it may be a mess on but you will learn things down the line

dash board- its a track car who give a sh*t

Insulation to remove - more weight to be saved

Colour - its a track toy its what the car does not how it looks surely?

as you may be able to tell i drive a ph1 :p

The only thing that would attract me to a ph2 would be the slightly better front end and the dash (as an every day car)

However i also see the ph1 as a more raw version of the ph2's, however the ABS is a pain in the arse

I say get a ph1, save the money you would've spent on a cup and put it towards some good suspension and tyres, if it breaks you wont be so upset as you wont have spent as much on the car itself

you will notice the difference between how direct the cable throttle is over the ph2 as well, which surely must be better for responsive track work?

53 Clio's & counting
It all depends if your buying it for fun, or if you want to get as fast a lap time as you can, and of course fun.

If you want it for fun id by a ph1, we all know in the right hands a cup should be faster round a track, but as stated for the price difference id buy a decent, cheap Ph1, strip it, and have some fun, even with std shocks and Eibach springs mine is fantastic to drive on and off track

if you want to get the fastest lap times you can, in theory the cup should be faster, but then again iv kept with cups around combe, its alot down to the driver as you know fella

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
go for the ph1

as for the - points

air con- removed will reduce weight, yes it may be a mess on but you will learn things down the line

dash board- its a track car who give a sh*t

Insulation to remove - more weight to be saved

Colour - its a track toy its what the car does not how it looks surely?

as you may be able to tell i drive a ph1 :p

The only thing that would attract me to a ph2 would be the slightly better front end and the dash (as an every day car)

However i also see the ph1 as a more raw version of the ph2's, however the ABS is a pain in the arse

I say get a ph1, save the money you would've spent on a cup and put it towards some good suspension and tyres, if it breaks you wont be so upset as you wont have spent as much on the car itself

you will notice the difference between how direct the cable throttle is over the ph2 as well, which surely must be better for responsive track work?

Well i've already got H&R coilovers 4 pots, maxogen etc which would all be going across.

It all depends if your buying it for fun, or if you want to get as fast a lap time as you can, and of course fun.

If you want it for fun id by a ph1, we all know in the right hands a cup should be faster round a track, but as stated for the price difference id buy a decent, cheap Ph1, strip it, and have some fun, even with std shocks and Eibach springs mine is fantastic to drive on and off track

if you want to get the fastest lap times you can, in theory the cup should be faster, but then again iv kept with cups around combe, its alot down to the driver as you know fella

Yes mate, not a lot of difference between the two, in terms of real world pace.

E-Stalker ;)

Been on hol's and just started back at the gym so struggling to get online :(

Car's fine mate!

Loving every minute of it mate :)

Good stuff fella.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Id just track your 172 and get your girlfriend something else.

Reason i say this.

You know the car is right you know its been fine, so you dont have to worry about picking up someone elses problem.
All the mods are already on it and wont need transferring.
Your car when standard (although its mint) its high mileage ect so not worth top dollar.

So strip it sell the interior, get a spare set of 15s for track wheels, job done.

Buy the girlfriend something newer etc.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover

Will have to put to the test next year at the combe!! ;)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
course you will have to get a high miler ;)

Knowsit :cool:

Id just track your 172 and get your girlfriend something else.

Reason i say this.

You know the car is right you know its been fine, so you dont have to worry about picking up someone elses problem.
All the mods are already on it and wont need transferring.
Your car when standard (although its mint) its high mileage ect so not worth top dollar.

So strip it sell the interior, get a spare set of 15s for track wheels, job done.

Buy the girlfriend something newer etc.

Good point.

The GF was going to get a Fabia VRS, Audi A3.. and i was going to strip the 172 out, add some buckets, roll cage RS cup steering wheel etc.

But a decent fabia vrs, Audi A3 you're looking at between 6-10k, a ph1/ cup could be bought for 2-3.5k..

Honda & VW
Surely theres only one winner here - PH1.

You'll be saving nearly to grand against buying a Cup, thats 2 grand to spend on the PH1.

But i suppose it all depends how much of an issue the money side of things are....?

RenaultSport 172
I bought a ph1 and love it but sometimes I wish I bought a cup as soon i'd like to remove the aircon

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I agree that it would probably still be an better option to get your other half a newer car and keep your current for a track car, even if it means waiting a few more months.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No one seems to have mentioned that they are very similar weights as standard, so surely getting weight out of a ph1 would be more productive. Cable throttle feels very different. And ph1's always make more power from mods like cams itb's etc.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I agree that it would probably still be an better option to get your other half a newer car and keep your current for a track car, even if it means waiting a few more months.

Maybe.. just getting impatient now as i can't do any more to the car ATM :(

No one seems to have mentioned that they are very similar weights as standard, so surely getting weight out of a ph1 would be more productive. Cable throttle feels very different. And ph1's always make more power from mods like cams itb's etc.

True they do seem to produce better results..