ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do?? Nurburgring cambelt snap

Clio 182
Have a decision to make.. did a trip to Nurburgring last year and cambelt on my 182 decided to let go mid lap, after being charged a mortgage payment to get it off the track, I have left it with a mechanic out there but he wants 2000€ to fix, I can send him an engine which he said he can fit for 500€ do you think this is an expensive replacement also does anyone on here know if anyone selling a 182 engine??? It had a new dephaser pulley on it so the condition of that is not a problem.. the other choice is to bite the bullet and recover it back here but pretty sure will cost a lot to do that??

Renault 5 GT Turbo
Look at recovery options... Got a van from Newcastle to Ashford Kent for £190... 345miles, the ring is 340 miles driving from Ashford, Kent... Ofcourse you would pay for crossings etc, and then onwards to you location or garage of choice to fit...

Wouldn't be surprised if it's less than you think... But a replacement engine and the cost to have it fitted maybe worth just getting him to fit a replacement engine if you can source one....500 euro to fit you an engine is around £425... Not a bad price for a garage price tbh... But you have the expense of sending an engine, going to collect the car, driving it back, ferry crossing etc...

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Even with a stuffed engine I'd have thought it'll be worth a lot more than just scrap if you sold it over there.
2nd hand cars a worth a lot more in europe than here.

2004 clio 182
ouch this thread is scarey.lol
i would love to go there but the costs of crashing into there expensive barriers and or breaking down on track is just so much !!!
as above, i would hire a trailer and go get the b*****d thing,cheapest way
hope u get it sorted

Clio 182
I've been going for 8 years now, it's the only time I have had a problem, it broke down 50yds from the half way exit, gutted!! I'm sending an engine over there now German mechanic will fit it and store it for when we go back in May.. it's roll caged, momo seats, 888s, full decat milltek so well worth fixing...

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
I've been going for 8 years now, it's the only time I have had a problem, it broke down 50yds from the half way exit, gutted!! I'm sending an engine over there now German mechanic will fit it and store it for when we go back in May.. it's roll caged, momo seats, 888s, full decat milltek so well worth fixing...
Got a engine sorted then?

Wonder how many people realise you can be charged for barrier damage on any UK or European circuit ??

Just with trackdays you won't get charged recovery or downtime

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
I'm in talks with a few friends about arranging a ring trip in a few months, it's threads like these that make me think twice [emoji848]

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Life's is too short. Get it booked and have some fun.

This! Get out there and enjoy yourself. You don't need to drive like an utter bell round the ring. It's a good experience to just go round it imo. Yes accidents can happen but it's one of them things.

Yolo :wink:

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure it is going to happen [emoji106]Whilst I enjoy my 182 if I do crash it it's not worth enough financially or emotionally to me (not a baller, just it's a fairly cheap car now) for me to be too worried. Anyway I'm pretty level headed and whilst I know the ring is a different ball game I have done a few track days before and have always had a good time without going mental on track.

Mechanical failure is one of those things. It could happen on your commute, a track day or popping the shops.
You can only maintain it and cross your fingers.

As for people being put of the ring by this, live a little. It's a great experience and place to go. Best case you have a great time, make some memories and enjoy every second.
Worst case, you bankrupt yourself and pay ze germans four figures but you'll have a great story to tell passers by when you're homeless drinking Skol.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Same goes for watching any UK bad drivers/crashes compilation on YouTube... If you sat watching those all day you'd be convinced you'd never make it to work on Monday!
I quite enjoy watching these, as if anything it makes me more aware whilst on the roads myself as to what utter dumbfuckery people will actually do.

If you can ask the mechanic to examine the pistons and valves with a camera, and things aren't extremely bent \ broken , there's a chance you could just fit another belt and drive it.
I had a massive over-rev before, and although I bent some valves, the car was still driveable for a few months before replacing the engine.

Nurburgring cambelt snap... what would I do?

Cry, cry a lot. Drink a truckload of beer and whisky, call people, offload on them and cry about not being able to remember why I'm crying. Wake up. Cry about how hungover I am, then realise I'd buggered my car on the ring and cry about that. Obtain alcohol. Repeat.

Eventually, I'd probably do as has been said, get her back to the UK and repair, suck up the cost and enjoy your car again.