ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you pick? 172ff or cup

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Or, get a mk1 172. Prob the best of both worlds. More aggresive set up than a FFmk2, ABS, and cheaper to boot. Add some H&R's and I'd wager on it being the better drive than a cup too.

Golf 7R
Well Im ust be one of the lucky "deluded" ones and in 3 yrs of ownership it has rained once or twice, and my car and me are still in tact..

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
^^^ the point is we all rely on eleccy and technology which is making us worse drivers! should never have a so called lapse of concentration when behing the wheel of what is effectivly a weapon!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Fair enough mate, but I'm entitled to my opinion. As an interesting side note, the guy that did my advanced driving tuition (one of the HPC gatekeepers), said that although the theory says ABS isn't necessary, in the real world the ability to brake hard and steer is invaluable. Well done on 3 years, but it only takes once for it to matter.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
^^^ the point is we all rely on eleccy and technology which is making us worse drivers! should never have a so called lapse of concentration when behing the wheel of what is effectivly a weapon!

If you're driving within your and the cars limits, the electronics are there as a safety net. Given your obvious abilities, how did you get on in Melbourne this morning Lewis;)

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
i don't mind opinions (i have no choice) each to their own! just dont rely on saxo vts abs as a sensor died whilst under heavy braking and since that sh!t scairy moment of not being in control or not knowing what the car was doing,i can live without it! realised what a crap driver i had become having to rely on it!

lewis lol has he got abs! or doesnt he need it?

FF. If you're a poorman and like poor mans thing go cup. Ff 0.1 slower to 60? Hardly loads slower is it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
FF. If you're a poorman and like poor mans thing go cup. Ff 0.1 slower to 60? Hardly loads slower is it.

Imagine driving your car all the time with an extra person in, thats the difference between a cup and a 172.

P.S i've never driven a cup, but i know my 172 is miles slower with people in.

Golf 7R

On paper maybe, but in real terms the gap is bigger. Every ff i have come across i can and would pull a gap especially after 2nd or third gear. In no way am i putting the 172 ff down, its just my experience. The "poorman" will have that little more fun!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Utter tosh.

I chose the Cup because its a hell of a lot more driver focused than the FF....not because i couldn't afford the FF.

The Cup is more of a drivers car...its as simple as that.

LOL! Thought that might get a response.

I do think it though. I've driven a cup and I didnt like it. If I wanted poverty I'd have stuck with my wifes mk1 ph3. I have 4 fillings. When I decide I fancy a trip to my friendly NHS dentist I might go and drive another cup. Its to stiff for my liking. I need a daily driver that keeps me entertained but not one that makes my back beg for forgiveness.

All IMO of course. I do a fair amount of miles a year. If I where to pop down to the local stealers and spec up a new car I'd still pick a 197 with all the bells and whistles rather than a cup.

Horses for courses as they say. I'm a big, big fan keeping cars standard. If I wanted a focused car I would have bought an Elise, but unfortunately I need something to drive to work and transport a weeks shopping back from Sainsburys.

VaVa
The biggest difference between any RS clio is the driver. Buy the one you like the look/spec/feel of. Not what the paper figures tell you.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
LOL! Thought that might get a response.

I do think it though. I've driven a cup and I didnt like it. If I wanted poverty I'd have stuck with my wifes mk1 ph3. I have 4 fillings. When I decide I fancy a trip to my friendly NHS dentist I might go and drive another cup. Its to stiff for my liking. I need a daily driver that keeps me entertained but not one that makes my back beg for forgiveness.

All IMO of course. I do a fair amount of miles a year. If I where to pop down to the local stealers and spec up a new car I'd still pick a 197 with all the bells and whistles rather than a cup.

Horses for courses as they say. I'm a big, big fan keeping cars standard. If I wanted a focused car I would have bought an Elise, but unfortunately I need something to drive to work and transport a weeks shopping back from Sainsburys.

PMSL at that. May i suggest a nice airsprung Citroen if you want a nice floaty ride. The Cup is not much stiffer than a standard 172. Also LOL at all these responses about needing ABS on a car. What did we do before the mid 90's hey?

VaVa
What did we do before air bags? Before side impact bars? Before crumple zones? Argue all you like, but ABS is one of the most important car safety features of the last 50 years, whether you consider it a necessity or not.

106 GTi
The main thing with the pre mid 90's Hot Hatches most did not have the same kind of power as the Cup.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I prefer the way the Cup handles over the FF. Admittedly its a more raw feeling over the FF...but I've driven mine for nearly 85,000 miles now, and I would honestly say I've enjoyed driving the car.

ABS or ESP only come into use when the driver has gone past their own limits 9 times out of 10. ABS and ESP were not on cars 20 years ago, nor were they on the Williams...did this make them less of a car?

The 172 Cup will never be repeated. They have had a 182 Cup and now the 197 Cup, but they will not take the mantle that the 172 Cup created because of how much different it was over the standard model. The mondiale Blue colour (in my opinion) was the best colour of any of the 172s (and I'm not baiting) although I do like Flame Red too.

I used to say when I first got the Cup that I wished I'd purchased the FF...but as was said to me, if I'd purchased the ff...then I'd probably have wished that I'd bought the Cup. The price didn't come into it, and I could have held out and bought a brand new 182...but I didn't want to as I had fallen in love with the Cup and the way it was.

At the end of the day, try both...see what you think and see which one you would feel most at ease with, just remember the Cup will cost more to insure than a FF and remember that when the weather is bad...drive within your limits. :)

172 cup
After being in a 182FF today id say go for that! Looked stunning as was as quick as my 172 cup.

In terms of cup vs FF, up to the individual and their needs, i chose a cup... Looked better and felt better to drive IMO

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I used to say when I first got the Cup that I wished I'd purchased the FF...

I'm glad to say I never did. Ever.

Had a bash in my mates 182 recently, and it's got the urge, but feels less frentic, less immediate. Throttle response is a little softer too.

For the pure driving experience it has got to be the original Cup.

VaVa
I prefer the way the Cup handles over the FF. Admittedly its a more raw feeling over the FF...but I've driven mine for nearly 85,000 miles now, and I would honestly say I've enjoyed driving the car.

ABS or ESP only come into use when the driver has gone past their own limits 9 times out of 10. ABS and ESP were not on cars 20 years ago, nor were they on the Williams...did this make them less of a car?

The 172 Cup will never be repeated. They have had a 182 Cup and now the 197 Cup, but they will not take the mantle that the 172 Cup created because of how much different it was over the standard model. The mondiale Blue colour (in my opinion) was the best colour of any of the 172s (and I'm not baiting) although I do like Flame Red too.

I used to say when I first got the Cup that I wished I'd purchased the FF...but as was said to me, if I'd purchased the ff...then I'd probably have wished that I'd bought the Cup. The price didn't come into it, and I could have held out and bought a brand new 182...but I didn't want to as I had fallen in love with the Cup and the way it was.

At the end of the day, try both...see what you think and see which one you would feel most at ease with, just remember the Cup will cost more to insure than a FF and remember that when the weather is bad...drive within your limits. :)

And driving within your limits applies whichever you drive. Because ABS and ESP make no difference remember? ;)

RS mk2 172
Lol reading some of these posts you would think there was some major differences in power. Its the same car with 80kg less in weight and as for cars in the 90s not having the same power as the cup do we all remember RS turbocharged Fords? Yes many of them had ABS too!

VaVa
I used to say when I first got the Cup that I wished I'd purchased the FF...

Had a bash in my mates 182 recently, and it's got the urge, but feels less frentic, less immediate. Throttle response is a little softer too.

Your's is modded though yes?

Throttle response on my FF was increased massively with decat/GrpN ECU.

The 172 Cup, by and large, is the quicker car though. But not by much.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Your's is modded though yes?

Throttle response on my FF was increased massively with decat/GrpN ECU.

The 172 Cup, by and large, is the quicker car though. But not by much.

Is the cup always the the quickest though?
I hear allot of people on here saying that the BHP figures vary allot. I know one of the reasons for picking mine was because it felt the quickest on the test drives! I've also kept with a cup on a straight before.
As for corners I would say it came down to driver ability more than the difference in car setups (standard ones;) ).
I also think abs is defiantly a great invention and does save lives no question.
FF it is then with my CC:D

VaVa
That's why I said 'by and large'.

Like for like a car 89kg lighter is going to be quicker, no matter how insignificant. But in my experience you're right, the biggest difference can be whether or not you get a good engine in the first place.

The Cup does handle 'better' imho. Feels sharper, keener to turn and more resistant to understeer. That's what I've noticed every time I've driven one rather than the difference in straightline speed.

The added advantage of the Cup, as duly noted by Weeman, is that buying one instantly makes you hardcore and has a full race licence in the glovebox.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
That's why I said 'by and large'.

Like for like a car 89kg lighter is going to be quicker, no matter how insignificant. But in my experience you're right, the biggest difference can be whether or not you get a good engine in the first place.

The Cup does handle 'better' imho. Feels sharper, keener to turn and more resistant to understeer. That's what I've noticed every time I've driven one rather than the difference in straightline speed.

The added advantage of the Cup, as duly noted by Weeman, is that buying one instantly makes you hardcore and has a full race licence in the glovebox.

True and sorry:eek:
Both have pro's and con's at the end of the day.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
ive had a cup, if i was to get another one id get a FF, then wang some turinis on and a cup spolier, theres so little in it speed wise to justify the loss of all the toys for the cup

mondial blue does make me moist tho, i do miss my cup sometimes.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
172 Cup for me. I used to have a 182 FF and i prefer the raw nature of the cup i have now. Any monkey can get in a FF and drive it quick - it takes a certain extra degree of skill to drive a cup fast, it has no electronic nannies to help you out and in that respect takes longer to learn and exploit to both its and your potential.

You buy a hot hatch for fun, for raw driving thrills, but you also need to put the missus shopping in the boot at the weekend.

If you simply want to drive fast and drive a car that makes you feel like a hero down the back roads, buy a FF.

If you want a car that you have to learn to master, but will bite you in the ass if you take liberties or drive like a tool, buy a cup :race:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
172 Cup for me. I used to have a 182 FF and i prefer the raw nature of the cup i have now. Any monkey can get in a FF and drive it quick - it takes a certain extra degree of skill to drive a cup fast, it has no electronic nannies to help you out and in that respect takes longer to learn and exploit to both its and your potential.

You buy a hot hatch for fun, for raw driving thrills, but you also need to put the missus shopping in the boot at the weekend.

If you simply want to drive fast and drive a car that makes you feel like a hero down the back roads, buy a FF.

If you want a car that you have to learn to master, but will bite you in the ass if you take liberties or drive like a tool, buy a cup :race:
LOL, you guys make it sound like full fat owners drive around with traction control and abs constantly firing. As for a cup taking time to master, WTF! It's a FWD hatchback FFS. You guys make it sound like an F40.

Clio 182
I'm glad the general feeling for 'drivers' is the Cup because i've been trying to decide which to go for myself,

I'm a 'driver' (I love the way you accentuated the word as though only 'real drivers' would choose Cups) and I chose a 182 FF with cup packs... I wouldn't change it for the world and i've been in a Cup several times.

Hmm... as a daily driver would I rather have a car with cruise, climate, and ABS that still offers performance and handling by the bucketload... or a car with none of the niceties that is a whopping 0.1s faster at 0-60. Tough decision. Not.

Last edited:
  Up rocks
Lol reading some of these posts you would think there was some major differences in power. Its the same car with 80kg less in weight and as for cars in the 90s not having the same power as the cup do we all remember RS turbocharged Fords? Yes many of them had ABS too!

Werent the RS Fords only around 130bhp as standard though, with a 0-60 of around 8secs?