ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the scoop with 182 cups

Hello. Do you still get the 182 goodies, but just with cup suspension? Are they faster than 182/172/Cup? Has anybody got stats and prices? I didnt think renault were going to bring out 182 cups.

Cheers

They Said the Original Williams was a limited run as well! Good old Renault, always looking for new ways to piss the customer off!

182 cups get rid of some of the 182 luxuries like leather alacantra seats, xenon headlights, climate control (you still get manual aircon), engine cover plus a few other things

speedwise it doesnt go that much faster 6.9 to 60 compared to 7.1 in the 182.

Price wise the list for the 182 cup is 13800 but you can pick them up for around 11000. 182 comes in at just over 12000 if you look hard enough.

Gareth

Ziel Nurburgring

Think you lose all the toys, bar the ABS (as its a legal requirement on new cars). They are something like 20Kgs lighter, and will have the cup suspension set up.

All in all a pretty pointless car when for a few quid more you can have the 182 with all the extras and the cup bits. Cruise, leather and CC are worht the 20kgs IMO, and all your going to again is a couple of hundreths of the 0-60

pretty much agree with you blink, but i chose the cup purely because the missus is a vegetarian and she didnt want the leather seats. Ah well never mind - no point arguing over spilt blood :)

Gareth

Quote: Originally posted by gnewark on 24 December 2004

182 cups get rid of some of the 182 luxuries like leather alacantra seats, xenon headlights, climate control (you still get manual aircon), engine cover plus a few other things

Price wise the list for the 182 cup is 13800 but you can pick them up for around 11000. 182 comes in at just over 12000 if you look hard enough.

Gareth
yea but autocar rekon they can do 6.0 to 60 becuase they timed the standard 182cup @ 6.3 to 60 a 182 will do 6.5 to 60 all day and 6.3 ultimate launch.

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by cliotuRS on 24 December 2004

Gareth
yea but autocar rekon they can do 6.0 to 60 becuase they timed the standard 182cup @ 6.3 to 60 a 182 will do 6.5 to 60 all day and 6.3 ultimate launch.
Huh, youve just created 3rd car there. Can you clarify what you mean

pretty much agree with you blink, but i chose the cup purely because the missus is a vegetarian and she didnt want the leather seats. Ah well never mind - no point arguing over spilt blood :)

Gareth

Hahahaha wtf does she think thats going to achieve? Its not as if an animal has survived because of her beliefs, it would of still be slaughtered and made into my seats instead:p.

Also does she not wear shoes? Almost every shoe is leather!

CUPs are Gay end of. Now wheres that flame suit gone?

dk

911 GTS Cab

Gareth
Autocar timed the full fat 182 to 60 in 6.3 and said that once it is run in it would easily hit 6 seconds as the one they tested had only done about 600 miles

Ziel Nurburgring

Renault tried to cash in on the success of the 172 cup, which in my opinion is an amazing car. It took balls to do it, and they got it right first time.

This time, they just havent gone far enough. It was supposed to be a stripped out, hardcore car that people bought due to its rawness.

it would be easier if i could call the cheapest 182 a "Team" but i get shot down so now we have confusion between a 182 with cup suspension and a 182cup.

182 with cup suspension (standard 182) 0-60 in 6.5-6.6 (best timed @ 6.3)

182CUP with tartan granny seats and no climate etc.. 0-60 ? but autocar said if the 182 can do a 6.3 @ best then theoretically a near 6.1-6.0 flat for the 182cup 20kgs lighter.

reno only quote 7.0 because any lower than that and insurance group mite be affected.. load of cars do the same i.e Seat Ibiza Cupra Pd160 is 7.4 offically but timed at 6.8 and pug gti is timed @ 7.4.

actually i think the same mag timed the 182 @ 6.8 1month later but thats only so it would look exaclty the same time as the diesel to show that diesels have come of age.. but ive had 6.9 out of my MKII 172 and so i imagine a run in 182 with its more power, power lower down, better suspension, and better tyres could muster better than 6.8

isnt it law to have ABS fitted to all cars now unless the car has less than 30 per month roll out due to them being classed as a small business i.e TVR .. even the elise has abs now. so unless they had got rid of electric windows and/or thinned the glass there isnt much more weight to be saved.

RB182cup&golf gti

nah the cup is mailto:cr@p">cr@p complete waste of time, pointless, thats why it came second in evo and has top ratings in pretty much every review, make your own mind up really

Ziel Nurburgring

After reading Daves post and re reading yours cliotu it kinda made sense. To early to be using the brain, lol

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 24 December 2004

After reading Daves post and re reading yours cliotu it kinda made sense. To early to be using the brain, lol
hehe no probs. at the end of it all 182cup or 182withcupsuspension are pretty much damn equal and gain had by the 20kg lighter car could be lost if the driver was heavier or had a passenger or indeed even had some equipment in the boot... hell even a slighlty slower gear change would do it.

i think the cars designed to scoop renault some more cash before the next range of 1 million clio variants come out.. by which point even the 1.2sport will be called Cups just to rake in money nothing is sacred in modern day renaults eyes.

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 24 December 2004

hehe no probs. at the end of it all 182cup or 182withcupsuspension are pretty much damn equal and gain had by the 20kg lighter car could be lost if the driver was heavier or had a passenger or indeed even had some equipment in the boot... hell even a slighlty slower gear change would do it.

i think the cars designed to scoop renault some more cash before the next range of 1 million clio variants come out.. by which point even the 1.2sport will be called Cups just to rake in money nothing is sacred in modern day renaults eyes.
Its not just renault. VW- Beetle and the new Campervan BMW- The Mini and thats before you start on toys. In the UK they are currently going back and re releasing all of the toys first sold in the 80s & 90s. But thats for another thread ;)

Yes. There are sacred things in Renault. A Cup is a different suspension setting, hence the use of the name for the optional suspension and the version. There wont be a non-Renaultsport car with a different suspension setting, hence Cup will only be used for Renaultsport cars

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Agree with you Jeremy, and Im sure youre fed up of seeing this! :)

but.... it does confuse people having a 182 Cup and a 182 with Cup suspension.

It would have been better to call it a 182 Team, 182 Trophy, etc? At least that way it would have cleared up a few confused people maybe?

VaVa

Rightly so too. Nice to see Renault do have some morals!! lol!!

On the 182 vs 182 Cup debate, 20 kgs is less than the weight of a full tank of fuel. In fact, if a 182 Cup has a full tank, and a 182 is in the Red, the 182 will be the lighter of the two!!

And if 20 kg loses 0.2 seconds off a 0-60 time that means my mk2 172, which for arguments sake does it in 7.0, if I take out me spare Ill be doing 6.8s? Not a chance. imho.

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 24 December 2004 at 11:54am]

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 24 December 2004

Agree with you Jeremy, and Im sure youre fed up of seeing this! :)

It would have been better to call it a 182 Team, 182 Trophy, etc? At least that way it would have cleared up a few confused people maybe?
The Cup name means a lot in this country, thanks to the 172 Cup. enault would be mad to ditch it. imho.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 24 December 2004
Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 24 December 2004Agree with you Jeremy, and Im sure youre fed up of seeing this! :)

It would have been better to call it a 182 Team, 182 Trophy, etc? At least that way it would have cleared up a few confused people maybe?[/QUOTE]The Cup name means a lot in this country, thanks to the 172 Cup. enault would be mad to ditch it. imho.

I understand that, however why not call the suspension Sports suspension then?

Just to distinguish the two, and prevent consumer confusion.

At the end of the day, you have to wonder whether Renault UK have "Focus Groups" and actually consult small groups of selected people on what they they etc?

Surely were not all confused about what a Cup is ? The UK is the country that sells the cars, no other in any real numbers. The Cup version was always planned from the start as a cheaper version of the 182 for those customers who end up taking the seats out of their cars. Other countries have taken the version (though with less spec) and used the name Team as the Cup name is ours.

The Team in other countries doesnt have either the suspension or spoilers as standard.

The discussions about 20kg or 0.0001 of a second are interesting but what really matters is the suspension set up for the Cup is regarded as one of the very best front wheel drive arrangements available today. See this weeks Autocar - the 182 Cup is in the Top Ten cars of 2004. That could have also read as the 182 with the optional Cup suspension as thats the bit that really matters, how it handles, not whether its 1mph quicker.

Theres no debate between 172 Cup, 182 and 182 Cup really - theyre all equally cars for people for who handling matters.

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

So really you might as well buy a proper 182 rather than a 182 "cheap" as pete calls it and fit coilovers.

VaVa

lol @ Jeremy. Thanks for the info. And your right. 0-60 really isnt what these cars are about.... got a bit caught up in it all. :oops:

The Jinx

Always makes me laugh when people yark on about .2s with 0-60 times! They always forget that these figures are generally attained by proper test drivers screwing the cars to achieve the best possible times.

Generally most cars that are within a second of each other on the 0-60 run will be closer than you think on the road. Much closer.

I have to say I cant see the point in the Cup either. JT, why did renault choose to keep any kind of air con at all? IMO the Cup name should be associated with an extreme version of the model that only the more hardcore buyer will go for, leaving the softer model for others.

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 24 December 2004

Gareth
Autocar timed the full fat 182 to 60 in 6.3 and said that once it is run in it would easily hit 6 seconds as the one they tested had only done about 600 miles

Renault will always time cars at curb weight, due to legal requirement for advertising standards, (ie full tank of fuel, 75kg driver plus 5kg of luggage) hence the 7.1 and 6.9 figures from Renault. People assume that manufacturers times are slow when mags get better times, but it really depends on how much fuel was in the car the mag tested. The difference in weight between a 182 on full tanks and almost empty must be getting on for 45 kgs.

Not having a go at anyone, just stating the obvious:p

Quote: Originally posted by Jeremy Townsend on 24 December 2004

Surely were not all confused about what a Cup is ? The UK is the country that sells the cars, no other in any real numbers. The Cup version was always planned from the start as a cheaper version of the 182 for those customers who end up taking the seats out of their cars. Other countries have taken the version (though with less spec) and used the name Team as the Cup name is ours.

The Team in other countries doesnt have either the suspension or spoilers as standard.

The discussions about 20kg or 0.0001 of a second are interesting but what really matters is the suspension set up for the Cup is regarded as one of the very best front wheel drive arrangements available today. See this weeks Autocar - the 182 Cup is in the Top Ten cars of 2004. That could have also read as the 182 with the optional Cup suspension as thats the bit that really matters, how it handles, not whether its 1mph quicker.

Theres no debate between 172 Cup, 182 and 182 Cup really - theyre all equally cars for people for who handling matters.

I thought the Cup brand was sold in France in equally large numbers under the changed name of Ragnotti. On the 172 anyway.

;)

THE “JEAN RAGNOTTI” special edition has been developed on the basis of the new Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16V – launched in May 2001 – in order to satisfy you – the driver – looking above all for performance and driving enjoyment.

With weight reduced by 80kg, this special sports version of the Clio offers great performance including 0-100 km/h in 6,9 seconds.

The 2.0 16V engine delivering 172 bhp at 6.250 rpm and 200Nm at 5.400 rpm and the gearbox, are carried over unchanged from the normal Clio Sport 2.0 16V. Apart from the mentioned weight, or should we say reduced weight, Renault concentrated on the suspension system.

This new suspension was developed entirely for achievement of maximum driving efficiency. The front castor angle is increased in order to make the steering more informative. The overall height is reduced with new springs. These modifications are complemented by adoption of tyres of an extra stiff structure.

With 300 cars reserved for the French market, the “Jean Ragnotti” Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16V comes only in “Mondial Blue” and is equipped with a special rear spoiler above the hatch, and s front bumper with a flexible lower section.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by Willy Williams on 24 December 2004
and s front bumper with a flexible lower section.

Since when has it been flexible...? lol

the amount of people that have clipped it and its broke.

Ziel Nurburgring

Cups were a great idea, regardless of some peoples view of it being a cynical ploy by renault to get rid of shells in preperation for the new version.

Most manufacturers dont listen or care what people say and just soldier on blindly. At least Renault took a little notice of what the customer wanted.

As ive said in previous posts, they didnt go far enough this time with the 182cup and have created something that doesnt quite make the grade of the original. If it aint broke, doesnt seem to translate into french.

Lets hope the clio 202 and clio 202cup (Figures made up, just for the sake of it so dont read anything into) are totally different animals. The standard being a hot hatch with all the nice gizzmos and the cup being stripped, suspension upgraded and weighing 80-100kgs less

Embarrassed to say

Is the 182cup evo car of the year? Isnt there supposed to be suspension differences between the 182cup and the 182?