ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats the scoop with 182 cups

Remapped derv Golf

20kgs might not sound much to make a big deal over but the GTI6 is only 15kgs more than the Rallye is it not.

80Kgs on the 172 Cup is more of a deal because its around the weight of an average person.

Wouldnt 172 Cup with the 182 mainifold be the quickist of all?

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 30 December 2004

20kgs might not sound much to make a big deal over but the GTI6 is only 15kgs more than the Rallye is it not.

80Kgs on the 172 Cup is more of a deal because its around the weight of an average person.

Wouldnt 172 Cup with the 182 mainifold be the quickist of all?
The theory is there!!!

Jeremy - what was the position on the 182 Cup. Were you obliged to leave the ABS due to regs? I do agree it is better to have a non ABS car, but I got caught a couple of times in my elise - at which point you kinda hanker after ABS.

It seems to me that in the 172 Cup there was a car with its own USP, and it was sufficiently differentiated from the 172 for it to stand alone as a halo model in the range.

The 182 Cup seems a different proposition. It carries the name, but seems to have lost something in the translation - a halfway house if you like. Not different enough from the standard car - particularly as that can have the cup suspension fitted (which seems to be a popular choice) as an optional extra - and its that component which no doubt makes the graeatest difference to the way the car "drives" (handles). Maybe that was the marketing flaw? - but Im not complaining. :)

ABS has to be on new cars over a certain volume (i.e. exempts people like TVR, Caterham).

The idea behind the Cup was principally a handling improvement and less equipment. Unlike say Porsche (!), we cant charge the same or more for this but charge less. Thats the Cup version. However, lots of people like the equipment of the 182 and still want the handling improvements the Cup chassis brings, hence the option on the 182.

IMHO it would have been better to have no toys at all just the best no compromise suspension and brakes and aroedynamic devices, power is some what irellavent 170 or 180 bhp it doesnt matter too much in a drivers car.

Now if they did that with the option of fancy seats it would be a winner.

It would be very similar to what mitsi do with there evos (RS) models aimed specifically for motorsport as they choose to fit there own seats brakes etc.

I find the 182 versus 182Cup debates interesting for two reasons..

1) Im betting those that seem to have a dislike for the Cup, didnt have the option of buying it when they bought their 182 with Cup packs.

2) If the 182Cup isnt light enough - why go for the heavier car?

Im not judging either way, but the fact remains that the 182Cup is always at least a grand cheaper and still has most of the useful goodies. I find it amusing that people would hate the Cup to the extent that they reagrd it as a rip-off.

I mean lets be honest, besides leather seats - which arent important to some - what does the (slightly) heavier car really offer over the Cup? Full climate control? - dont make me laugh, who would boast about having CC whilst bemoaning the Cup for having too much kit.

The Cup isnt a rip-off, its a cheaper car that is slightly lighter, and one which more people are able to afford. In case you hadnt already guessed - yes - Im a (soon-to-be) 182Cup driver ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 30 December 2004

I find the 182 versus 182Cup debates interesting for two reasons..

1) Im betting those that seem to have a dislike for the Cup, didnt have the option of buying it when they bought their 182 with Cup packs.

i did and chose the better equipped over the "poor mans version" ;)as A i wouldnt have another car without xenons after owning one with and B the seats look awful and the negligible difference in weight doesnt offer anywhere near the supposed advantage the original cup came with due to 80 rather than 20 kg difference.

2) If the 182Cup isnt light enough - why go for the heavier car?

The point being made is if this is supposedly a focused version by saying its not light enough we mean if its supposed to be a light drivers car why not loose the air con pas electric windows and put buckets or recliners in rather than just shedding a token 20kg

Im not judging either way, but the fact remains that the 182Cup is always at least a grand cheaper and still has most of the useful goodies. I find it amusing that people would hate the Cup to the extent that they reagrd it as a rip-off.

I mean lets be honest, besides leather seats - which arent important to some - what does the (slightly) heavier car really offer over the Cup? Full climate control? - dont make me laugh, who would boast about having CC whilst bemoaning the Cup for having too much kit.

I personally hate the std cup seats but thats just personal taste, and although the difference between ac and full climate isnt as drastic as ac- a regular blower. The Xenons are a drastic improvement over regular halogen lamps.

The Cup isnt a rip-off, its a cheaper car that is slightly lighter, and one which more people are able to afford. In case you hadnt already guessed - yes - Im a (soon-to-be) 182Cup driver ;)

no-one is saying its a rip-off but merely for the extra equipment you get for a small amount more in cash it makes sense as the 182 cup isnt following on where the 172 cup left off, its an overweight less focussed dilution of the idea enjoying the image the true cup created.

Id rather buy a second hand 182 with cup pack. Depreciation is on the side of used car buyers. No big change from 182 to the new cup version. Bit pointless IMHO.

Quote: ...its an overweight less focussed dilution of the idea enjoying the image the true cup created.

So buying the heavier car for more cash, because it has all the extra features that you dont want, makes it all better? ;)

In all seriousness, I agree that the Cup isnt what it might have been - the 182 with packs is a better car. For some though, it isnt a grand better, especially considering 80% of the 182s extra features may not be wanted/needed.

TBH I still dont understand why any 172Cup lover would moan about the 182Cup being too heavy, and yet own a heavier 182 - why dont you guys all just drive 172Cups if this is the case??

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 30 December 2004
In all seriousness, I agree that the Cup isnt what it might have been - the 182 with packs is a better car. For some though, it isnt a grand better, especially considering 80% of the 182s extra features may not be wanted/needed.

TBH I still dont understand why any 172Cup lover would moan about the 182Cup being too heavy, and yet own a heavier 182 - why dont you guys all just drive 172Cups if this is the case??

just because we dont own the lighter variant doesnt mean we cant question why the 182 "cup" is more a token in the weight reduction stakes. I dont own an m3 or and m3 csl and although the csl sheds alot of weight there is still plenty that could have been lost in the persuit of performance that if said cars (cup and csl) are aimed at the track dayer or driving pureist the owners wouldnt have missed.

Yes, granted, the 182 with cup packs has nice extras, but people want different things from their car.

There will always be differences in opinion but in essence they are the same car - the same engine, the same shell etc

Each to their own, if you prefer the extras go for the cup packed 182 - if you want to save a bit of money and forego the extras get yourself a cup - From what I have read they are both excellent drives - people are forgetting what is important, they are both fantastic clios!

Gareth

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 30 December 2004
just read the article in the Renn magazine, i like that Inferno orange,  looks mean

Thats the colour Ive got mine ordered in :D

MINI JCW

Just add my opinion,

If you want all the goodies such as CC, xenons, auto lights, half leather seats etc then get the 182 with cup pack.

If you cant afford one or are simply not bothered about the fancy little bits of kit get the 182 cup.

I would always go for the 182 with cup bits as the seats look gorgeous and that simply cant be said for the 182 cup seats