ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

whats wrong with my 172 cup?? any help appreciated :)

Clio 172 cup
hey guys iv got a 172 cup.

When i accelerate especially through the lower gears it sounds like somethings grinding as if something metal is dragging on the floor but there aint anything dragging.

If i accerlerate really lightly and drive really slow there is hardly any noise at all but put your foot further down on the pedal and the noise comes.

Its like a loud noise and i can feel the vibrations in the car especially when i hold the steering wheel and accelerate but its not as bad in gears 4 and 5.

Could it be a engine mount because the engine will vibrate more through the lower gears hence why its louder and worse in the lower gears or something wrong with the driveshaft maybe??

The wheels are fine and solid with so its not a wheel bearing and its got worse and louder over the last few days.

Thanks for all your help guys :)

Clio 172 cup
Sounds like one of the engine mounts fella.

Thanks Stu

that was the first thing that came to my head.

How much do you think im looking at paying??

and this might be a stupid question but could it still be driven because i really need the car :/

Depends on which it is? I know the drivers side top mount is pretty costly. Again, it really depends if that's what it is, open your bonnet and see if you can rock the engine back and forward. see if you can hear/see anything that's wrong?

Clio 172 cup
I have just rocked the engine and cant here a thing, everything seems solid and theirs no noise or banging.

There is no noise when the engine is turned over just when i accerlerate and i nothing is looks wrong so i cant figure out what it is.

The mechanic I use is on holiday for 2weeks and i need the car so I might just have to pay for a hours labour just to find out what it is then take it from there.

53 Clio's & counting
Sounds possibly like the top o/s engine mount - it wont make noise until its under pressure caused by acellerating, and letting the manifold hit the subframe. Undo the 4 big bolts on the mount, and get a lever bar behind it, and lever the engine forward - give it a big heave and the mount will slide forward about 1 inch - do up the bolts and go for a spin - it should be better as the mount will now be holding the engine a bit more forward and away from the subframe

Clio 172 cup
Sounds possibly like the top o/s engine mount - it wont make noise until its under pressure caused by acellerating, and letting the manifold hit the subframe. Undo the 4 big bolts on the mount, and get a lever bar behind it, and lever the engine forward - give it a big heave and the mount will slide forward about 1 inch - do up the bolts and go for a spin - it should be better as the mount will now be holding the engine a bit more forward and away from the subframe

That does sound promising Russ and would make sense so ill give it a go.

Iv just taken the car to a rapid fit garage and they havnt got a clue what it is and said i should take it to a renault dealer!! No way with there prices!! lol. :S

He thinks its transmission related but cant be sure then he said gear box and clutch are fine, said the driveshaft is fine and all engine mounts are solid but the car is pulling strongly to the right.

The noise can only be heard from inside the car when he drove it i couldnt hear a thing from outside.

Had it up on the the ramp and i gave it some hammer through the gears and there wasnt any noise at all but as soon as the wheels were back on the ground the noise came back so o/s engine mount makes sense to me right now with it being under more pressure when i accelerate.

Clio 172 cup
driveshaft mate i have a clio cup and it did it to me i did the drivershaft and it was fine

Its the drivers side engine mount. Iv just gave it another hard rock and both the rubber stoppers are loose and one has just fallen off so the engine is banging on the frame. Iv wedged some thick tire in to keep me on the road.

How much am i looking at paying?? any rough ideas??

Could be giving clio spares a ring.

Also the brake disks and calipers front and back are about ready for replacing. I dont want to spend to much but wouldnt mind a nice set of brakes.

Anyone recommend any that aint to costly but are better than standard or shall i just stick to standard all around???

53 Clio's & counting
Iv not bought one for a few years, but a figure of about £50 is in my head mate - dont hold me to that though - id buy new btw. For th efront id get Brembo HC's (G172 here sells them v cheap) and standard pads are fine for road use, and rear iv just bought genuie standard discs and pads - the rear does very little so no need to upgrade