ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel bearing and CV joint

Clio 172
Alright guys,

Just got a ph2 172 cheap. It needs a CV joint, clicks sometimes when turning, it came with a cv joint in the boot, how easy is it to do?

Also, I have a wheel bearing going. Presuming its the rear, and I get bearings that are pressed onto the disc already, is it a case of just swapping the discs out and it's done?

I have tried searching, but it was too vague, and got a range of answers.

Thanks

Clio 172
Just had a thought, could the whining be related to the CV joint? If its running low on grease?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
My advice, just buy a decent second hand driveshaft off of here, much easier than trying to piss about changing the boot.

Do this first, if the noise is still there, get the wheel bearing done.

Clio 172
My advice, just buy a decent second hand driveshaft off of here, much easier than trying to piss about changing the boot.

Do this first, if the noise is still there, get the wheel bearing done.

Thanks mate

How much do the shafts go for, do you know? Everyone I mentioned it to said swap the shafts. So I'll do that then. The rear are simple enough to do ain't they? Wheel bearings I mean

Thanks again

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
A shaft in perfect condition (with ABS ring etc) should be about £50.

Make sure it comes off the correct car as they all vary ever so slightly, so if you have a mk2 ph2 172 etc, make sure it's off a car that's the same.

The rear wheel bearings... these are pretty much pointless to replace, buy yourself a set of new renault discs, (off of Fred on here or ebay), or G172 to the brake guy on here for brembo discs and for about £100 you will get both discs with the bearings already pressed in.

By the time you've had the bearing pressed out etc, it's pointless normally.

Clio 172
Brilliant thanks again for the help mate. I take it changing the shaft isn't difficult?

And about the rear, that's what I was going to do. So if the bearing is pressed in, it's exactly the same near enough as fitting any other disk!

Thanks again mate

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
One side of the box is a wet side, the other dry, passenger side wet, drivers side dry.

If it's the drivers side it's properly easy, if it's the passenger side you need to take the plug out of the gearbox and fill it again, not exactly rocket science either.

Exactly right on the rear disc, just make sure you don't miss out the spacer that's behind the disc, or your bearing will fail again VERY quickly.