ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel Bearing Question.

RB Recaro'd 182 Cup
I had new rear disks fitted about 3 weeks back. One of the bearings has now failed after only 300 ish miles :mad:

Renault have kindly offered to replace the disk for free. Question is am i safe to drive the car? As i have been told not to. There is no movement of the wheel and it has been ok for the past few days, just noisy!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
if theres no movement, it should be fine, usually they whine for a few thousand miles before movement develops,
though your bearing has clearly not been made properly so its impossible to tell!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Mine droned for a few weeks until I got them replaced boths sides - though it was just the offside rear that was the issue.

You 'should' be ok. But how quickly can you get the replacement on?

D.

RB Recaro'd 182 Cup
Ok thanks guys.

I should be able to get it replaced within the next few days. Guess i will have to use my AA cover if it means travelling any distance.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Not using a torque wrench can cause issues on that big ass bolt Fred? I thought it was just TAF :eek:

Looks like mine's coming off and back on this weekend.

Oh and a quick question regarding the discs you sent out, do you have to use the original spacer things that everyone is talking about?!?

172DD Cup
i would be interested to know about that nut too. i did mine up tight a couple of weeks ago and no noise yet, but didn't know what the torque was. i've got a 10-80 torque wrench, but i guess it should be in the region of 120Nm or something. i could torque it to 80 then a breaker bar for a bit more :)

172DD Cup
Not using a torque wrench can cause issues on that big ass bolt Fred? I thought it was just TAF :eek:

Looks like mine's coming off and back on this weekend.

Oh and a quick question regarding the discs you sent out, do you have to use the original spacer things that everyone is talking about?!?

the discs i got (not from fred) didn't come with spacers, but the original spacers were fine. i bought some from renault in anticipation of finding a broken one, about £7 each.

Lionel Richie
175nm for the rear hub nut

if you don't torque it it will fail

and yes spacers mst be used otherwise the bearing WILL fail also

172DD Cup
cheers. is there anyway to guesstimate the torque using angles, ie upto 80nm then 45 degrees? bit of a bodge i know but it saves forking out for a big torque wrench

Megane RS 250
Fred do you have any advice for the front bearings too? As I already changed the driver side twice and now sometimes it makes a noise again...