ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel bearings mk1

Striped track ****
hi got a mk1 clio 1.2 and i think the front passanger side wheel bearing has gone or going not sure how to tell..

are these expensive to replace and also are they easy to fit any help appriciated...

thanks brad

Silver 172 Ph1
I'm no expert but I had a Skoda fabia the wheelbearing went cost around £100 to fix, grinding noise while driving were the symtoms also if its one side it will probably get quieter if you turn in the opposite direction. Dip the clutch while moving to check its not an engine noise etc.
Take it to a garage get em to check it out and quote you.

You need a press to fit them take the hub off and down to a garage £10 to push a new one in say and say £20 for a new bearing there only one seize I think on the Mk1 none Williams/1.8 16V.

Just had a quote for my 172 bearings from a local garage. Apparently the front bearings are square and are built much stronger.

The rear are tapered and have a tendency to wear out quicker than the fronts.

I know this doesn't seem right but I trust this garages advice.

He quoted me (can't remember got it written down at work) about 40 quid for a pair of rears, and about 50 quid for a pair of fronts plus labour.

Hope this helps

Tungy
Not sure on 1.2's. But I had the wheel bearing out of one of the driveshafts of my valver the other day. This was whilst the driveshaft was out mind. Very tight, but got it off with a hammer, socket extension and 24mm (I think) socket in the end. Probably ot the ebst way to do it but the easiest way I could without damaging anything.

Horace said:
Just had a quote for my 172 bearings from a local garage. Apparently the front bearings are square and are built much stronger.

The rear are tapered and have a tendency to wear out quicker than the fronts.

I know this doesn't seem right but I trust this garages advice.

He quoted me (can't remember got it written down at work) about 40 quid for a pair of rears, and about 50 quid for a pair of fronts plus labour.

Hope this helps
Front bearings are round I'll get a picture if you need.

Rears are push fitted into the disk. They do wear out though. I think he might be ggetting confused with drum rears though as there tapered.

Proper Renault rear bearing each are £35 each in parts and there the only ones I'd ever use as even they don't last forever. Then you need a press which most places charge £10 to use anway.

Font bearings are probly £40 each for the bearings alone.

Striped track ****
cheers for the info spoke to a few other people and they reakon it will cost around £20 - £30

190 BHP Willy 2
I paid £25 for the front bearing on my williams.

Easy enough to do your self will just need a garage to press bearing out for you.

Square bearings????? That defeats the whole object of a wheel bearing!!! Definately round.