ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel decisions :)

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
The time for 4 new tyres is coming soon and i might take this chance for a wheel change and i want some opinions from CS ;)

car is a silver ph1 172 on origonal 15 inch oz f1's, first question should i stick with 15's or go to 16's, i really cant decide :?

secondly wheel choice, ive narrowed down to 3 options

1. keep the oz f1's and powder coat them ( because its free ;)

2. good set of turinis in silver

3. set of team dynamics pro race 1.2's in either gloss black or matte black

im looking for suggestions on wheel size, tyre preference and any other tastefull opinions

thanks jamie

Gay Clio 172 phs1
What you need is a set of red O.z F1's wrapped in toyo R888 :p

Or a set of 16" prima racing williams rep alloys wrapped in Goodyear GSD3 :p

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
lol i have f1's that i can get powder coated for free and im not a fan of thw williams wheel :/

Rusty Cup
I would say matte black 1.2's (i prefer 1's tbh) i wanted them but ended up with anthracite pro race 1's which are sweet and look good in either 15 or 16 but i prefer 15's for extra go and manoeuvrability :)

Westy. MX5
For looks go for the Turinis or TD 1.2's. For speed or if you track the car then some lightweight 15's with trackday tyres. Colour? whatever you like.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
it wont be doing trackdays but it does get a lot of hard driving, how much difference is there in wheel size really? an inch is only 25mm, from the centre from the floor is only increased by 12.5mm, but tyre size is reduced to say a 45 profile tyre, from centre again being 5mm, 12.5 - 5 = 7.5 so the car has only raised 7.5mm from the ground and overall diametre increased by 15mm, if im not wrong ;) how much difference can this make?

also how much heavier is a 16inch 1.2 over a 15 inch f1 ?

i've also drove along side 1*2's with 16's and notice no real difference in handling :/

ta jamie

PH1 172
there wont be that much difference in the handling from 15's to 16's but depending on what wheel you go for you want to reduce your unspring mass, i have a set of oz f1's and a set of pro race 1.2's both in 15's and the pro race are much lighter, i personally would stick wth 15's as the tyre prices for 16's is crazy!!

A

akimbo-slice

im buying my self a set of gold cades eros you should give them a look:)

Westy. MX5
I wouldn't worry about weight differences Jamie. As you are only using it on the road pick the wheels you like the look of, you are not going to notice any difference in speed. As said before 15 or 16 inch tyre prices are quite different, so depends onyour budget.

For 15" wheels you need 195/50/15 and 16" wheels you need 195/45/16 tyres. They will both be about the same circumfernce, within a few millimetres. There are tyre and rim calculators out on the web if you want to know exact measurements and what tyre goes with which rim.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Despite what a few people are saying, the weight of your wheels makes a very noticeable difference to the car. Any weight saved on the wheels, brakes etc is effectively multiplied by 4.

15's are the way forawrd, especially on a ph1. Buy the lightest 15's you can afford.... Team dynamics are pretty light in 15''
O.Z F1's are heavy.

have a look at www.wheelweights.net

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
Everyones saying different lol, thanks for the replies tho, I thought oz f1's where quite light ?

Rusty Cup
i've also drove along side 1*2's with 16's and notice no real difference in handling :/

..Seems a very odd statement tbh, driven along side suggests your driving in a straight line.. and isnt handling something you feel? how can you observe it from another car?

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
..Seems a very odd statement tbh, driven along side suggests your driving in a straight line.. and isnt handling something you feel? how can you observe it from another car?

Ok, driven "with" or followed down twisty roads, you know yourself when driving weather the person infront/behind went round the corner quicker or slower than you, if that's a better explanation lol