ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel nuts impossible to remove?

my wheels were changed over several months ago from standard to 172 wheels.

at the time i was at uni so had to ask a body shop to change them for me. so im presuming they used some sort of air pressure tool to tighten up the wheel bolts . . . . .

anyways theyre impossible to remove by hand now (using the wrench supplied in my renault spare wheel kit)

i want to take them off, and also worried that if i get a puncture im not gonna be able to change it and ill be stuck. . . .

any advice?

cheers

jamie

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
power bar.. go to a tyre place and ask them to crack them off and torque them up to the correct setting.. 85nm or something

haha, that reminds me of scrubs. . . . . . . . . sorry, student with lots of time :D

dave mate is there a specific "tightness"??

jamie

E36 M3. 182
If youve got a haynes manual, there should be a torque setting in there. If youve not got access to a torque wrench, id just tighten them up as much as possible using the brace (no scaffold pole) id have thought it'd be pretty tough to overtorque a wheel nut with the brace.

ok mate much appreciated, ill get the garage just down the road from me to loosen them off for me then tighten them up to the right amount. cheers

jamie

1.6 16v
I have a torque Wrench and i tighten mine up to about 98 -100.

Hope you get it sorted.:)

Why you changing back to the old wheels??

steve

100Nm but between 85 and 110 are fine.

Stand one the wrench if you need to get them off.
One of my pet hates is garages using air tools.

E36 M3. 182
^^ But they sound sooooo cool!!!! why have an air line in your garage if you cant run round with air guns making noises like you hear on the telly!!!!:rasp:

not changing back steve mate, im. . . . .er . . . . . . cleaning the inside of them. yes i am sad. and yes i have ALOT of time on my hands lol

edde - cheers, i have kinda stood on my wrench to loosen them. im not fat. im not heavy. but i have started to bend it already.

jamie

Best bet is to get it to a garage to crack them with an airgun if they are that tight you risk them snapping. If you try with the power bar then don't just pull and pull instead pull and let go like an airgun motion if you get what i mean.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
to get mine off, i jumped on the wrench, slipped off twice and got a massive scar above my ankle. owww.

not changing back steve mate, im. . . . .er . . . . . . cleaning the inside of them. yes i am sad. and yes i have ALOT of time on my hands lol
I used to do that.

I had them tightened to much once, just went to the local tyre place and told them they'd tightened the nuts too tight (they hadn't as I'd never even been there before) and could they loosen them for me. If you don;t want to be dishonest, just ask them if they'll loosen them as a favour, it's not exactly a big job for them.

mk1 RT
at kwik-rip we torque alloys on mk2 clios to 105nm but there have been a few where we have to stand on a breaker bar to undo them as airguns ar not allowed to be used on wheel nuts anymore

how comes rob?

to all those who have posted about breaking their ankles, i feel your pain, im not a heavy chap and so jumping seemed "clever"! now my ankle is out for the next couple of rugga matches :(

jamie

Monaco Blue 172
100Nm but between 85 and 110 are fine.

Stand one the wrench if you need to get them off.
One of my pet hates is garages using air tools.
amen to that! 2 of the studs on my previous car sheared off due to being over-tightened by the garage :eek:

luckily i wasn't going very fast at the time, was away from home tho and had to stay with a friend for several days waiting for the repairs!

hence i always keep a watchful eye on tyre fitters...

glanza
scofolding pole thats how a got mine off when they were on with a windy gun. or the handle off a trolley jack

Monaco Blue 172
not everybody has a scaffold pole to hand?! ;)

last time i used the tube from my vacuum cleaner... it bent :( let that be a warning to you all! :clown:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
garage always put mine on to tight too, i just use my big shiney snap-on guy, it doesnt have much problem!

jumped on my mums wee s**tey renault bar thing when i didnt have mine at hand and it just snapped :S and as all the guys who know me will back me up on, im only 8.5 stone! lol hers was hollow! my standard one was solid

its all about leverage.

you can get a big breaker bar from tesco for £8. its telescopic so it can be extended to increase leverge.