ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel refurb DIY

M

mouthyman

does anyone know any good filler or paint/ to do a DIY wheel refurb?
thanks

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 60
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 68
  • pic 6.jpg
    pic 6.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 70
  • pic 9.jpg
    pic 9.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 80
M

mouthyman

thanks, what filler would be best from paints4u and what grade wet n dry did u use on the filler?

thanks alot

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Upol D Metallic filler . Halfords sell it in smaller tins , about £5.00 .

I used 320 grit , then primed it , sanded it , primed it until i was happy then about 3 or 4 coats of colour until it looked good , then 2 - 3 coats of lacquer .

Your better off getting your paint in rattle cans from a local body shop supplier or motor spares place where they will mix the paint for you . The nozzles on their cans spray better than the off the shelf ones from Halfords .

M

mouthyman

ok thanks, do you recommend any good makes of paint or laquer?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It probably cost me about £25 - £30 , can't remember exactly now . You'll have loads of filler left even from a small tin , so plenty left for future refurbs .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Its alot easier than you think . One of the main things is to keep the wheel clean after each sanding , wash and dry it well before applying more primer / top coat .

You don't need to sand the top coat . But if the lacquer is a little rough you can sand it with very fine wet n dry , 2000 grit , then use Megs scratch X and i will come up really good :)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
^^ ideal mate. Id 'publish' your wee guide in detailing and get it pinned up as a topic, it will help many and sounds spot on.

M

mouthyman

im gonna start as soon as i can, do you thin i could refurb the wheels while still on the car?

A4 Avant & A3
Interesting read, thanks.

The edges of a couple of my turinis need to bee sorted really... suppose it'd be best to do the whole wheel?? or just the rim?
I'm always a bit worried about making the wheels look worse than they are seeing as it's only the actual rim of the wheels.

I did a quick sand & spray on my old 309gti alloys & they actually came up a treat, but then i wasn't all that bothered about that car back then.

A4 Avant & A3
Interesting read, thanks.

The edges of a couple of my turinis need to bee sorted really... suppose it'd be best to do the whole wheel?? or just the rim?
I'm always a bit worried about making the wheels look worse than they are seeing as it's only the actual rim of the wheels.

I did a quick sand & spray on my old 309gti alloys & they actually came up a treat, but then i wasn't all that bothered about that car back then.

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe
The edges are easy to fix, get some filler, then paint them properly. But always remember to do all the prep work the right way and with patience. The first time i did it, I didnt feel like waiting, and ended up having the start all over again.