ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel spacers?

Dynamique+ 1.4
when using wheel spacers say 5mm or maybe 10mm do you need longer bolts or can you stil use your excisiting ones?

You need to check how much spare thread you have but you should always get longer bolts to suit the spacers.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
With a 3 mm spacer its safe to use the standard wheel bolts. With a 10 mm spacer you should absolutely definitely be using a longer bolt. With a 5 mm spacer? Its up to you.

clio 182
The best guide I would suggest is the MSA 'Blue Book' regulation, requiring a grip length on the stud or bolt, of 1.5 times the thread diameter MINIMUM. I've not bothered checking what the Clio bolt dimensions are TBH but let's use a typical fitment of 10mm dia and 1.5mm pitch in the thread, as an example. 10 x 1.5 - 15mm of thread required. Conveniently 10 turns of the bolt @ 1.5mm pitch = that 15mm depth. Check this out on the actual bolt dimensions, or more simply, make sure that the bolts screw in by a depth at least 1.5 times the bolt thread diameter. Hope this helps

clio 182
OK so on checking, the wheelbolts are of course 12mm dia, with a 1.5mm pitch, the most common type. So I reckon you need 18mm depth, most readily checked by seeing if you can get minimum 12 turns of the bolt to tighten it, i.e. 12x1.5 = 18. If not places like DT sell these bolts in grip lengths anything from 26 to 60 mm