ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel wear

Hi. I've got a 28 month old 172, and have covered about 12800 miles in that time. I've been having a few traction problems in the recent bad weather, so to be on the safe side thought I better check out my tyre wear. I'm down to 2mm at the front (in the middle of the tyre) and 5mm at the back. Now I know this means the fronts are definately past it, but the question is should I swap the back to the front, and put a new pair on the back - or should I just replace them all? How bad is 5mm?

I'm thinking about replacing them with the standard ContiSport Contact - is this dumb?

Cheers all.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
I wouldn't change tyres that have 5mm tread left. If it was me i'd swap front to back and keep it like that for a while (what i did on my 182 at 11500 miles) the backs wear very slowly in comparison to the fronts. All depends how deep your pockets are I suppose. Can't fault the PE2's either.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I always put my new tyres on the back and swap the back wheels to the front for 2 reasons !

1st if you have tyres with hardly any tread on the back and you brake hard , especially in the wet or on a bend the front end will stop and the back will slide and want to overtake the front end .

2nd if you always put you new ones on the back and swap the back to the front you will get alot more miles outta your tyres this way .

The original conti sports i had on the front from new lasted me 7500 miles .
Now i always get about 15,000 miles outta of my Toyo proxes .

Cheers MrBillyUK

OK, that's good advice. I don't want to buy 4 new tyres if I don't have to! Should I pay much more for Michelin PE2s than for a ContiSport? Would it be OK to have 2 different types of tyre on the car?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You can put 2 types of tyres on your car just keep the same at the front and same at the back cos different brands will grip slightly different .
I'd go for Toyo proxes T1 - R 's or T1 - S's .
Had 2 new ones ( 195 x 45 x 16's ) fitted yesterday £140.00

Cheers guys. Going for 2 new Contisport for the rear at 135 fitted, and having the backs moved to the front axle. It was nearer 180 for 2 F1 Eagles fitted and I haven't had cause to complain about the standard tyres. Have to see how long 5mm at the front lasts!