ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheels refurbed, why does this keep happening? 182..

Ive had them done twice now both by the same dude and both times the laqeur has started to peel away within 6 months!!
This fella was just some cheap refurber £25-£30 per wheel he would prepare the wheel spray then laqeur job done.
What is wrong with this technique?
The first time I phoned and conplained he basically blamed it on me using the car wash from time to time saying they use corrosive products etc, which I know has some truth in it but why then dont the other 2 factory original alloys corrode also?
Also his colour match wasnt all that, which I did expect being a cheap refurb!!
I want to get them done properly but now feel that any refurb I have done is not gonna last for any longer period??
What process do the original factory wheels go through?

advice and recommendations greatly appreciated

Rob

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Rob, I got my wheels done at Spit and Polish in Tonbridge, Kent. They have been fantastic. approx £40 a wheel too.

Darthcake what process do they use?

how do they differ from the cheapo man?

colour match?
Im after the silver 182 colour and want it to match the other 2 wheels.....

I dont really understand the difference between the powder coating and just spraying?? My issue is with the laqeur finish which just peels off!

cheers

Rob.

CS Dungeon
They need to be powder coated for a lasting finish....spray painting is not adequate, he is cheap for a reason.

You my friend are going to have to dig a little deeper

Hey terrorist! I well up for spending the dough I was just nieve thinking that any job would do....
The doc Ive seen this before friends of fred ya?
The only thing stopping me is that they are far away either cost me extra in fuel or courier!!

Is it the fact that it is sprayed that causes the laqeur to brake down?

Cheap laqeur, or is laqeur just simply laqeur??

Megane225FF
rwaterman - yep, they were done at lab-tab. Good quality too. No peeling. Sounds like you get what you pay for.
Where are you based? Some people may have recommendations in your area...

Lionel Richie
if you can get the wheels to me i can do them in any colour you like for £160 for all 4 (16inch, inc tyre removal/refit & balance!)

No more clio's for me!
Fred - I want to take you up on that offer. But can't decide want colour to have my mk2 wheels done.

Dan

Edit: Mind made up anthercite/charcol :D pm me if you can do 'em

Last edited:
i am v interested in that offer too fred, able to do them in the standard mk 2 172 colour ? how long would it take ? as i dont have any spare wheels so the car would be off the road etc

Hey Doc im based down south from sidcup actually!!
Hi Fred I know you would do the job well its just that the fuel it would cost to get to you and back again, Birmingham right??
How much would it cost to courier 2 wheels up to you, any ideas??
Thats all I want 2 wheels in stunning original 182 silver that wont decay!!!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
rwaterman said:
Darthcake what process do they use?

how do they differ from the cheapo man?

colour match?
Im after the silver 182 colour and want it to match the other 2 wheels.....

I dont really understand the difference between the powder coating and just spraying?? My issue is with the laqeur finish which just peels off!

cheers

Rob.

I think the problem you have is you used him again! If he fcuked it up the first time, why go back??
Things like that, you should only use people who have been recomended to you.

super fast dan I honestly thought I would get it done for free to be honest seeing as it fucked up the first time he blamed it on car wash products, some bollucks! I thought maybe it wouldnt happen again he did do it cheaper second time around!!

My problem is I will have to take my car off the road whilst I wait for the wheels to be done which is obviously quite difficult?!?....... No spares!

Tangoed Works
FredYozzasport said:
if you can get the wheels to me i can do them in any colour you like for £160 for all 4 (16inch, inc tyre removal/refit & balance!)
Can you change the colour of the centres on the original 182 wheels as well, just leaving the Renault badge in the chrome finish?

Lionel Richie
yep! painting centre caps is no prob

can't do 100% original 182 or 172 silver (its too metalic for powder coat) they do silver or high power silver (black powder coat with a silver paint over the top)

Fred if I was to courier then down to you how long would my car have to be off the road for? say from me sending them to you till they are returned to me?

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
Does the powder coat get baked to cure in an oven?

I have read that that weakens the aluminium and so is best avoided.

Steve

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
Not really.

Tempering the metal (heating it) without a carefull cooling process alters the grain structure of the alloy, making it harder and therefore more brittle.

The powder coat for alloy wheels should be of a spec that melts at a lower temperature and so doesn't damage the wheels.

Steve

Sounds like he doesn't know how to paint.

I'd say he's allowing the grey paint to dry too much before laquering. When this happens the laquer has nothing to bond to and peels off.

If he is used proper 2 pac paint and a spray gun he should be laquering about 40mins after painting to get a bonding layer.

It also sounds like he is useing absolutely s**t paint. I refurb rims using proper stuff and a litre of paint is £32-39 and a litre of Very Good laquer plus activator is £23.
The only way he could possibly charge you that £25 a rim is if he is using halfords spray tins (ABSOLUTE SHITE) and barely rubbing them down before painting.

PhilG86 said:
Sounds like he doesn't know how to paint.

I'd say he's allowing the grey paint to dry too much before laquering. When this happens the laquer has nothing to bond to and peels off.

If he is used proper 2 pac paint and a spray gun he should be laquering about 40mins after painting to get a bonding layer.

It also sounds like he is useing absolutely sh*t paint. I refurb rims using proper stuff and a litre of paint is £32-39 and a litre of Very Good laquer plus activator is £23.
The only way he could possibly charge you that £25 a rim is if he is using halfords spray tins (ABSOLUTE sh*tE) and barely rubbing them down before painting.

To be honest mate the paint he was using did not match at all probably was cheap paint like others have said you get what you pay for!!