ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

When filters aren't good

Cupra
Just a heads up for people so that nobody else has to go through the same hassle...

We took our kids to the zoo at the weekend so the camera came along too. I took son#1 to the toilet and hung my camera bag on the door handle so that I wasn't on the floor. He was just about done and I heard another child on the other side of the door, followed by a *thunk as my bag slid off the door handle that he tried.

It was all in my Thinktank Retrospective 30. Apparently the padding on the bottom is not quite thick enough to cushion a 60cm drop.

The damage?

One smashed B&W Kaesemann CPL, one B&W UV filter popped apart (screwed back together again now), two mashed lens caps and a scratched 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII.

The damage is all caused from the lens caps grips being pushed into the elements of the filters. Whether the lenses would have been damaged without filters is anybodies guess, but I've convinced myself that smashed filters is the lesser of two evils.

Everybody loves carnage so... :

IMG_7293.jpg

IMG_7294.jpg

Unfortunately, when I removed it to check the 70-200 for damage, a bit of glass stuck between the filter and the lens front element has scratched the lens. :cry:

IMG_7292.jpg

I'm insured, so will see what the company says when I give them a call. Filter replacement should be straightforward, but removing the scratch from the front of the 70-200 is not so... It doesn't affect photos, but it will affect the resale value and will bug the hell out of me every time I see it.

So, lesson learned, don't hang camera bags on door handles, put more padding in the bottom of my camera bag, don't leave filters on lenses unnecessarily and store lenses with the base cap down rather than the front element.

:(

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted.

Like you say, wont affect picture quality but the fact that you know its there will bug you. And the resale value too.

What thickness padding is in your bag then?

Cupra
About 1cm of fairly dense foam. I'll be using some of the spare inserts across the bottom from now on!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Oh dear :dapprove:
As you say thankfully it was the filters that took the brute force and not the lens, but that little scratch on the lens will bug you - forever! :(

The kid must have been a Nikon user - aahhhh they learn so quickly these days ;)

275 Trophy
Ouch! The general rule is that filters help to protect the lens surely? If your filter hadn't of broken, it could have been the lens. Having a Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 myself, I know how expensive they are and a filter always lives on mine, for this reason.

The B&W filter won't have been cheap either I bet?

Blimey, that sucks man.

Have to appreciate the irony of everyone telling you to leave filters on to protect your Lens.... >.<

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Ouch - sorry to hear that, mate. :( When I'm out and about I have a layer of bubble-wrap around my lenses, body, etc. It means I carry a bigger bag and have less items in but it's saved me a few quid and heartache on a few occasions.