ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where Can I Get A Rear Strut Brace... A Fat Diameter One?

Coiley'd Clio PH2
I seem to remember that Russ had a really fat aluminium rear strut brace on his car.
It was a really wide one and he had his harnesses attached to it.
Anyone know where i can get one?
Or would it have to be custom made?

Cheers Muchly

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
IIRC theyre not accually strut braces,

they dont connect to the top of the strut, but to the inside of the chassis instead,
and theyre only for mounting harnesses to, they dont actually act as a strut brace.

I will add some pictures of some that we have made for customers - they are made from roll cage tube, and are welded in between the rear arches.

/y0z

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I will add some pictures of some that we have made for customers - they are made from roll cage tube, and are welded in between the rear arches.

/y0z

Would be interested but wouldnt want to weld it into place!

ITB'd MK1
I seem to remember that Russ had a really fat aluminium rear strut brace on his car.
It was a really wide one and he had his harnesses attached to it.
Anyone know where i can get one?
Or would it have to be custom made?

Cheers Muchly

Attaching harneses to a strut brace is stupid enough on it's own, but to an aluminium one???

Rear strut braces that attach to the shocks on a clio are totally pointless. They only "work" on vehicles where the strut can effect the geometry.

A harness bar should be out of steel, and fixed to a rigid mount point. A bolted arrangement to the rear lower seatbelt mounts is a logical and strong solution

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
So what y0z has said is also pointless on Clios? Just a bar between the struts but NOT on the top of the shocks?

ITB'd MK1
I wouldn't want to say nothing at all, it'll stiffen the shell to a degree. Minimal benefit, something you'd do to a full on track car, just "because"

E39 M5 & Corsa track
we make some that bolt between the rear struts using 4 high tensile cap heads to bolt it to the body work, mounting one to the top of the rubber mounted shock top mount wont gain you anything other than looks.

the effects with the clio arn't as great as some other cars, but as they say every little counts.

Coiley'd Clio PH2
Hmmm, well i wanted one more for mounting harnesses and for looks really.
Not too bothered about rigidity of the car as its pretty solid anyway.

Tbh, i didnt think about the properties of aluminium, i just remember that it looked like aluminium.

Yoz if you could add some pictures, that would be great.

Broster, could you post some pictures of the ones you make aswell please.

Ill try and find a picture of the one Russ had...

Coiley'd Clio PH2
Found A Pic:

sub5.gif

After one just like that.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Indeed, its not a good idea to mount harnesses to there tbh, if you had a rear ender the harnesses would go slack and you would go flying potentionally, its also an MOT failure as far as im aware. Use the rear seatbelt mounts.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Surely though if that car was set up like that, it must of had to pass an MOT?

Friendly MOT or just moved them for the MOT? Or even just removed them and used the standard belts (if they where still fitted) 101 ways to get around an MOT tbh.

The one that Russ had was a custom made one. It was purely for show as his car as a Euro show car. It had no strength to it what so ever, and did bugger all! Just looks and attachment for the harnesses when the car was driven.

Coiley'd Clio PH2
I have one roughly the same as that if you want it?

Its not got the harness attachements but if your intersted i'll try and get some pics of it for you!

Yea hook me up with some pics.
It would literally be for show, wouldnt actually drive around with it like that.

YHPM

Coiley'd Clio PH2
Got myself one now :D

Anyone know what the best way to mount it is?
Im guessing i just drill out some holes in the metal and screw into it...

Just wanna make sure theres nuffin behind it that i could damage.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Got myself one now :D

Anyone know what the best way to mount it is?
Im guessing i just drill out some holes in the metal and screw into it...

Just wanna make sure theres nuffin behind it that i could damage.

Only your rear shocks