ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where do I stand with this .. Police/Number plate content

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
Got followed into a petrol station tonight by the 5-0 .. i drove past them leaving work with my fogs on .. left on accidentally due to driving through darkish lanes on the way to work, makes it a bit easier .. anyway.

He was going all over the car trying to find stuff he could do me for, tyres, insurance etc .. he saw the front number plate and told me its illegal and needs changing, "if i see you again, it'll be 3 points and a fine" .. and i dont really want that.

He kept pointing to his and saying its not the same. so where do i stand, do i NEED to change the plate or am i still actually legal?

12088379_10156209430050151_3385233766532761680_n.jpg

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Well it's the wrong size and doesn't appear to have markings so yes it's illegal.

It also looks stupid, why these small plates are popular is beyond me.

SQ5
You can only get points for offences that are dangerous to others I believe, and I don't think your number plate is going to attack anyone

BG182
I was pulled and fined £100 for exactly the same size plate, you got lucky, I got a real b*****d I even had the correct one in the boot but he wasnt for letting us swap it.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Fogs blazin' yO! Should have fined you for that alone!

I'm kidding of course, but how you could you not know that the plates weren't legal? I think you were lucky they let you off to be fair.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I never got pulled for the 3 plus years i have had them on my clios

Dont drive likean idiot or have fog lights on when it isnt foggy....and no need to pull you over :wink:

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
I love how it's all bs on the fogs and saying I'm a dick driver haha
It's a habit to have them on while driving the lanes .. I had no reason for them to be on at night due to no fog :)
I'm not one of them kids who drives round when them on all the time!

Anyway, I asked about the plate :)

PH2 RS172
plates illegal - £100 on the spot fine so you were very lucky

oh and stop 'accidentally' blazin' dem fogs fam!

Last edited:

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
There's more than enough to threads on here to know the plate is illegal. All the threads come to the same conclusion, if you fit one you run the risk of being pulled.

'Forgetting' about your fogs made you stand out hence being pulled.

PH2 RS172
only a bit of banter, but surely you must realise that most people who pass someone in a renault sport clio with the fogs on will think a complete G is at the wheel. its hard enough most of the time to not look like a chav in a clio with them off..... that and they do jack all anyway lol

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Fog lights illuminate about 3m in front of the car. Unless the 'lanes' are populated by ied's and you're going 3mph, they won't help.

Sounds like the fella has seen a fog light driver, and decided to ruin his day. Understandable.

Ph1
With all the idiots on the road if this is the best the police can do, a few mm reduction in the size of a reg plate and a set of front fogs then they must be desperate...

2014 Clio 200t edc
I drove with my private plate cut down for years (I measured the distance from the edge of a standard 7 digit plate and used that as a rule for my cut down. Never had a problem whatsoever and that was parked on a police station car park for a while.
Problem is each officer deals with things differently and whether they can be bothered or have the time to stop for little things. I'd change it as you will get stopped, and probably by the same officer!!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
With all the idiots on the road if this is the best the police can do, a few mm reduction in the size of a reg plate and a set of front fogs then they must be desperate...

So driving with fog lights should be made legal? Does my head in comments like this! It's the law and it's the polices job to enforce it.

'Shouldn't you be out catching burglars' brigade.

Status
Not open for further replies.