ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which 172/182

Ive decided to sell my Fiat Coupe 20VT and move back to the Clio fold. It was just agony picking up my other halfs new Clio from Renault a month or two ago and seeing a brand new 182 in the flesh!

Anyhow, I will be selling the Coupe when the market picks up in the spring and then looking for a sub 3-year old 172 - or possibly even a 182 if Im feeling flush. No Williams or 16V for me unfortunately because I dont have the time to find a minter anymore!

What Id like some perspective on is which model to go for. It seems that Mk1 and Mk2 172s are coming in pretty close to each other at about £6-8k. I think a 172 Cup would be the ideal choice if they were closer in price to the 172s (which I understand because theyre younger).

The other possibility is a brand new 182/Cup from the lease car scheme at work (NHS). This would be the cheapest route, but Im not 100% sure I qualify. Obviously I would take this if I were able to!

Most important to me are driveability, ability, looks and handling.

So, fire away please. I have my own views on them, but would like to hear yours.

Cheers :D

Surely the 182 is the car for you then if you are eligable for the car scheme, otherwise preferably the cup if you dont mind not having the gizzmoz, though all these cars are roughly the same so which every you can afford really.

Black 182 + Recaros

I think the 172 mk1 is becoming a bit of a classic. You deffo dont see as many. I had one. Very nice indeed. I swapped for a 172 mk2. The handling was much better on the mk2, but nothing you couldnt do to the mk1.

For gadgets and handling then the 172 mk2 or 182 are much better.

Clio 182, Audi A3

If you can go for a 182, have a try of one without Cup suspension. I drove a couple of 172s and my impression is the 182 is firmer. Youd prefer a Cup on track days Im sure, but dont let them tell you the standard 182 is soft, its as firm as I could want on an everyday car and wonderful to drive on twisty roads. If I were buying again, Id go for the Cup bodywork, though, I think you can do this without the suspension and the foul grey wheels. And Arctic Blue looks stunning.

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 20 November 2004

Wont attempt to advise you on car choice, just gonna say LOL at coming back to Clio ownership!!

Quality.
:confused:

Coming back to a hot hatch because I live right in the city centre now. Although I have a big yard at the back of the house, the Coupes undertray fouls three of four possibly entrances to the alleyway and its a beast to park with that long nose!

So, a hot hatch it is... and theres only one consistent maker of excellent hardcore hot hatches.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,

I had my mk1 172 for 3 yrs untill trading in for the 182 with cup packs. I loved the 172 to bits, fast, handled great! looked fantastic! Then came the 182..... so much better than the mk1 172.. The 172 is a great car... but compared to the182 it just seems a bit un-refined, which will suit many.. but would catch out the less experisnced driver. The car would be a bit "skitish" should you cross a road marking or the black tar lines left after a road repair, whilst chucking it into a corner. It certaily made interesting driving in the wet! Having said that, the 182 isnt perfect, hey.. wot car is?.. Ive managed to get that sidways in the wet, but its a more progresive thing, if that makes sence, i feel the 172 snaps, and bites if not treated with a firm hand. lol... Sorry to waffle on, hope it makes sence to someone, its just my opinon. Love both cars for their individual quirkyness!!

Shaun

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 20 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 20 November 2004

Wont attempt to advise you on car choice, just gonna say LOL at coming back to Clio ownership!!

Quality.
:confused:

Coming back to a hot hatch because I live right in the city centre now. Although I have a big yard at the back of the house, the Coupes undertray fouls three of four possibly entrances to the alleyway and its a beast to park with that long nose!

So, a hot hatch it is... and theres only one consistent maker of excellent hardcore hot hatches.
:D

Wasnt meant to be a criticism dude.. quite the opposite..

Renault Laguna Coupe

Build quality seems to be much better on the newer cars, so sell everything you own and get a new 182 (or nearly new) if you can.

Hi,

Iam selling my Black 182. Its done 6700 miles. Been lovingly cared for.

Balance of manf warranty, AA cover, ect. Its got chassis and body pack, and the 6 CD changer. I have jusy got a megane 225 because my family is growing!!

I want £11500 ono.

email me at mailto:gary@gdavnewt.freeserve.co.uk">gary@gdavnewt.freeserve.co.uk for pics.

Gary.

In the time that Ive had my mk2 172 my sis has had a mk1 172, a 172 Cup and now she has a 182 with cup pack, so Ive driven them all quite a bit.

Rather than saying which is best (they all have good points!) If I was looking to change my car then I would go for the newest, low miles, best value for money car that I could afford

Mini Cooper S sport

Id go for the 182. If I can, Ill only keep the 172 for about another year then change it for a used 182.

BTW I love the colour of that racing blue 182 in the avatar above, it really shows up.

Id see what happens to prices in 5 months I can see those Cup 182 being very cheap as people arent willing to buy them at the sliglty reduced prices so youll be able to get a pre registered one for ~£10k from a dealer.

Depends hw much you want to spend though, Id look at the prices if the 182 Cups go cheap it will make the last of the 172 even cheaper and Id personally get one of those.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Hi Ben, long time no hear, i sold the valver and got a Cup and gotta say extremely pleased with it. got it for 8.5K with under 10k on the clock and it flies! Didnt expect to be that quick tbh.

The 182s are coming down in price now so maybe go for one of those, but if your budget is limited and you want just as much fun as the willy/valver than the Cup is the way forward. Smoked a Cooper S this morning with ease all good fun ;)

PM me the details Adam. I cant see me shifting the Coupe until the spring, mainly because I have accountancy exams over the next few weeks - and its no time to be selling a car!

Good to hear youre enjoying the Cup Aaron - its a firm favourite for me because of the non-leather interior.