ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Car Next

Im looking in the near future to get a new car. At the mo ive got a modded valver but desporatly need something reliable!!!

Ill be getting a new car a soon as ive sorted out my mortgage and im looking at spending about 8K.

What car do u think i should get? It has to be an upgrade from the 16v performance wise and spec wise.

So far ive got in mind Seat leon 1.8T 20V.....but recently been tempted with a ph2 172??????....and im getting more and more keen on staying with renault.

What would u guys do? should i stay with renault or move on?????

.....or keep the 16V?????

Andy.

Not a Clio

walk round a few car supermarkets and see what they have in. Sometimes youll see something you really like but never considered.

I dont really like ibizas.

If u had to choose between the Loen or the 172 what would u go for?

................is the 172 reliable and good performance for money?

i was actually toying with idea of turning my valver into a track car.......but as always itll just turn into a MASSIVE money pit!!!

So is your budget the 180bhp Leon? Unless i had a family i consider them far too big and heavy to be considered a hot hatch.

For that price a 172 is good value really, especially as you can get extendable warranties now. The problem is, once youve bought it it will be worth nothing.

-Rob

LY 200

I prefer the Leons to the Ibizas but and thats a very big but i only like the Cupra R versions and Leons so much more expensive than the Ibizas!!!

Id rather take the Ibiza and the performance!!!

WAS a Valver - what next?

If you can stetch your budget and look hard enough you may be able to pick up a 51 plate Civic Type R for that. I sold mine last year as it was only being used twice a week and we needed the money to pay for an extension. The performance, bilud quality and (IMO) the looks are excellent. The handling is also excellent but the steering is a bit vague, you do get used to it though. The Naples Valver I have just bought gives you better feedback and more confidence.

Whats all this about reliability with the valvers???? I didnt know they were common for un-reliability? Im getting a bit worried now!!! Although mine has been extremely well looked after by its 3 previous owners (last one being MattsClio) and has only covered 75k.

Type R?????....cool, ill have take a look at these

So is the general opinion that i should just leave 172s?

I would prefer a Type R to a 172!

.......Is the insurance on the 172 resonable?...group 16 isnt it?. Whats the Type R?

Silver 182 F/F

Ive just swapped a leon cupra for my 182,due to the fact i replace my car every three years.So can give my opinion on both.182 is fast and like a little go-kart brings a big smile to face while flying around winnding roads,but you cant beat been in a cupra on longer straighter runs i allready miss the kick of the turbo,plus its classed has the cheaper range of the vw/audi familly but yet out performs most of there range,which knocks the smile off their faces.Plus not many people know much about the cupra so when you floor it,it catches people by suprise.So it depends which style of driving you like.

Out of both cars i would have bought another cupra,but money was tight.

P.S can you tell im missing it.wish i could have both cause i love the clio too.

Quote: Originally posted by AndyV_16V on 24 February 2005

Type R?????....cool, ill have take a look at these

So is the general opinion that i should just leave 172s?

I would prefer a Type R to a 172!

.......Is the insurance on the 172 resonable?...group 16 isnt it?. Whats the Type R?

type r is group 17

Type R is group 18. Was costing me £420 FC with FNC and I was 27 when I bought it new. That was with Privilege although Ive just swapped to More Than with the valver as they were cheaper (£270 Priv, £220 MT).

Search for one and stretch that budget, its worth it!

E91 M Sport

Out of the 172 and Civic?

172 = fun handling but french

CTR = boring for a hot hatch, although quick and good build

or (because Ive been waving the flag all evening)....

FRP = amazing handling, proper track-type car, but not good for long journeys! (very very small amount of depreciation) ;)

Quote: Originally posted by JayR on 24 February 2005

Whats an FRP??
Ford Pump Racing.

There were £20k new I think absolutly amazing handling a bit sddhot in the HP department I belive compaired to other cars.

CTR looks boring!!!!!! Youve got to be joking!!!!??? It looks the absoloute business! I think its the most purposful looking hot hatch out there. Although I bought one new so Im slightly biased, and, as you said, its your opinion.

E91 M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 24 February 2005

Quote: Originally posted by JayR on 24 February 2005

Whats an FRP??

Ford Pump Racing.

There were £20k new I think absolutly amazing handling a bit sddhot in the HP department I belive compaired to other cars.
Like Reebok pumps, only better ;)

Racing pumas were £23k new, which in almost everyones view, was a complete rip-off. But you can now own a 4 year old example for £8k, and sell it for the same in a years time. The insurance is cheaper than a cup or a CTR, and the handling is better.

JayR, if 0-100 times are all thats important, then I think hot hatches arent the right thing for you. What the FRP does best is make you feel like the car is an extension of you - sounds weird I know, but the damn thing is just so exciting to drive, I havent felt anything else like it.

no thats the catch, they only come in silver!

but theres a big difference between spending 4k on a Satria than spending 8k on a ph2 172! (dont wont a ph1)

i could chip the satria to make it bit quiker than my valver?????

(p.s. oli u seen brads new place yet?)

A silver Honda

Id look into it more, i dont know how tuneable they are.

Yeah, Brads place is proper nice, small but very nice.

172s are nice but as with all the renault sports quite a hard ride, I found the leon R better and certainly a nicer driving position for long journeys. Wish Id gone for something a bit smoother than the clio now but mpg is good and I still get the grin on a B road blat.

Those proton GTIs are pretty slow, I seem to remember trying one before I got my MK4 1.8 Astra SRI (125bhp). The astra was definately quicker and better handling, doesnt say a lot for the proton.

If i was to get a satria id have to keep my 16v as a track car!!! hehe

At the mo i need a newish car for reliability so this does seem to be a good choice of car.