ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Clio for 1st car?

Hey guys,

It's a little while off yet until i can start learning to drive but it's on my mind a lot and really cannot wait!:)

I like Clio's think they're good looking cars and don't stand out like a sore thumb.

I'd like to know your thoughts on what Clio's are best for a first car? Factoring in purchase price, insurance, maintenance costs.

I'm not sure of budget yet so all information is appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Enough for what, if your hoping to beat Type R's then no.

If it's enough to give you a lot of fun and enjoyment for a few years then yes, plus the Dynamique has all the toys.

If it's enough to give you a lot of fun and enjoyment for a few years then yes, plus the Dynamique has all the toys.

Enough power to get about really, Mum has a 1.2 and it struggles.

The 1.4 looks good though, i'd want the toys so dynamique is a great model.

Thanks
Mike

depends how much you have to spend really..also think about tax and mot time and anything that might need fixing..

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
2001-2005 1.2 Clio Dynamique.

+1 (well, two if you count me & my lass)

We loved ours. They're quite pokey considering they're 1,149cc. DOn't go down the 172 rep route though, in my opinion the look awesome if you go euro style. Wish I'd seen the pic's of some of the one's on here before I got rid of mine. Would have done some cool stuff to it.

They feel a lot quicker than their quoted 0-60 time as well :D

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF

Enough power to get about really, Mum has a 1.2 and it struggles.

The 1.4 looks good though, i'd want the toys so dynamique is a great model.

Thanks
Mike

There's a HUGE difference between the 1.2 8v and the 1.2 16v...

visualize whirled pe
The 1.2 is a work-a-day run about which will cope with motorway runs and will get you from A to B. If you can afford £2k+ in insurance sure get the extra 200cc's but imho just get something cheap to run as your first car.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
buy my car!
desktop.jpg

its a clio 1.2 16v :) 32k miles

£4000

/carl

even for a 1.2...expect your insurance to be quite high...if you take your own policy out...

sometimes over a grand...mucho expensive....unless u go tpft...but some companies wont allow that...

insurance is the worst thing your up against tbh...

1.2 purely for insurance reasons, expect to pay about 1.5k for your first year of insurance fully comp.

Anything bigger engine wise will be stupid money to insure.

even for a 1.2...expect your insurance to be quite high...if you take your own policy out...

sometimes over a grand...mucho expensive....unless u go tpft...but some companies wont allow that...

insurance is the worst thing your up against tbh...

agree, very important factor

the cheapest insurance i could find when i got my 1.2 dynamique at 17 was £1900

Thanks for all the replies.

I want to go on my own policy straight away no messing.

May as well take the hit early!

Buy something nice at 21 maybe.:)

Oh btw Barron, you're car is very nice.:)

Regards
Mike

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
Swine... Looks awesome though mate!

But not as good as they'd look on my black one... :rasp:

197 Albi Blue
1.2 16V just for insurance really. When i first started driving i was still getting quotes of £1600 for it.

tbh it is enough for day to day driving, handles motorways easily. You just need to use the range of gears a bit more than in more powerful car.

ive just bought a campus sport, stuck with 1.2 16v cause insurance and it does the job. Just got to wait for it to be made now 6 weeks already!!