ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which clio would you choose?

work for BMW
so i am deliberating which car i want to get when i get back to the UK. My searches all ways end up looking at Clios lol , i guess i'm addicted as most on Cliosport are.
Anyways max budget around £2k and i am thinking either a Phase1 172 or find a white 1.2 phase2 and do the usual Oz f1s, springs, sports grill and colour coding.

I know Phase1 172s are becoming increasingly harder to find , especially a good example how ever i am not too keen on a phase2 172, just seem .. too common. All though the phase1 interior is very aged looking now and lacks any modern niceties.

A good example white 1.2 is also pretty hard to find but i quite like the rarity of them, great MPG and cheap parts but they are boring as f**k to drive lets be honest.

My insurance for a 172 is only £400 now which isnt so bad where as the 1.2 is around £300-350.

So basically .. which would you go for and why?

Passat
Well do you want a 1.2 runaround or a 2.0 hot hatch? How on earth is anyone supposed to make that decision for you?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I'm confused. A 1.2 Clio, or a 172? If you can afford to run a 172, why on earth would a 1.2 even come into the equation?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'd have a ph1 172 over any other pre 197 Clio (except V6 of course)

Clio 1.2 dynamique
Ph 1 172 for me! I'm hunting for one at the moment and having a hard job finding one that hasn't been messed about with!

work for BMW
Just because I can afford it doesn't mean it's the one I want in the grander scheme of things, 1.2 has cheaper parts, less tax and cheaper mpg and wider market for resale for example :)

As already said a phase1 172 is not so easy to find anymore, could mean months of searching!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
If you wanted MPG and cheaper tax etc, get a DCi

172 are peanuts to run anyway, except for the belts.

work for BMW
If you wanted MPG and cheaper tax etc, get a DCi

172 are peanuts to run anyway, except for the belts.

I won't do anywhere near enough miles for a DCI though they are a great shout. A 172 is tempting me big time

Clio 1.2 dynamique
I have had 3 1.2 clios (both PH1 and PH2) the running costs are lower when compared to something like a 172, and once up to speed can be quite an exciting drive (in a "entertaining way" as appose to a thrilling way)

But I got bored of mine very very quickly - If you do go for a 1.2, I found the 8v nicer than the later 16v to drive.... No idea why as it has less power and is rougher... Just seemed more ready and willing to go! (if any of that made sense)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Unless I was 17 or I'd been a very naughty boy and got a million points on my licence or been done for drink driving I'd never think of getting a 1.2

Get a ph1 172 - it's as much of a no brainer as being offered a blowy off all of the Pussycat Dolls.

work for BMW
It's not all about speed and how fast it goes, the 1.2 is a very efficient nice to drive car. Nothing wrong with driving one at all lol.

work for BMW
I was simply letting the guy know that the 1.2 are a good car as well as 172s, hence my choice difficulty

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Wow, hostile response to you fella! Don't know what's going on there :S are you definitely between those two choices? I picked up my Clio 182 for £1,850 and that was over 2 years ago so there are even better deals around now! I've had a few problems but all been very cheap to fix... trust me, try running a 320bhp Impreza first then going to a Clio, anything will seem cheap to run!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I can relate to the above, currently got an impreza. Anyway I can't really see where your coming from mate

172vs182, I can understand the dilemma
1.2 Clio vs 1.2 corsa, I can understand your dilemma

1.2 vs 172 Clio, I can't understand your dilemma

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You want a ph1 172 with a ph2 interior....

Oh, look what i've got!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm going to have to sell it soon. I really need a van. Tax and MOT is up at the end of the month so I'll probably renew both then get an advert up. :(

work for BMW
Wow, hostile response to you fella! Don't know what's going on there :S are you definitely between those two choices? I picked up my Clio 182 for £1,850 and that was over 2 years ago so there are even better deals around now! I've had a few problems but all been very cheap to fix... trust me, try running a 320bhp Impreza first then going to a Clio, anything will seem cheap to run!

Not quite sure either, obviously they were offended by something!
It's a dilemma as my funds are limited and I could Max my budget on a 172, then be stuck if anything goes wrong. I guess the 1.2 is just a safer option with room to breath but my heart says phase1