ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Gearbox

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

Hello!,

As some of you may know, i need a new gearbox :oops:. I was running a Willy box which was/is fine.

was thinking, top end speeds dont really bother me, i cud live with having a top end of 115 or so.. but could someone suggest a lower ratiod box which would increase my acceleration, yet take the power i have? (160ft of torque, 170bhp) its for a Valver hybrid.

many thanks!

john

Caddy Maxi

a kangoo box mate, speak to mark ritchspeed as he had one fitted to hit williams and iirc the ratios are about what you want ;)

JC5 is the better box to go for its stronger and better built for the revs and torque. Mark has damged the box he has using 7.5k on the track very very quickly.

Id recomend a 172/ 182 box as they will fit and take the power Mk2 would be the one to go for with the shorter ratios but top speed will be about the same. However you have to find a way of making the speedo work as the output on the 172 box is electric whereas Mk1 Clios have mechanical outputs.

Tom Seal at DR Engineering has done some development on JC3/5 boxes, woth checking him out on Gripper Differentials web page.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

but will the kangoo box take my power and torque? ?

Quote: Originally posted by JonnyK on 29 August 2005

but will the kangoo box take my power and torque? ?
The diesel box should take the torque the 1.9 TD engine can make more torque than your engine does but its not designed to spin at 7k or so.

Id just get a Williams box personally or if you want to save some money a 16v box.