ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which is quicker to 60

Renaultsport Clio 182

Have been pondering this for a few days.......

two cars, exactly the same (weight, size) but powered differently

Car 1 has a 2litre N/A with max power output of 182bhp engine while Car 2 has a 2litre turbod with max power output of 182bhp engine.

Which is quicker to 60?
Which has the faster top speed?
Which is more responsive to throttle movement?

Any thoughts?

Mine are that the N/A engine would be more responsive (no turbo lag) but would be slower to 60, while it would have the higher top speed due to power distrubution. Am I right?

Renaultsport Clio 182

two many variables?

hmmm, need to find someone with a 2litre turbo car that kicks out 182bhp.

assuming they weight the same, have the same drag coefficient etc i would say the turbo would be quicker as it would have more torque.

but there are so many variable it is impossible to give and accurate answer.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

As mcbunny said you cant really say

All ill say is a turbo power car will have more torque! So will probably be quicker to 60, quicker to respond and will pull much better at higher speeds

it would need excatly same weight same weight distribution exactly the same gear box same drag cofe etc etc

but in theory the tyrbo would win as it has far more torque

Cant say!!!

you got to think about the amount or torque, traction, what revs the turbo kicks in (this makes a huge difference) ,suspension set up, the tyres its running and so on!!!

Renaultsport Clio 182

Okay everything is exactly the same, drag coefficient, tyres, everything ....... except the engine configuration.

I admit the turbo will help pull better at higher speeds but I reckon the N/A will have a higher top speed as it will dissipate it power more evenly at high rpm

erm no if the gearbox is the same the top speed is the same

unless one has much less power and physically cant get to that speed

in an impossible hypothetical world the turbo would win

I think people always seem to assume that the turbo = noticable lag but its not always the case. As has been said, too many variables...

yeah a low pressure turbo can have virtually no lag non that would get you left beghind anyway high pressure ones can have huge lag

again....... a big dependent is when the turbo kicks in!! my old scoob came in really early at 2.5k so 0-60 was rapid, but some cars dont kick in till 3 or 3.5k which makes a huge difference to the 0-60 time!

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 27 June 2005

erm no if the gearbox is the same the top speed is the same

in an impossible hypothetical world the turbo would win
2 engines, same gearbox attached - the engine which revs higher will achieve a higher top speed...

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 27 June 2005
Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 27 June 2005erm no if the gearbox is the same the top speed is the same

in an impossible hypothetical world the turbo would win[/QUOTE]<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">2 engines, same gearbox attached - the engine which revs higher will achieve a higher top speed...

remembver he said it was the same ;)

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Torque figures would be far more appropriate. BHP is irrelevant for what youre suggesting.

As Clart says tho, who cares

Elise/VX220/R26

depends on the mapping of how the power is delivered, if manufacturer has been working to different standards on emissions might affect how the power is delivered etcetc gearing comes into it obviously, tyres the list is as endless as it is pointless. What cars we on about then apart from obviously a 182?

Quote: Originally posted by Chris&Amber on 28 June 2005
The NA car would walk away from it.need a good deal more bhp from a turbo car to match an NA car - FACT

go on then tell us why come on i dare you

Well for a start a turbod 182bhp 2litre car will not be terribly good engine if thats what its extracting unless its only running 1PSi or so.

NA cars have a better power band feed than turbo cars. When you have mapped a few you will also agree.

Bottom line is response and delivery are better than they would be on a tubo car.

Turbo engines and NA engines are entirely different, squish bands and static CR are higher in NA cars than turbo cars thus crisper response.

If any of you have ever used an accelerative dyno you will note the difference in power delivery. Turbo cars have the peak power but its not there from the off, its like fitting a decent bottom end to an NA, one run shows 50bhp to peak power which is the same but then you fit a decent crank, fly, rods etc and it will show 75bhp, thats an increase of 25 accelerative bhp.

Peak torque and bhp figures are higher and a rr printout will show more power through the rev range on the turbo, but you dont drive like you do on a RR.

Rolling roads are not there just whizz a car up to peak power in an instant wliek the cars can do on the road, you need to make sure its ok, this means proloning it to get the heat into the chambers then adjust fueling etc

I personannly hate doing it, spending hours tweaking things does my box in, I haven;t done it in a few years, I just make the engines.

But I forgot this is cliosport where 1.2 owners know better than us engine builders.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

BHP sells cars - TORQUE wins races. Bottom line is a turbo will have a huge torque advantage from midway in the rev range.

Also turbos work in different ways, mine for instance is a twin entry designed specifically for low lag.

lol ok, torque wies races whatever, why build 900bhp but 300ftlb cars then? Why not sod the power then just get the torque?

Twin entry turbos are not exactly new and i think we all know what they are for. Main benefits are they allow a larger A/R ratio and for it to remain driveable.

Armchair esperts I luv em! lol

Quote: Originally posted by Chris&Amber on 29 June 2005
lol ok, torque wies races whatever, why build 900bhp but 300ftlb cars then? Why not sod the power then just get the torque?Twin entry turbos are not exactly new and i think we all know what they are for. Main benefits are they allow a larger A/R ratio and for it to remain driveable.Armchair esperts I luv em! lol

like we said at the top of the page if the are exactly the same then they would draw !!