ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Media Centre/Streaming Device

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Hey Guys,

Have my main pc upstairs with lots of tv shows/movies etc.. lots of which are in .mkv format and are 1080p etc.

what is the most format friendly cheapest device that can plug into my tv downstairs that would access all of my movies via ethernet? (I used to use a ps3 and I know the best option is probably building a media pc, but ultimatley i want a device that costs less than £100)

many thanks!

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
really? its played everything i have tried, mostly .Mkv files and 3D SBS Mkv files. Also i think it gives a better picture than my PS3 and takes NTFS sticks which the ps3 doesn't

really? its played everything i have tried, mostly .Mkv files and 3D SBS Mkv files. Also i think it gives a better picture than my PS3 and takes NTFS sticks which the ps3 doesn't

It always played everything I wanted. The trouble I had was getting it to read the hard drive or memory stick I plugged Ito it.

Gave up with it and bought a Playstation and stream wirelessly now. So much easier

Polo + Micra
i've got one of these

gives a better picture when playing .mkv files than my HTPC

although i'd probably get one of these if bought another

Tesla MP3 2021
Whats your max budget.

I use a Mede8er which is one of the best on the market. I have it connected to my LAN and play all of my content off my NAS.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
ideally £100, the wd tv live seems to fit the bill so far.

Polo GTi
WDTV Live is brilliant, I use mine everyday and I havent had anything that it doesnt play, plus does 1080p and DTS, awesome bit of kit.

Go cry to your momma!
I tried a WDTV live and an AC Ryan playon HD (I think that was it's name)
Both had their faults so I opted for the popcorn A110 in the end. It's been faultless playing from my Qnap NAS which has my whole library of TV and movies on it.
Been using the popcorn for 18months now.

I did consider the earlier mentioned medi8er but I've never tried one.

If the pc you have upstairs is running windows Vista or 7, then your best bet is to get a xbox 360 slim (as their not as loud) and use it as an extender. It will connect directly to the pc upstairs and access anything that's on the hhd. Also will stream .mkv

If you then want to display all the tv programs and film nicely then media browser is awsome for that. It will have all imbd data info and all your films can have dvd covers so you can see what they are.

I would take a picture of my setup but currently at work.

Rav4
WDTV Live is brilliant, I use mine everyday and I havent had anything that it doesnt play, plus does 1080p and DTS, awesome bit of kit.

This is what I bought my mum, works great, she needs simple things.

The only issue I have had is that on the coverflow, it doesn't show the movie info, however, when you are inside the movie it does.

Great purchase

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
If the pc you have upstairs is running windows Vista or 7, then your best bet is to get a xbox 360 slim (as their not as loud) and use it as an extender. It will connect directly to the pc upstairs and access anything that's on the hhd. Also will stream .mkv

If you then want to display all the tv programs and film nicely then media browser is awsome for that. It will have all imbd data info and all your films can have dvd covers so you can see what they are.

I would take a picture of my setup but currently at work.

gave this a go tonight as we do have 3 xbox's in my house and it seems to work a treat. however my 1080p films do not seem display in my shared folders from the xbox!

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
shared in the same (network shared) folder on my pc where the 720p mkv's are, so unsure why it can't see them!