ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

which oil- valver

Naples 16v

This oil thing is getting to me now, as Im going to be doing an oil change soon what do you all recommend I use for my valver? Im thinking 5w 40 syn. but what brand?

use 10w 40 part synthetic, i would advise against using gtx magnatec, as my 16v along with others didnt like it
(it sounded like a bag of spanners from cold) renault elf stuff is good, but i think you can only get it from your renault dealer.

Vee dub

Yeah i agree with Cat171, 10w40 semi synthetic is what my valver is run on.

Cheers

Tom

Skoda Fabia vRS

as long as its not Magnatec it should be ok

im puttin some Shell 10W-40 in mine for the time being but ill probably order some Silkolene Pro S 5W-40 to try that in a few weeks

I would go for 5w-40 anytime over 10w-40, its better for cold start wear.

See my thread - Oil Recommendations, its all explained there.

Cheers

Simon

what about Duckhams semi-synthetic QXR Oil and Filter Change ~ only £20 from National Tyres?? Haynes manual recommends this apparantly.

They only let you put in 5 litres max, so im wondering where to buy some from for when it needs topping up. Anyone know anywhere to buy this stuff?

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Runs a treat on the Duckhams. Used to get mine done there as used to be 15 quid and oil alone costs 20 quid. Plus Filter plus hassle, not worth doing yourself.

They fill to the max line on your dipstick so dont worry about the 5L limit.

Since then have used Castrol RS which was great in summer. Have recently done my first oil change myself as got Castrol RS when it was half price at Halfords. Not worth doing yourself as still paid IRO 20 quid and then had hassle. Oil filter is a pig to get at.

A silver Honda

Recommnended by BRUN for Cliosport members.

email Simon Barnard <sales@opieoils.co.uk> for prices

very good brands available such as Motul, Silkolene, Fuchs etc

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Total Quartz 7000 semi or 9000 fully synthetic also worth getting from GSF with 10 per cent discount.

Quote: Originally posted by Dan_mk1 on 23 February 2005

Wasnt someone selling ELF oil for cheap on here recently??

Yeah Dan.............here are the details: -

Call 01977 603363

Aks for Debra

£64 for 24Lts of Elf Excellium LDX 5-W40

She can also supply Total Quartz 7000/9000........just ask eh :cool:

There is also a technical department which has all the details and will tell you exactly what your car should use!

Cya Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 23 February 2005 at 7:23pm]

BMW 320d Sport

Ive always used Mobil 1 Motorsport (15w50) for the last six years on my valver -when it was standard, modded with head work, on nitrous and now turbocharged. So the engines been apart a few times and it runs pretty hot at times too - Ive never had any trouble with 15w50, its always done its job perfectly, has NEVER sludged up in any way, comes out clean as a whistle, the internals of the engine are likewise, which I guess is all you can ask of an oil really.

Clio 182

Quote: Originally posted by stusV6 on 23 February 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Dan_mk1 on 23 February 2005 Wasnt someone selling ELF oil for cheap on here recently?? Yeah Dan.............here are the details: -Call 01977 603363Aks for Debra£64 for 24Lts of Elf Excellium LDX 5-W40She can also supply Total Quartz 7000/9000........just ask eh :cool:There is also a technical department which has all the details and will tell you exactly what your car should use!Cya Stu

[Edited by stusV6 on 23 February 2005 at 7:23pm]

Thanks for that fella!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 23 February 2005

Ive always used Mobil 1 Motorsport (15w50) for the last six years on my valver -when it was standard, modded with head work, on nitrous and now turbocharged. So the engines been apart a few times and it runs pretty hot at times too - Ive never had any trouble with 15w50, its always done its job perfectly, has NEVER sludged up in any way, comes out clean as a whistle, the internals of the engine are likewise, which I guess is all you can ask of an oil really.

yup, i used it on your recommendation and was impresed!

BMW 320d Sport

Well there you go then :D

I know theres always a lot of banter on here about using this and using that, but at the end of the day an oil has one job to do - keep your engine lubricated under all conditions. And if it drains out almost as clean as it goes in, doesnt sludge, and the engine works fine, then the oil has done its job.

Yes you could probably save a little money by going to something like Millers or other smaller brands of synthetic, but at the end of the day, Mobil 1 15w50 is easy enough to get hold of from Halfords, its always worked for me so theres no reason to switch brands now. Plus at the moment a 4.5l (or 4l, I cant remember) bottles only £28 at Halfords, and its more like £40 at Demon Tweeks, so I just stock up while its cheap and that lasts me a long while.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Yup 28 quid odd for 4L at the mo and if you can get the one with a seperate 1L top up pack attached thats 31 quid odd so works out even cheaper. And if you spend 50 quid by sunday you get a free 10 quid voucher so makes even cheaper.

Skoda Fabia vRS

for anyone whose interested, Duckhams will now be stocked by all Motor World stores

the bottles for the branch i work at have been ordered, they arrive on Monday

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

if anyone is intersted i bought some oil in error its labeled as 5w40 fully synthetic but it doesnt meet all the requirements of that grade. its basically a semi, but would probably do well in a valver it cost me £11.50 for 5lts, you can have it for that if you like, pm me if interested.

by the way i then got some 5w40 proper fully synthetic for my 172 for £18+vat :D