ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Sat Nav?

Audi S3 Saloon
Hi guys,

Seen a few deals around on Sat-Nav's so may get one soon.

Is this Tom Tom Start any good for £70, has IQ routes on: Linky

Or Wide Screen - £99 - Clicky

Or Tom Tom One for about £80.

Or other!?

Any advice would be great, if the Start, may get it today as get a free £5 voucher from Argos too.

BG 182 FF
garmins are good as well, I have one and its great plus where i use to work we never had much problems with garmins but tomtom's use to have a few errors on, was a few years back now though

M2 Competition
I bought a start mate (its been wrapped by my old dear to be given to me at xmas).

Found that 95% of the features on the other models i wouldnt ever use, the start did everything you'd need, is easy to use, looks nice and is at a bargain price :)

I paid 90 quid, bargain!

I would only ever have a tomtom as i like the layout..i have the tomtom one with IQ routes

The IQ routes is a waste of time really, not really of any use....would just go for a basic tomtom one/start

M2 Competition
I would only ever have a tomtom as i like the layout..i have the tomtom one with IQ routes

The IQ routes is a waste of time really, not really of any use....would just go for a basic tomtom one/start

The start has iq routes (which alters your route for time of day/ traffic). Are you thinking of advanced lane recognition thingy, where you get a picture telling you which lane to be in?

57 Clio Campus Sport
TomTom all the way I've tried quite a few different but always bought tomtom even got it on my iPhone

M2 Competition
^^ Ah my bad mate, i thought IQ was the lane guidance thing (which IS a waste of time)

No worries bud. I spent ages with the tomtom guy the other day going through them all!

I get the impression the lane guidance thingy is designed for people with no common sense who cant read road signs and work out which lane to be in (women?)

57 Clio Campus Sport
No worries bud. I spent ages with the tomtom guy the other day going through them all!

I get the impression the lane guidance thingy is designed for people with no common sense who cant read road signs and work out which lane to be in (women?)

It's sometimes useful on bigger roundabouts and bigger cities

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I've used a couple, I personally find Tom Tom to be the best for me.

That basic one looks spot on, I very rarely use any of the features on a Tom Tom 1, never mind the more complex ones.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Garmin.

/thread.

Okay more help. The 205W which I bought recently is currently at £99.99. It has UK+Ireland mapping. Widescreen too. Good little unit and much more reliable than TomTom Start (then crash)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'm a TomTom fan, Garmin i had was so crap, got signal in seconds though.

I'm a TomTom fan, Garmin i had was so crap, got signal in seconds though.
Yep me too. I hated the Garmin I used, it was also crap at getting any signal through the screen, even when put in the cut out bit & with an aeriel. Awful !

My tomtom one works anywhere on the screen.

Ford Focus ST2
thats a look at snooperuk.com

there much better then tomtom!

and then buy from snooperdirect.com or thesatnavwarehouse.com

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yep me too. I hated the Garmin I used, it was also crap at getting any signal through the screen, even when put in the cut out bit & with an aeriel. Awful !

My tomtom one works anywhere on the screen.

See mine is the other way round, the garmin would get signal in about 2 seconds anywhere.

TomTom takes a good while. But TomTom excels massively at everything else i actually use.

Audi S3 Saloon
The only thing with the Start is that you can't put any avoids on the routes, e.g avoid toll roads, big issue? (Although does have IQ routes which the Tom Tom One doesn't have.) Which do you reckon?

M2 Competition
It's sometimes useful on bigger roundabouts and bigger cities

Woman

Lane guidance is a godsend when you're battling London.

Woman

True.

That is the only time I have ever used it, when I borrowed someone's, and it was very useful.

Woman

Garmin.

/thread.

Okay more help. The 205W which I bought recently is currently at £99.99. It has UK+Ireland mapping. Widescreen too. Good little unit and much more reliable than TomTom Start (then crash)

Woman (just because)

^ lol !!
See mine is the other way round, the garmin would get signal in about 2 seconds anywhere.

TomTom takes a good while. But TomTom excels massively at everything else i actually use.
It takes the odd min or so (sometimes) to get satellites, but usually it's fine. The Garmin was dog sh*t tbh, it never got a signal, even with the other aeriel plugged in, so just directed where it fancied. Cack tbh.

I saw someone mention IQ routes, I've no idea if the Tomtom one does that, tbh it does stuff I don't need.
I have the extra aeriel for avoiding traffic jams, it looks awful when on the screen though. I'd recommend it though, i've had it a while now, it's the V4 one.