ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which single mod gives biggest improvement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
£ vs performance: Definitely stripping! Its FREE!!

But seriously, RSTuner. I borrowed a mates, so only cost me £42 for the code, bargain!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Was gonna say get a exhaust plus de cat. Alot lighter, better looking better sound and power gains and better made. Most positives ya can get from a modification.

Anyone got a link to this RS Tuner thing? Ive never heard of it before! Is it a new ecu? or a update for the standard one?
:S

320d
Presume you mean Inlet manifold/plenum ?

He means exhaust manifold mate. I remember Martin saying how impressed he was with it. Others say there isnt much difference, I can't give an opinion as i've not tried a 182 manifold.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
He means exhaust manifold mate. I remember Martin saying how impressed he was with it. Others say there isnt much difference, I can't give an opinion as i've not tried a 182 manifold.

Interesting, I honestly didnt know there was a difference with the Exhaust mani. Maybe worth looking into.

Clio 182ff
You make a back up before you re-write, so if it goes wrong, just restore (Like an iPhone)

You cant go wrong really.

No power loss no

In regards to MOT - does retuning the ECU give higher emissions? If it does, I suppose you just change it back to standard to pass?

E90 320d M Sport
So the extra 10bhp on the 182 comes from the manifold itself or manifold and exhaust system?

Its PS not bhp ;)

Cat, Manifold, 'RS' inlets, ECU software & cal, just to name a few.

In regards to MOT - does retuning the ECU give higher emissions? If it does, I suppose you just change it back to standard to pass?

Nope, totally fine for MOT.

Interesting, I honestly didnt know there was a difference with the Exhaust mani. Maybe worth looking into.

172's have 4-1 mani, 182's have 4-2-1 mani. I have a graph of how a 182 mani effects a 172 when fitted with a before and after somewhere - I'll try and dig it out.

E90 320d M Sport
So basically the best mod on a 172 is a 182 manifold and high flow cat/adapter for a 172 system?

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
172's have 4-1 mani, 182's have 4-2-1 mani. I have a graph of how a 182 mani effects a 172 when fitted with a before and after somewhere - I'll try and dig it out.

I'd be very interested to see this

As for the OP

Ive ran just a de-cat on my ph1 for quite some time, I did see improvements, Since fitting a BTB cat back exhaust with it, Ive noticed now its carbon'd up its pulling very well

For a performance comparison, with the exhaust on its as fast as it was with rear fully stripped and 1 bucket seat, no passenger seat

As for £ per smiles, get a Whiteline Rear ARB, totally transform the car and the best £150 I ever spent on it, much better than more power, more stability gives me much more confidence when steaming into a corner

E90 320d M Sport
Isn't it a bit of a sod though putting the cat back on if you have a 182 manifold and 172 system?

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Isn't it a bit of a sod though putting the cat back on if you have a 182 manifold and 172 system?
K-tec do a link-pipe so it matches up to the same length the original 172 manifold and cat would've met the centre pipe

It's interesting how all this "biggest improvement" talk is about more power

I find the 172 has ample power - but the handling is not great
Surely being able to put the standard power down is a first before trying to get more

So far for me the whiteline ARB kit on the rear has been the best mod - it has much less understeer and is much more planted on corners

172, Tiguan
I'd say a membership to this forum where you can all talk about spending £hundreds for 1bhp gains ;)

E90 320d M Sport
Getting power down can be a problem in the 172.

Best way of reducing torque steer and wheel spin off the blocks?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
It's interesting how all this "biggest improvement" talk is about more power

I find the 172 has ample power - but the handling is not great
Surely being able to put the standard power down is a first before trying to get more

So far for me the whiteline ARB kit on the rear has been the best mod - it has much less understeer and is much more planted on corners

i find the opposite, it handles fine for fast road use and the standard setup can take the extra power.

Something anyone hasnt mentioned:

Aftermarket steering wheel. Car was so much more fun when you dont have the standard ship wheel in front of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.