ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which Welder?

Black-Gold 182
Well, not sure if I've put this in the right place.

I'm thinking of getting a welder, but I'm not sure which is the best way to go. I've done some arc welding in the past, so am sort of ok welding, but I'm thinking of getting either a TIG or MIG welder. I'm hoping to weld aluminium, so i'm assuming (possibly incorrectly) that I'd probably need a TIG welder to do this. Has anyone got any experience or tips as to what I should look for? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any tips about possible places to buy from?

Cheers again.

Lionel Richie
and £2K spare for the welder, i've used cheap TIG welders before (£1K-£1.5K) and they're ok, but you need to spend the money (reliability is an issue)

i use a Lincon Electric Invertec205, awesome

W

wickedbitch

definately tig its so much prettier ive just bought one so i can learn to weld, my uncles top notch at welding has done deep sea welding and all sorts so hopefully i should be pretty good at it eventually

Lionel Richie
you can buy DC (direct current) TIG welders cheap enough

but to do Aluminium it has to be an AC/DC type

Machine mart sell one for just over £1K but its crap!

if you can find somewhere that will hire out an AC/DC TIG welder then i'll buy you a beer!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
you can weld ally with MIG. you just need the rite gas and wire

Last edited:
  C63 AMG, F430 & 172
lol.. its improving..... i got/getting a welder in to finish the cage me thinks

Lionel Richie
oh and for everytime you shock yourself when using the TIG, you have to buy me a beer

(i'll be s**t faced by the time you're done, first timers on a TIG is hillarious to watch!)

Clio 172
oh and for everytime you shock yourself when using the TIG, you have to buy me a beer
(i'll be s**t faced by the time you're done, first timers on a TIG is hillarious to watch!)

Thats cruel!!!! lol. I think they would pick it up very quickly with the electro therapy reminding them.
As said to do it properly you need an AC machine I paid 2k three years ago for my murex machine "its the dogs". You also need to use the correct filler rods. I have welded ally with a mig and its a t**t. You also do not get good penetration. You need to be sure you are going to use it a lot to warrant the investment, factor in £80 for a large bottle of argon and £15/month rental on said bottle. Will be cheaper to find a decent local welder and take your bits to him unless your after a career change.