ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whining when i turn the steering wheel ????

Monaco 172
Hi
Ive notice today that my car was whining i thought it was the gearbox but noticed it only happend when i was turning the wheel,
has anyone had this or know what this could be or if its a big problem its only started to happen today, dont know if its something to do with the power steering :S

Any help would be great

Thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Fluid low in the PS reservoir?

Has the steering got any heavier?

Monaco 172
I havnt noticed it yet mate but its only just started il av a check of the fluid, nice thanks i hope thats all it is :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Only problem is, if its low on fluid, chances are thePS pipe is split (Common problem) and they're a b**ch to do. :(

Cooksport Fleet
Expensive too, i had mine go 3 times. Get a second hand pipe, dont get a new one. They are about 200quif for the pipe alone.

Cliospares!

If thats the problem anyway :)

Monaco 172
Could you tell me where this pipe is in the engine so i could check it to see if its split

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Its a high pressure Hydraulic pipe mate so if its split, it will piss out all over the floor as soon as you start the car and turn the wheel side to side.

Monaco 172
Dont think its a split pipe as the fluids levels still good and theres no leakage,
ive noticed that the more i rev the engine as im turning the steering wheel the high pitched the whining noise gets :S

Monaco 172
Not good:mad:, just popd out in the car and when i stopd at a junction there was alot of smoke was coming out of the engine lol, so i decided just to drive home, when i got bk i looked under the bonnet to see the damage and all of the ps fluid had gone and it looks like oil has sprayed out from the front drivers side corner near the aux belt cos theres oil all over the belt and surrounding areas lol. dont think a pipe has split there seems to be some kind thing in that area that the oil has come out of.
Any ideas would be great

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You need a new Aux belt now then! If they get contaminated they can deteriorate. If an aux belt goes it can wrap itself round the cambelt and pop goes your engine!

Got any pics of where the leak seems to be coming from?

ITB'd MK1
i've seen the PAS pump seal fail pretty spectacularly on a couple of pumps in the last few months. throws all the oil out and then whines like hell. New pump needed is the most likely scenario

Monaco 172
il put some pics up now, the bad thing is ive only had the belts changed about 4 months ago lol not nice

Monaco 172
DSC00276.jpg

Monaco 172
its just under that silver thing it has some metal pipe goin in to it, thats where i think the leak has come from not sure wat it is tho ??