ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whiring noise on over-run

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Folks,

I have noticed over the past few days that when I am rolling along in gear but off the accelerator there is a whirring noise. If I press the clutch then this noise disappears.

I would expect there to be a slight noise in this scenario but there is definitely something wrong.

Any ideas ?

Edited to add that the clutch kit was replaced approx. 6 months ago with new box oil too.

Cheers

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
not easily, unfortunately input shaft rattle/whirr is hard to differentiate with release bearing issues.

but tbh, the input shaft is usually a rattle not a whir, gearbox whine or whir is normally diff and that doesn't do when you depress the clutch so my moneys on cheap or faulty release bearing. what clutch kit did you use?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Not particuarly unless taking it to someone to have a look over. Does it whir on acceleration?

not easily, unfortunately input shaft rattle/whirr is hard to differentiate with release bearing issues.

but tbh, the input shaft is usually a rattle not a whir, gearbox whine or whir is normally diff and that doesn't do when you depress the clutch so my moneys on cheap or faulty release bearing. what clutch kit did you use?
There is certainly no obvious noise when accelerating. Its also only been the last couple of days as I would have noticed this before.

I used a full Valeo kit, new oil too.

What would happen if I just let it get worse, new box?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Morning folks,

This noise is definitely getting worse. It now appears when rolling along in neutral, with or without the clutch and in gear.

No noises or crunches when changing gear , still feels tight.

Is this looking like it's definitely the gear box?

Cheers again folks.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Morning again!

I hope someone can help me out with this!

Is it possible that it could be the drivers side shaft? The bearing that's bolted to the back of the block???

Clutching at straws here as the box feels fine!

Cheers

Dave

Yes could well be. Could be either cv joints too.

Get the front jacked up and start rotating the wheels and have a good mooch.

I wouldn't advise throwing parts at it because it could be this or that.

Otherwise you end up replacing everything like i tend to do lol;)

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Yes could well be. Could be either cv joints too.

Get the front jacked up and start rotating the wheels and have a good mooch.

I wouldn't advise throwing parts at it because it could be this or that.

Otherwise you end up replacing everything like i tend to do lol;)

Oh I have no intention of throwing parts/money at it.

So dry side drive shaft, When removing/replacing should it be at all difficult separating from the splines on the box? I remember when I done the clutch change that it was an absolute pig to get it back together. Any tips for that?

Is it possible to fit a cup shaft? Will there be any negative effects?

Thanks again.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
It could be the drive shaft centre bearing or the wheel bearings.

If you could get it to a garage up on ramps and see if you can diagnose it spinning the wheels

The cv joints tend to clunk rather than whine.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Just fit a normal 172 driveshaft, they aren't hard to come by.

this sounds like a gearbox all over though. Everything you've said sounds like what happened to my lupo. One day I put it in reverse and it made the most horrible noises, suddenly was 20 times louder than it had been. Rebuild sorted.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
It could be the drive shaft centre bearing or the wheel bearings.

If you could get it to a garage up on ramps and see if you can diagnose it spinning the wheels

The cv joints tend to clunk rather than whine.

Just fit a normal 172 driveshaft, they aren't hard to come by.

this sounds like a gearbox all over though. Everything you've said sounds like what happened to my lupo. One day I put it in reverse and it made the most horrible noises, suddenly was 20 times louder than it had been. Rebuild sorted.

I have axel stands so will get the front up with it running in gear. Its just very strange that its appeared over the past week and is very loud now but the box feels fine.
In neutral and rolling the noise is most definitely there and must be related to wheel speed as it slows gently as I halt.

It doesn't seem to change when cornering so I don't think it will be wheel bearing.

When putting the drivers shaft back on I had great difficulty and had to hammer it on, should the splined joint be greased?

Release bearing is always the culprit. Go to a mechanic and let him check under the hood on the clutch section, let him hear the whirring noise that you've been hearing. The repair is not cheap and also the parts.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Release bearing is always the culprit. Go to a mechanic and let him check under the hood on the clutch section, let him hear the whirring noise that you've been hearing. The repair is not cheap and also the parts.
I don't think it is to be honest mate, New OEM clutch kit fitted 1000 miles ago.

Forgot to add that it also makes this noise in neutral with the engine off and rolling.

Clio 3 extreme
Sounds like a release bearing imo, normally if it's a cv joint or wheel bearing you can hear it under acceleration. Or possibly a faulty bearing inside the box itself? Like a synchromesh bearing? Just a possibility, but as Richard said above id get it checked before damage is done

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Release bearing makes an entirely different noise to the one described. You wouldn't be able to hear one when driving as there isn't load on it apart from gear changes.

If you jack the front up you'll probably hear all sorts of noises like the diff. Clio boxes do make a slight whuring; even after refurb mine did. Have you got a video? That would help lots.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
I have had it up on axel stands and running in 2nd gear. The noise is to me very clearly coming from the box, I believe from directly above the selector.

I also dropped the box oil, it was golden and no shards on the plug.
I do have a video but do not know how to upload from and iPhone.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Diffs do make a noise when it's running on stands. You just can't normally hear it above anything else.

in car video will be best :)

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Diffs do make a noise when it's running on stands. You just can't normally hear it above anything else.

in car video will be best :)

I did expect a little noise but trust me, its rattling its tits off!

Took a video underneath but don't know how to upload it. I have a friendly garage where im going to get a second opinion before I go spending.

Cheers

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
As my car is still running I am thinking about buying a second box and sending it off for a refurb. Is this sensible or should I gamble on the replacement working fine?

Can anyone give me info on the refurb process with Agency Transmissions? I hear these are the go to guys.

What sort of things can go wrong in our box's? I have seen figures of approx. £300 for a full refurb, is this the max or can anything else need replaced?

Thanks again for everybody's help.

Dave

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Yeah you could do that, just need to make sure you get the right suffix JC5 129/130 etc. Mine was done by agency and the turn around was less than a week.

If you can find one at a decent price then I'd send it off. Couple of years back now but the receipt was for £285 with bearings syncros and a couple of other bits. Add on courier and it's obviously a little more. Budget £30 for decent box oil.

If you can upload it on to youtube using their "capture" app and then just put the link here.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Yeah you could do that, just need to make sure you get the right suffix JC5 129/130 etc. Mine was done by agency and the turn around was less than a week.

If you can find one at a decent price then I'd send it off. Couple of years back now but the receipt was for £285 with bearings syncros and a couple of other bits. Add on courier and it's obviously a little more. Budget £30 for decent box oil.

If you can upload it on to youtube using their "capture" app and then just put the link here.

Cheers mate, never knew about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JQ_k-aOwX0

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
As my car is still running I am thinking about buying a second box and sending it off for a refurb. Is this sensible or should I gamble on the replacement working fine?

Can anyone give me info on the refurb process with Agency Transmissions? I hear these are the go to guys.

What sort of things can go wrong in our box's? I have seen figures of approx. £300 for a full refurb, is this the max or can anything else need replaced?

Thanks again for everybody's help.

Dave

Confirmed, the box for definite. Took it to a garage my mate works at, up on the ramp and they've said there's no doubt.

Can anyone provide info on the points raised above?

Cheers guys.

Graham has covered most points above.

If you go down the second box route. If your clio is not a cup and has abs i would source a jc5 130 with bolted diff. This removes the problem of circlip popping out.

As for what goes in them it can be an array of things hubs ,syncros, selectors , gears themselves and so on.

I had mine done in May by Martin at agency transmissions. Dropped it in at 6am and it was done for 9:30am same day. Very quick turnaround and the box has never felt so good.

I had pinion gears , bearings ,hub and some other bits. He replaced all bearings the other failed bits , new seals and top hat (leaky selector seal) make a point of asking for it to be done.

Cost £285 all in

as above allow extra money for other parts.

Elf nfj 75w -80 gear oil. 4 litres

Type d coolant

Clutch kit ( valeo)

Nearly another £200 in parts on top.. Then you have labour charges for removal and refitting box

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Forgot to mention. Depending on how you get the box out. If you're dropping the subframe get atleast the 2 front captive nuts replace, £7 or so. The cages will be ruined.

That way you should just need the box oil.

You really couldn't be much further away from me, otherwise I'd offer to help.

Think Dave has had a new clutch very recently Martin so that should be okay. Is the coolant if you take the box out the top?

Yep im going out the top lol. Never gone out the bottom personally so don't know if the coolant needs to be dropped doing it that way.

My read fail yes recently had clutch changed. I would at least stick a new release bearing in though;)

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Thanks for all the info folks.

I have done done the box out the bottom around 6 months ago, no issues with seized bolts etc..

Full Valeo clutch kit was fitted inc release bearing so I think I'll just take a small gamble on those.

I am probably just going to take the car off the road and get my box refurbed instead of taking the chance with a second hand one.

Fingers crossed that it's not needing a hell of a lot done then. As I said though no knocks or crunches yet!

Cheers again guys, this be a wonderful place.

Dave

Top whack price will be £285ish from what ive seen on here and had myself.

Apparently it costs aload more if either the crown wheel or main shafts have had it. Which is highley unlikely on yours.

Good luck.