ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whirring annoying noise

Clio 182
When driving up above say 45mph i get a whirring noise coming around the n/s rear wheel, just had by rear disks and bearings replaced about a month ago so surely it can't be a bearing, my other thought was that there was a hole in the exhaust box somewhere and the noise was the wind blowing thru it, cars done 38k

any thoughts lads?

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
deffo sounds like a bearing. i have the same at the moment, even though i had new ones less than 2 years (10k miles) ago.

ValverInBits
The important thing with a whirring is does the pitch change with car speed or engine speed.

If it's engine speed it's a pulley/pump bearing/ altinator bearing
If it's car speed it's gonna be a wheel bearing.
The only way to find out which bearing is corner it fairly hard and see if the noise stops. The wheel that has had the weight removed is the dodgy one.

how much do these cost to replace? the wheel bearing that is? i think having the 20mm spacers on mine for over a year has worn them out.

I had a whiring noise from one of the rear tyres after a sock absorber went and caused the tyre to wear lots of flat spots. You could feel them when you ran you hand over the tyre surface.

Binding brakes is another possibility. Does the disk have a blue look to it - probably not yet if the disk is new...

It cost me about £100 to have the ns front bearing done.

The kit only costs about £30 if you want to do it yourself. Just make sure you take it to a cecent garage to get it pressed in because the 1st attempt on mine they didnt push it in far enough. When the other side needed doing I couldnt be arsed with the ballache of doing it with limited tools etc so paid them to do it.

ValverInBits
It cost me about £100 to have the ns front bearing done.

The kit only costs about £30 if you want to do it yourself. Just make sure you take it to a cecent garage to get it pressed in because the 1st attempt on mine they didnt push it in far enough. When the other side needed doing I couldnt be arsed with the ballache of doing it with limited tools etc so paid them to do it.

£100 is dirt cheap tbh. They are not charging much on labour