ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who changes their car frequently?

Megane 225
It's a somewhat modern phenomenon, but it's been going on longer than I thought, especially reading on here how often some people change! Ah, the power of loans, HP and PCPs! I'll doubt I'll never not be paying a monthly amount towards a car, at this rate anyway.

Now I think I'm quite bad, but I know there are worse culprits. I've had 3 new cars in about 4 years. I barely managed to wait out the 2yr PCP for my last Clio (1.6!), in fact I ended it a month early. It makes it almost too easy to change (despite the money going down the proverbial drain - but no car's an investment!).

TBH the staggering deals on the 225 at the moment are getting the juices flowing again and it's only just been a year since I got the Trophy. Realistically, it won't happen (other financial commitments!), but it so easily could - right now!So unnecessary, but so great!

Who changes their car the most then?

BMW M3
I had my 172 for 3 yrs anf the 182 so far for 16months. getting bored now and am tempted by the 225 but its ust not as hot as the 182 imo. Do really fancy a change though.

Titanium Clio 182
I have had 2 new cars in 5 years, my current one is a clio 182 and i'm keeping that for about 3-6 years at the moment as i love it!! But my brothers 225 is amazing!!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
3 cars in 18 months.. and this one is up for sale to make way for the 4th , i just get bored

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I get bored too.Bought a 1 year old 172mk2,then a 182 ff then a mk5 golf tdi and i now have sold the lot and i own 2 golf vr6 highlines.1 n reg and 1 p reg to make a mint car.the 1 highline i have every reciept from new even the original bill of sale.I plan to make 1 mint highline and then the mrs wants a new polo gti in 2 months time.
By the way im not loaded by any means,i just have a keen eye for a bargain and a lot of friends in the car business.
To date i dont have any finance or outstanding loans on my cars for and have'nt for the last 3 years

ian

CTR--VX220D
In the last 2 years:-

Pug 106 GTI
Golf GT TDI
Golf GTI Turbo
Honda Civic Type R [still got]
MGF Trophy 160
Lotus Elise
VX220 [still]
Clio 172 Sport [for the track - when I buy one!]

1998 BMW e46 323i
I usually change my car every year. No plans to replace the 172, the speed, reasonable running costs, handling (in the twisties) and gadgets have me spoilt. Could only replace it with a bread van really. I am concerned at how reliable the car will be long-term though,.. Niggles away at me.

Nicksie

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 CUP
one of my mates had two cars before she had even past her test, and another had 3, between them they've had 10 cars in 3-4 years! all piles of crap! I'm on my 2nd in 9 years!

K

kevr182

ive bin driving for three years now and i have had ready for it.....
pug 106
corsa sxi
corsa sxi cdti
corsa sri 1.7 cdti
vectra sri 1.9 cdti
and my current baby ff black 182 love it had it for nearly a year now best car i have owned so far,but think i will go back to a diesel after this no comments pls:eek:

I always thought it'd be bad to keep buying newish cars as you'd lose loads through depreciation everytime you came to sell it. For example if you kept buying 10k cars every 6 months and selling them for 8-9k within three years you could've lost 12k through depreciation. Or is that not the case at all and I'm being a r****d?

If I'm kinda right, I'd rather save that 12k, put it in ISAs and buy a blinding car at the end of end of 3 years rather than keep having 10k cars all the time.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
your quite right mate but then you'd be starting the game again with a blinding car.
Seen the price of 2 year old bmw's,evo's mercs and audi's.Cars are toys and should never be seen as an investment

ian

But you could afford better toys if you were sensible...

Hell you might even be able to stretch to a rampant rabbit.

Citroen DS3 DSport
During the 12 months from Feb 05 to Feb 06 I owned 4 different cars :D

I've calmed down now although I was considering selling the 172 but I changed my mind.

Did own 172 Cup + 182FF
Well - I run 2 cars and generally change them frequently. None new though and none of finance - if I can't afford it, I won't buy it! Last 5 years.
Vauxhall Astra 2.0DI estate
Renault Scenic 1.6 16V
Fiat Punto 1.1
Citroen Saxo VTR
Ford Sierra RS Cosworth (3 door)
Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 Cosworth
Lotus Elise
Renault Clio 172 Cup
7 Cars LOL!!!
Keep each 1 an average of a year. Cup I will probably keep a good while now, but then I said that about both Cosworths and the Elise :)

182BG
im on my 7th car, over the last 3years.
shortest time i owned a car was 4 weeks, think that was my 2nd fiesta, or might of been my GTI-6, can't really remember

I'm incurable at the moment and the 172 is my 54th car and my fifth this year, sometimes I only keep a car for a week and if I manage six months then I'm doing very well.

I read a statistic that said 85% of people change their car through boredom and no other reason.

Renault 5 GT Turbo - F7R
Yep I'm the same.

Just get bored !!! You cant beat the thrill of a new car - only cars I had a while have been ones I've modified quite a lot. Each mod gets you a bit excited like that new feeling again :D

Me and the Mrs have just gone halfs on a 320ci BMW - we've had it 4 months and were both bored allready :eek:

If the insurance would cover us we'd change it for a Honda S2000 straight away !!! :evil:

Mustang, S13, AX GT
3rd car in the last 12 months, I've had my clio for about 5months now and im getting bored. I want my subaru!!! damn insurance

Beetle
I've had 5 cars in 2 years of passing my test, usually change them every 6 months, theres just too many cars in the world and not enough time to own them all ;)

Megane 225
Boredom seems the most prominent reason then. Or is boredom a harsh word? I'd just put it down to pure enthusiasm. Toys are toys - don't matter how big or expensive. New stuff is awesome. As mentioned, the worst thing to do is think about what you COULD have done with the money! It's not like renting a house.

I suppose there are a lot of different people here with different financial situations, but for most, finance is the only way we can own a new car. Personally, I'll never pay cash (my own) for a new car. Always a loan of some description. I will happily pay a monthy sum for the rest of my life if it means I can have a new car pretty much when I like.

TBH I'm relatively inexperienced in car buying and I'll usually give in as long as I get some kind of discount. For the sake of 500 quid, 1k or whatever I could have saved though, I won't preoccupy myself with feelings of muggery :)

Absolutely have I wasted money a few times *cough*total loss cover...supergard*cough* but hey that's learning!

At this stage in my driving career, it has to be brand new - have to be the first to fart in my nice new seats :D

used to change my car roughly every yr and a half , but still having smiles from my cup , been over 2and half yrs now , still going strong

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
the clio is the longest i've owned a car, i've had it about 15 months, before that i probably changed every three months, get bored so quickly.
But now i've got a company car, so i only use the cllio once a week, and it takes longer to get bored!

tiTTy & SV650
you can buy older cars and not lose out at all, sometimes even making money. I've lost a lot on my clio and dont care too much, I enjoy it and will keep it for a while yet.

Mint Clio Valver!
driving 3 years. keep a car a year usually. had valver the longest.
e-reg 1.0 nissan micra
n-reg 1.4 RT Clio
m-reg Valver
am looking at either: Bora V5, Mk2 MR2 or Williams.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If I could I would have a Lamborghini Murcielago... But obviously I would struggle to keep up the £1000 a month finance.

So I buy what I can afford... And at the moment I can afford to keep a Clio:quiet:, I'm sure it's the situation for others.

tiTTy & SV650
cliokhunt said:
If I could I would have a Lamborghini Murcielago... But obviously I would struggle to keep up the £1000 a month finance.

So I buy what I can afford... And at the moment I can afford to keep a Clio:quiet:, I'm sure it's the situation for others.

indeed but we aint all khunts

BMW M4; S1000 RR
rory182 said:
indeed but we aint all khunts

:rasp:

In all fairness I am suprised how zippy the car is to drive. Pleased with my purchase, but am still counting the days down to when I can move onto a car that can actually accelerate above 100mph..

182 FF Cup options
I am 21 and have owned the following cars:

Mini chequmate 1.0 (H reg)
MG ZR 104 1.4 16v (02 reg)
BMW 316i 1.8 16v (03 reg)
Subaru impreza 2.0 sport special 16v (51 reg)
VW Golf GTI 1.8 20v turbo (x reg)
Renault Clio 182 FF with cup options (04 reg)

Did it all by one loan which i pay monthly through nationwide, and the load has never been ober £7500. I just love cars and get board quick. The 182 is the best car so far.

Dan