ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

who uses a battery impact gun ?

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
Getting a bit peaved with my dad fussing about using the compressor and stuff and would love to PI55 him off even more lol, i've been looking on ebay at battery impact wrenches and i just wanted some feedback off people that use them, pros/cons and weather there generally a waste of time:rasp:
This is the one i have been looking at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEWALT-DC820-...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item41564082c5

Any feedback appreciated
Thanks jamie

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I have the older one to that, it has more torque iirc. They are handy but air is better, I use it mainly for wheels, wheel hub bolts and engine mounts. I've had it 2 yrs now and it does get abused and still works fine.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
Tbh it wont get used often so im concerned about how long batterys last when not used frequently, and when i do use it, it will be mostly for loosening bolts on the back of brake calipers, there a pain by hand :(

thanks jamie

LY R26 #288
I've got the 24v sealey impact wrench. Their about 120 new on ebay. Really impressed with it, its so handy. Took the crank pulley bolt of my old punto like a knife through butter and the beauty is you don't have to hold or lock anythin that turns freely because it doesn't spin it, it just cracks the nut off

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I got the one from machine mart, the more expensive clarke one. It was crap so took it back. Put me right off battery one's tbh.

i use 24v makita ones at work but i dont rate them much you still have to round with a spanner after to check there all tight. There good for wizzing nuts off but when tightening i would always check after with a spanner or socket.

Polo + Micra
ive got an 18v makita BTW450

bought it for when i'm working on the car but not really had much chance to use it but seems to have the power if it is a little heavy

E46 M3
Ive got a 24v Clarke one, was about £95 from machine mart. I only use it for wheels so didnt need a mega torque expensive one, as long as it undoes wheel nuts and doesnt fall apart im happy.

DCi 100
Couldn't say I could justify the best part of £500 for a snap on one unless it was being used professionally myself!

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I'm not going to buy a gash one but I'm not paying much more than 100quid if I can help it, 150 ish max maybe what's my options and what do you recommend ?

Thanks Jamie

Polo + Micra
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I'm not going to buy a gash one but I'm not paying much more than 100quid if I can help it, 150 ish max maybe what's my options and what do you recommend ?

Thanks Jamie

i think its a tool that you'd need to spend money on for it to be useful imho

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
i think its a tool that you'd need to spend money on for it to be useful imho

This.

Your budget is the same as mine was, and unfortunately for that much its all s**t.

I've gone back to the brace, bar and torque wrench.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
Thanks Fred are sealey ones in general good or a specific model?
And I always use a bar for wheel nuts, it's for brake caliper bolts as I hate them with a passion lol

Thanks Jamie

Lionel Richie
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Sealey-CP...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item20b1c401b6
This is the one I have, I cant fault it. I dont use it to do nuts or bolts up because you dont know how tight its doing them. Everyone thats borrowed it has been surprised how good it is. I havent come across anything that it cant undo yet. For that money its well worth it.

well you never use any tool be it air or elec. with "balls" for doing anything back up!!!

that's the Sealey ones we used at DDD, worked fine on all the 4x4 stuff

182cup & 172 racecar
We use a KOBE 14.4v.even though it looks small,it does a good job.One battery will last all day at a meeting.Comes with two batts and a quick charger £125.From Cromwell.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
Do you have a link ? And how long do the batterys last before they stop charging properly ?

Ta Jamie

182cup & 172 racecar
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/KBE2790600K

kbe2790600k.eps_large.jpg

Don't know mate,used it all year and no problems yet.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
That link is a for a screwdriver bit impact gun, our joiners at work use them, I wanted one with a 1/2 inch square socket end

Ta Jamie

white 172
trust me anything pattery powered get makita

get the 18v impact gun with lithium ion battery lasts for ages on a charge and the battery gets no charge memory so will you can charge it back up full even when its half dead plus the battery slides into makita torchs and drills

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
These are a well handy bit of kit. Used one the other day and was surprised how well it worked.