ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why are Mazda RX8's so cheap??

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  E55 AMG
Re: Why are Mazda RX8 so cheap??

Because they're a pain in the ass. You have to put a litre of mineral oil in a month, you'll struggle to get above 20mpg.
most people don't know how to drive them and look after them so they end up needing an engine rebuild. They're quite expensive to insure. It's a Mazda.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Clio RS200

Don't they need an engine rebuild at 70k or is that an urban fairy story?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Golf R

As above.

You can't do short journeys in them either, they do M3 mpg for less than 1*2 performance.

List of cons is pretty long! Supposedly a great chassis, why anyone would buy one over an s2000 escapes me. They're also mostly driven by complete cvnt artists aswell.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Epic car, engine which gives good performance but wears out and is terrible on fuel though.

Buy one and put a decent engine in it = winning.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4

Epic car, engine which gives good performance but wears out and is terrible on fuel though.

Buy one and put a decent engine in it = winning.

Is there an easy swap for them?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  Clio 220 Trophy

Shame the 2.3 turbo from the 3&6 MPS doesn't go straight in

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Shame the 2.3 turbo from the 3&6 MPS doesn't go straight in

Well its a shame that no decent 4 stroke goes straight in, why that one specifically though, its not anything particular special after all?

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Reyland are putting VAG 1.8t engines into these.

Not sure how Martin got on with that, last time I spoke to him about it he was halfway through doing so, would make for a nice conversion if he did an off the shelf kit.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E36 328i

I owned one before the Clio. It was a f**king nightmare. As said, very thirsty on both oil and fuel. But when you were hooning it, it was great fun, especially with the LSD and traction off!

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Merc

There are some guys in Ireland fitting 2.0 turbo Nissan engines to them and selling at 5 to 6k.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Seriously guys most of you know it's designed to use oil so hardly a downside..

I would buy one and let the missus use it if she didn't only do 2miles to work a day :(

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Seriously guys most of you know it's designed to use oil so hardly a downside..

I would buy one and let the missus use it if she didn't only do 2miles to work a day :(

The oil consumption isnt the end of the world but the fuel consumption is.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  335d

two words

Rotor tips

Fuel Consumption

​Oil consumption

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
Trader Rating - 100%
14   0   0
  Whichever has fuel

People moaning about oil consumption are either poor or are reciting what they've read on the internet.

They use no more than a litre of mineral oil a month. Which can cost under £5.

​It's hardly worth worrying about.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  335d

It is a PITA though, our cooper s uses oil as well, one of the most annoying things when you just want to get in and out of a car most days with nothing to do.

Most people who own rx-8's aren't people who love cars and tinker all the time so they don't get the maintenance they need.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Merc Dueliner sport

Brother had one for a few years but the compression started to drop off so he thought it was time to move it on but he did really like it.

Hes since got himself an Evo 7 and that does more MPG

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the states there are conversion kits available to fit 2JZ supra TT lumps into these, that would be a nice car!

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

People moaning about oil consumption are either poor or are reciting what they've read on the internet.

They use no more than a litre of mineral oil a month. Which can cost under £5.

​It's hardly worth worrying about.

Anyone who owns an rx8 will be poor by definition, because of the fuel economy. Lol

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
  RS175,595,205gti,172
There is a well put together (well looks it) one on DW's with an SR20DET that makes sense...

Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
  Clio 172
The fact 90% of them haven't been looked after and need an engine rebuild is a big factor. We started doing rebuilds at MAzda for about 5k and had over ten done when I was there in about three months. People that do like RX8's are very loyal to them.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Golf R
It could have been such a more successful venture for Mazda had they opted for a I4 engine with a turbo/supercharger or even highly strung NA unit of some description.

I love the shape!

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have driven the ex formula woman race cars .... lauren on here who now has the gt86 raced them in it they are epic to drive very hard if you dont own it .....

One with an ls7 sounds interesting ... hummm

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a friend who sold his purely due to the petrol usage, he said it was amazingly fun, would slide out easy, he had a few flooding issues too, hes got an TD Audi A4 now :/

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Peddled device

Don't they need an engine rebuild at 70k or is that an urban fairy story?

They do ! A guy at work has one, and he treats it better than his gf. He has spent about £5k on it in the last 2 years on an engine rebuild,coil packs, leads, brakes....lots of things. Its mint, but it drinks fuel and oil.