ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why cant i get camber??

clio 182
Hi folks,

the issue is basically i cant get camber, well enough anyway!

My current spec is - clio 182 (cup pack)

Raceland coilovers ( :eek: i know, i know, but they do me fine on track just now)
Eibach camber bolts (set at full negative camber)
Eibach 25mm hubcentric spacers
ET37 15inch OZ superleggera's

Now when i had my aligment done last time, it was running standard toe, camber etc with a bit more castor. Since adding the camber bolts and spacers we set the bolts to 'full' negative camber and it is still at the standard set up?!?

Looking at Chrispy's project thread he has serious camber with the spacers and bolts but my tires are out past the arches now! It doing my head in!

Anyone have any ideas?

clio 182
Top, the thing that baffles me is it seems I have the exact same set up as chrispy yet the results are totally different?

clio 182
Oh yea sorry, ast top mounts as well.

The camber bolts don't do too much, but it still should be over standard which it isn't. It's totally baffled me!

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
On my 1.2 I had to bend the abs clips so the hub can go back further. Try it if you haven't already!

clio 182
If that's the case fred there is something far wrong fred, is there anything that, if fitted wrong, would cause this?

Lionel Richie
are you pushing on the hub (with the wheel off) when rotating the camber bolt? lower strut bolt has to be loose too

clio 182
Yea, I fitted them at my place but had them checked by clark motorsport whrn the geo was done and they are correct. It seems like I needed all the camber just to get to standard levels?

clio 182
Yup, both exactly the same.

Will take it all apart tonight with pics.....see wat I have done wrong!

clio 182
Right, here we go....

so, with all the above fitted it sits like this...

005-4.jpg

006-4.jpg

The top mounts are currently set like this (excuse the dirt/mess)...

007-4.jpg

So wheel off, you can see the spacer here...

008-4.jpg

009-3.jpg

How the camber bolt is fitted, max camber, i had to grind off the standard camber bits, i changed them as they are shocking, the washer just bends when you try adjust it!...

010-2.jpg

011-3.jpg

013-3.jpg

Looking up into the strut....

014-4.jpg

Camber bolt, looks like the correct one and fits perfectly...

015-4.jpg

016-3.jpg

i then too the Bottom bolt of and then on to the AST top mounts....

018-3.jpg

019-3.jpg

coilover out....

023-4.jpg

How the top mount sits on the coilover....

022-4.jpg

021-4.jpg

Lower arms....(poly bushed:cool:)

026-4.jpg

where the coilover attaches to the hub....

027-4.jpg

and all the parts together!

028-4.jpg

So....What have i done wrong?

I appreciate all the help :approve:

P.S all those pics make my car look rusty :dapprove: need to get the paint out!

Clio 182 Trophy
My guess is that the bolt in the bottom hole of the damper is not sitting properly as you can see it has been filed out for some reason.

The bolt needs to sit here...

028-4.jpg

Yeah that bottom hole is knackered - it looks like someones bought the wrong coilovers (cup or non cup packed) and tried to fit them to one with different bolt spacing

It's not even in line with the old hole!

I'd bin the coilovers and get some new ones

clio 182
They were bought brand new for the cup spacing, came like that? If thats the case then they are going back to K tec!

Not a 320d
When you have it jacked up, lossen both bolts on the strut, youll need a mate, grab the disc and force it with your hands to its got negative camber. then get ur mate to tighten the bolts back up while its being held in palce.

I only managed to get -1.15 on my H&R's. Thats after multiple attempts and £100's spent on allignments.

clio 182
Ha ha, yea they are bad, its been sitting since its last outing at knockhill though!

So....any other opinions?

Would you need to slacken the track rod ends when adjusting camber as well? I don't think you do?

Clio 182 Trophy
No, but the tracking will probably need adjusting afterwards. Can the bottom bolt be fix in the position I said above because if it can't then it's unlikely you will be able to get any additional negative camber, if it does you need to get it to sit in that position whilst you adjust the camber bolt.

182cup & 172 racecar
No,and those holes are fubard,whats happened around the top hole?

Tracking will need to done every time you move anything.

clio 182
The top hole is elongated as standard and the 2 bottom holes comes like that as standard as well, i have not drilled or cut any extra holes. The marks around the top holes are just where i buffed off the original 'camber washer' holders, so its just a bit shiny. The original camber washer/bolts that came with the coilovers are like putty, they just bend, hence why i have fitted the eibach ones.

clio 182
i think it is Raceland's cheap way of supplying cup and none cup spacing? thats what i always presumed?

clio 182
'Raceland things' pmsl! i know, and they will get changed but between the dephaser needing done and the gearbox being ill its gone down the list of things to do.....

clio 182
Hankook RS2's and ET37 wheels mate.

Every picture i can find of Raceland coilovers only have one bolt hole! :S

clio 182
It came out wrong,but you know what I mean.

I do indded, and i would say the same! i only bought them as the suspension on the car was buggered when i bought it and i was skint!

They are pretty good though for the money, held up well on 5 trackdays now!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Ktec do the same with making their non cup coilovers fit cups. They just cut away another hole.

I'm interested in knowing if this is an ok thing to do as I'm thinking of buying some bilsteins and either getting them machined by the suppliers or myself.