ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why didnt the trophy come with xenons?

I'd agree with Liam, wider and longer beam cast and better vision due to the whiter more similar to daylight type of light emitted. id never go back to halogen units by choice and am always pissed off driving a car with "conventional" headlamps in the dark.

106 GTi
Liam182 said:
xenons are much better than standard bulbs. They last years and years. (life of car I heard usually)

My friend has already had 2 replacement ones in his R32 ( 03 plate)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
its not a big job to change to xenon units on a clio is it?

Ford Fiesta
gt_gaz said:
its not a big job to change to xenon units on a clio is it?

bumper off job, how much do renault charge £180 for bulb and fitting or somerhitng daft?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
All i know is i drove my dads c-max the other week and after my xenon 182 it felt like i was using candles compaired to the 182 on un lit country roads ...

ian

Ford Fiesta
ian 182 said:
All i know is i drove my dads c-max the other week and after my xenon 182 it felt like i was using candles compaired to the 182 on un lit country roads ...

ian
agree, feel the same with cars at work..

172 cup TT
Guilbert said:
i just use a 5million candlewatt power fllodlight/torch. It lights the road up a treat, lol

Naa crap :), just dig up your local lighthouse and plop that on your roof

Black Clio 182
Floodie said:

now thats just being silly :p

you just need to eat alot of carrots and then you wont need lights at all

Floodie said:

think of the weight that would add! it would be slower round a track than a full fat 182! ;)

BMW 120i Sport
Whoever said that Xenons weren't any better than standard deffo have Xenon envy. :rasp:

I went from a non-Xenon car to the 182, what a difference. Then I went back to a car without them and missed them like hell, the road was so dim and yellow; not to mention it didn't light up the side of the road anywhere near as good as the Xenons.

I've just changed back to a car with Xenons and I dunno how I managed without them; a huge difference in colour of light, a bit brighter but a light up a much larger area of road, particularly to the sides of the car.

Megane Mk4
I had a mk1 172, even though I miss the car, I dont miss the standard bulb system in it, the xenon in the 182 is far better, clearer crisper and gives the 182 a more "expensive" look even though it isnt any more to buy when the mk1 was being sold new. Its fun to drive on the motorway with them on at night because other people in front think its a big posh car behind them.. I've had some people give me dirty looks because they've been followed by a clio with xenons! .. bunch of jealous sods, thats all I can say :rasp:

182 Full Fat
I sometimes get flashed at because people think my lights are up, but its just the occasional flicker caused by a bump in the road that makes the headlights rise.
I actually reckon its people flashing me with envy that i have xenons!!!
Haha!

Da

Less
also...one more 'technical' point, the UCH on the 172/182's controls the headlight washers for the xenons, giving a 5 second timeout when you wash your screen. If the Trophy had xenons this would need to be altered to suit also. ;)

Ad

MK2 FRS
Bloody hell Daz you dragged this one back up. hehe.

I would always choose to have Xenons over conventional.

purely cost cutting on reno's part.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Notice only people who don't have HID say halogen are better, the HID are fantastic and id hate to go back to normal bulbs.

Must be the weight of the HIDs that make MarkCup faster than me on the airfield days tho, otherwise id have him LMFAO. WILL MAKE F_ALL DIFFERENCE!

You can't beat standard headlights with some Osram Silverstar's installed imo, light up the road brilliantly without dazzling other drivers. So everyone is happy. They even look quite nice.

insignia
Xenon lights look the beez knees and light up the road alot better than coventional lights. That is something that I would never go back too.Xenon rule and look expensive...

BMW 320d SE
I love the way my Xenons illuminate the white road markings and make them sparkle. You never get that with Halogens.
Like someone said earlier - loving the way they "ping" on with that little flicker!

HID's are not Xenons....

There is a reason called cost, some RS's cost less. The Trophy's dampers cost would outweigh the slight increase in cost over a FF 182 with cup options. So what do they do? They cut down on other costs, eg Xenons, interior.

Renault placed it so well with the 172 cup (not 182 cup, as weight saving was pathetic) again it was and is a simple way to save money and sell more, as it costs less. There are not many people willing to pay what would be about £16,300+ for a trophy having xenons????.

PS people need to know the difference between HID's and Xenons against normal Hologen. The reason Xenon costs is it is better and lights the road better. Clios do not have bixenon so only works on the dipped beam. Yet again on full beam you stil have the huge behefits of xenon plus the normal illumination.

So so much xenon envy it's unreal. Anyone who says else should read all the reports, and not be such a childish and jealeous unknowing person.

Get a grip the xenons are by far the better arrangement. Live with it.

Costs are costs to a manufactorer nothing else.

Blaze

ph1 172...a red one
^^^ cracked me up too...what i find strange is that the ph1 172 has the same bulbs for the side lights as the ph2 have for main beams!!

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Blaze, What you on about?
HID's are not Xenons....

What is H.I.D.?
hidarc.gif
halogenfilament.gif
H.I.D. stands for High Intensity Discharge. It refers to lighting technology that relies on an electrical charge to ignite xenon gas contained in a sealed bulb (capsule). HID lighting doesn't have a filament but instead creates light by igniting an arc between two electrodes. HID lights get their name from the intense white light produced by the electrical discharge. HID lamps are also called xenon lamps, referring to a gas inside the lamps.

Mk1 V6 Import
Daz_2427 said:
lol, xenons don't even do the full beam mate, they're standard halogen filament lamps. Xenons are only dipped headlights.

Incorrect....www.HIDS4U.co.uk do aftermarket HID conversion kits for H7 and HB3 bulbs ie dipped beam and main beam. Waste of time for the main beam but it can be done. I always thought OEM xenons had both bulbs as HID's...

Nockmeister???? What's side lights got to do with it. Read what you have just typed. Side lights the same as dipped beam????? LOL

PaulJ their is gas in all bulbs it's the way it does it. HID's are what was fitted to the MK1 172, I had one, the 182 does NOT. Xenons have Xenon and have high voltage packs. They are not the same.

Blaze

Seems that manufactorers have a very light look on technology?????????????????? then if the stated MK1 lights are the same as the MK2's, ignoring of course the cheaper specked variants.

Blaze

RS Clio 182 Trophy
I have to say that reading some comments about xenons being pointless and nothing better than standard, makes me laugh. Definately xenon jealousy. I went from a 182 ff to a Trophy and the only thing I missed from the ff was the xenons... they are superb! Look the business too.

So many comments without knowledge. How come the 172 MK1 had HID's and the 182 (not cup,trophy) has been advertised along with the 172 MK2 as xenons. There is a difference. Read it. Either way the lights on a MK1 are no where near the same as a MK2,

I give up a youngun knows better than everyone else????????

This has been stipulated, proved, educated and done so many times. Read the tech. specs. This has been done over too many times. I just like to watch the flailings.

Blaze
ps put a MK1 against a MK2 and you will see a huge difference

PaulJ I love a debate.

When the MK1 172 was built there were cars with auto levellers/ washers and the rainbow tinge, i.e. xenons. Mostly from higher value purchases eg BMW, Merc, Lezus,, not the MK1 172. Rules for the fitment were there at the time. EU regs. anyone?.

Then the FF172/182 were fitted with xenons and have had to have had washer jets and auto levellers as STANDARD. Explain????

Blaze

LY182/NHB CTR
and i should have looked like i was really smart and clever and just copied and pasted the answer lol... but i couldnt take the credit

Pau,l
Why should I, you've made a huge mistake. (gas/voltage anyone) I don't like to even suggest I'm the best at explanation. However the mere hint of my last post means you were mistaken.

I can cut and paste if wanted, the reality still remains the same. If you are that bothered read up. They will explain better than me anyway.

My post still stands as you are aware these specs. are correct.

Get over it, xenons are not HID nor any form of Hologen. Xenons are still the best at lighting the road, in what people call normal conditions.

These facts, after all have been well and truely publishised. The one thing a manufacturer will do is lie about these types of specifications.

Sorry but it's a shame you feel it necessary to ask this. Surely you should read up before trying to win a debate you can't.

Blaze