ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do so many people sell up?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Something that I've notice a lot since I've been on this forum.

Why do so many people spend so much money on building pretty epic/mint cars track focused, and some that are just plain minters, and then either break them or sell up?

My electronics were fucked, and there were loads of little things wrong with it, like the horn not working, splitter cracked in 3 places....things like that.

Instead of pouring more money it I decided it was time to move on.

I had my fun in it, so it wasn't like I didn't get to see the benefits of all those mods.

Z4
People tend to mod as they´re bored, the new mod will only mask the boredom for so long until they look elsewhere!

In reality though, you get bored of any car eventually. Grass always seems greener on the other side..

You have to consider peoples personal situation doesn't stay the same. With the price of 182s at rock bottom, I would get fuk all for selling mine whole anyway.

People tend to mod as they´re bored, the new mod will only mask the boredom for so long until they look elsewhere!

In reality though, you get bored of any car eventually. Grass always seems greener on the other side..

That's true to a certain extent.

If my car hadn't royally pissed me off when I came back from Peru, and broke down in Heathrow car park, I would still be driving it. But it's still knackered, and that was 28th June!

That was the sign for me just to move on.......it won't piss me off again lol ;)

RS6 C7
Most people that complete "projects" usually sell within a month or 2, I know im doing the same, The people who mod like to keep things fresh and soon get bored of cars :( , Im hoping to keep my next car standard.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
although they handle well, they are a pretty slow car. it cost's stupid amounts to get them over even 200bhp. And lets face it howlong before 230bhp starts to feel slow.

Mini Cooper S sport
Because they realise their stripped-out track weapons are a pain in the arse to drive day to day. Same reason I never bought an R26R.

Because they realise their stripped-out track weapons are a pain in the arse to drive day to day. Same reason I never bought an R26R.

Wasn't a pain for me. I loved driving my stripped out caged Clio. Didn't bother me in the slightest.

I even drove it down the Heathrow quite often.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
It's weird, building the Clio was all adrenalin as it was happening at a quick pace and really enjoyed doing it. The anticipation of seeing the end result..... And now.... It feels like 1 big come down, built just to how i wanted it but not getting why i'm not making the most of it. And now wanting something different....

CBR1000RR Fireblade

+1

a few years ago i had a VTS track car as a work van. stupidest idea i have ever had tbh. i can see why people hate driving stripped cars as dailies, i wouldnt do it again.

thats why i shall not be stripping the 182 even though its only a toy. i dont think 1*2's are worth much anymore, they go for under 2k at auction, that might be another reason people are selling them. they could be trying to get some cash back while they still can.

ITB'd MK1
usually because people do too much in one hit so havn't got anywhere to go with their next mod. Often people mod for cool points rather than for their own enjoyment, and they dont actually enjoy what they've done.

Adding to a car gradually can be far more enjoyable. I personally love to modify, but I tend to go along the route of replacing broken parts with uprated, or adding extras when there's a reason to take the car apart

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
i get bored with cars, i mod them, spend too much on them, then get the itch for something else, and start all over again. its like how u get bored with women and want to shag different ones. :p

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
usually because people do too much in one hit so havn't got anywhere to go with their next mod. Often people mod for cool points rather than for their own enjoyment, and they dont actually enjoy what they've done.

Adding to a car gradually can be far more enjoyable. I personally love to modify, but I tend to go along the route of replacing broken parts with uprated, or adding extras when there's a reason to take the car apart

Kudos Dan, well put mate.

Lotus Elise
Adding to a car gradually can be far more enjoyable.

This is so true, after every mod I've done a trackday, great to see and feel the development and lets me know what needs doing next.

182 Cup
Circumstance for me, upcoming wedding, hopefully a baby after that - a two seater hatch with a loud exhaust isn't ideal! Still love driving it though, hence the reason I 'forgot' to readvertise on pistonheads. The future wife is happy as long as it's still up for sale!

Clio 172 cup
+1

a few years ago i had a VTS track car as a work van. stupidest idea i have ever had tbh. i can see why people hate driving stripped cars as dailies, i wouldnt do it again.

thats why i shall not be stripping the 182 even though its only a toy. i dont think 1*2's are worth much anymore, they go for under 2k at auction, that might be another reason people are selling them. they could be trying to get some cash back while they still can.

Totally true, you buy a lovely 172/182/cup/trophy, strip in out uprate the suspension and exhaust for track days and then it really is not usable on the road. To loud, to bumpy, what you do is make a great road car rubbish. Fantastic on the track rubbish on the road.

Then it starts to cost you every 5 minutes, you spend big money on rubbish stuff which had failed over time.

Oh well, I crashed mine in a big way at the ring but still can not decided whether to buy another or an r26, Its hurts less if they cost less.

If your selling Im looking to buy.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Agree with danny on what he said! I think to many people mod them just to say theyve done it, rather than modding to enjoy. I know people who buy a car, spend a fortune all at once 2-3k+ have the finished product then put it up for sale a month or 2 later
I bought my clio 3 years ago and over the space of those 3 years have done wht i want to it, along with making sure maintanance comes first before any mod.
Ive said it since day one and still say it now, i will never sell mine. I love it!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
This forum is nuts, dont get why people think its better to break rather than sell them hahahahaha! I think its everyone on here who undervalue them in the first place brainwashing themselves theyl get more money if they sell their seats, wheels and cup spoiler seperatly....

Problems usually start when they take their car to a self proclaimed tuning expert, hand over a sizeable amount of cash for a decent power hike involving cams/ITB's/Remaps or worse still a Turbo or supercharger. Car comes back doesn't want to start when hot, or cold, doesn't like to idle, misfires etc. Then follows months of return trips to said expert who never truely resolves the issues, owner falls out of love and punts said ruined car on for considerably less than the outlay just to be shot of it.

182 Cup
I'm not interested in breaking mine either. Too much like hard work, but I'm sure the parts would sell pretty quickly. It makes no odds really, I want to keep it, the propective wife thinks it's stupid.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
ill be honest if i had the cash id sell mine tomorrow and get a proper car, has to be said though for the money i dont think u can get a better fun car, especially the ph1 which i have, stupidly cheap these days.

DB.

BMW 440i
I sold up as my car was quite rattly, exhaust sounded like it was on it's way out at times, but not at others, all tyres relatively low, tax and mot in near future and to sort all that out was big £££.

I also wanted a new car which was newer, better built and german, so was the perfect opportunity so make the upgrade.

Black 172
A lot of it's due to financial sense or lack of I think, some people are good at earning money but then waste it big time by doing things a tightarse like me wouldn't dream of, and spending hundreds or even thousands on mods then selling for a loss soon after is a big no no for me. Even if I enjoyed modding cars (which I don't), there are plenty of other things I enjoy doing, but I stop myself because it's a waste of money!

DB.

BMW 440i
A lot of it's due to financial sense of lack of I think, some people are good at earning money but then waste it big time by doing things a tightarse like me wouldn't dream of, and spending hundreds or even thousands on mods then selling for a loss soon after is a big no no for me. Even if I enjoyed modding cars (which I don't), there are plenty of other things I enjoy doing, but I stop myself because it's a waste of money!

Agree and disagree with this.

I wouldn't waste money on food none stop, id rather shop properly and make meals rather than buying food at the canteen etc every day, but then I would go and blow a few hundred getting bits colour coded/new head unit etc where as the avg person wouldn't!

It's all personal preferences tbf.

182, 6r GTi
Problems usually start when they take their car to a self proclaimed tuning expert, hand over a sizeable amount of cash for a decent power hike involving cams/ITB's/Remaps or worse still a Turbo or supercharger. Car comes back doesn't want to start when hot, or cold, doesn't like to idle, misfires etc. Then follows months of return trips to said expert who never truely resolves the issues, owner falls out of love and punts said ruined car on for considerably less than the outlay just to be shot of it.

so true, i spent over 4k on tuning my s13s engine and kept having problems after a few months of constantly spending money and getting pissed of i broke the car for bits. was never going to get 4k+ for a rusty old nissan. loved it to start with but it pissed me off 1 to many times.

having little money to spend on my 182 is kinda working out well im not just doing everythink at once its taking time and making it more enjoyable like sideways said replace when needed or convenient or why els bother

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Definitley boredom, I love my car, I've had it for under 4 months and am still in the honeymoon stage. But I watched a 3 series BMW spin up his rear wheels today and thought I need RWD next. Already thinking of the next car!

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
I was short sighted selling my cup. One of the worst moves i've made.
I had the cup and my rx7 up for sle at the same time and the cup sold first. I needed to by new windows for the house (fail).
Its cost me a small fortune over the last few years to get a car i like as much as the cup and even the r26 isnt as much fun.
Id prob have saved myself 20k by keeping the clio.