ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why so slow in gear?

NEED V6!
The clio is quick of the line all the way to 100mph, but say your doing 50mph in fourth and put your foot down your realy notice it's just as quick as standard cars like a feista ST which is so slow from 0-100mph but just as fast as clio when in gear, If you get what i'm saying.:S

I feel that i need more power as getting dissapointed when being level pegged by average cars, was thinks of spending around £1800 at morego to gain 10nm and 20bhp, boosting performance 0-60mph in 6secs and 0-100mph in 14.25secs along with it going 50-70 in 4.8secs.

Comments are welcome!!!!

Nimbus Clio 197
if your being "level pegged" with average cars, then you need to learn the characteristics of the car better mate. if i wanted to pass a slower car in my type-r i would drop a couple of cogs to get it into the power band, and the same needs to be done in the clio.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Bigger engine, or a turbo. Or my favourite. Diesel power.

People will reply with "you don't need torque, you need to learn how to drive"

Bullshit, you're not always going to be doing 60mph, ready to go into 3rd for optimum acceleration, so what if you're doing 50 ?? Or 30 ?? You need to go into either 1st or 2nd and you'll have to shift mid-manouver. Sure that's something you can do, but it's neither as comfortable or as safe as it is to just plant it mid gear and have warp drive kick in.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
yellow182jon said:
The clio is quick of the line all the way to 100mph, but say your doing 50mph in fourth and put your foot down.

Dont put your foot down in 4th gear at 50, slam it into 2nd gear and boot it, that'll fire you into the power band and off you go.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Note to all, I'm not saying the 182 is s**t or that you should buy another car. Just it's not a torquey engine. Hell even my car has more torque than a 182!! And it's a 1.5! (example, I overtook a van up a hill at 60 in 5th the other day)

MINI JCW
cliokhunt said:
Bigger engine, or a turbo. Or my favourite. Diesel power.

People will reply with "you don't need torque, you need to learn how to drive"

Bullsh*t, you're not always going to be doing 60mph, ready to go into 3rd for optimum acceleration, so what if you're doing 50 ?? Or 30 ?? You need to go into either 1st or 2nd and you'll have to shift mid-manouver. Sure that's something you can do, but it's neither as comfortable or as safe as it is to just plant it mid gear and have warp drive kick in.

Agree loads of torque isnt essential but it makes driving fast a whole lot easier

BMW M4; S1000 RR
gazcaddy said:
Agree loads of torque isnt essential but it makes driving fast a whole lot easier

Try 450nm ;) The word you're looking for is effortless.

(and as a reference to the force, 182 drivers get 200nm delivered at roughly 5,000rpm, I'm sure someone knows the technical specs)

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
cliokhunt said:
Note to all, I'm not saying the 182 is sh*t or that you should buy another car. Just it's not a torquey engine. Hell even my car has more torque than a 182!! And it's a 1.5! (example, I overtook a van up a hill at 60 in 5th the other day)

wish i could overtake a van up a hill in my un-torquey cup:( lol

Honda Civic Type R
lets not forget that a 2.0 litre engine is relatively small so of course you will need to rag it a bit to get any serious acceleration. if you want instant power at any revs you need a much bigger engine with a much flatter torque curve. and preferably naturally aspirated or supercharged (but not turbo'd). like a bmw m5 for instance. i know that example is a bit extreme but it's the first thing i thought of. otherwise it's a case of dropping a cog like said above. surely thats the fun part of a hot hatch. my type r isn't necessarily the easiest car to drive fast. it doesn't have loads of power all through the rev band but needs to be revved. and i love doing it.

MINI JCW
yellow182jon said:
The clio is quick of the line all the way to 100mph, but say your doing 50mph in fourth and put your foot down your realy notice it's just as quick as standard cars like a feista ST which is so slow from 0-100mph but just as fast as clio when in gear, If you get what i'm saying.:S

I feel that i need more power as getting dissapointed when being level pegged by average cars, was thinks of spending around £1800 at morego to gain 10nm and 20bhp, boosting performance 0-60mph in 6secs and 0-100mph in 14.25secs along with it going 50-70 in 4.8secs.

Comments are welcome!!!!

The main reason the 182 has the same in gear acceleration as the Fiesta ST is that they have similar torque figures.

If you dont like or carnt be arsed to rev the balls of your 182 then maybe a turbo powered hot hatch will be best for you. However if you want to keep the 182 then GDI do a conversion which increases BHP to 197 and torque to 175-180lb/ft, that should help do the trick and I think thats for £1700. There are a few people who have had it done on here so they will know better than me, but from what i gather when rolling roaded the cars are producing the above figures. Im not sure about the Morego conversion as Im not aware anyone on here as had it done.

The GDI website is http://www.greydevilindustries.com/

BMW M4; S1000 RR
gazcaddy said:
The main reason has the same in gear acceleration as the Fiesta ST is that they have similar torque figures.

If you dont like or carnt be arsed to rev the balls of your 182 then maybe a turbo powered hot hatch will be for you. However if you want to keep the 182 then GDI do a conversion which increases BHP to 197 and torque to 175-180lb/ft, that should help do the trick and I think thats for £1700. There are a few people who have had it done on here so they will know better than me, but from what i gather when rolling roaded the cars are producing the above figures. Im not sure about the Morego conversion as Im not aware anyone on here as had it done.

The GDI website is http://www.greydevilindustries.com/

:quiet: Don't think so.

The point with the 182 is not that it's lacking torque, 200nm is more than enough to overtake, it's when this 200nm is achieved. And in most NA engines it's between 4.5 and 5.5 thousand rpm. When you'll more than likely be cruising below this (to save petrol). The only thing you can do to change this on the 182 is to install a small turbo or supercharger.

MINI JCW
cliokhunt said:
:quiet: Don't think so.

The point with the 182 is not that it's lacking torque, 200nm is more than enough to overtake, it's when this 200nm is achieved. And in most NA engines it's between 4.5 and 5.5 thousand rpm. When you'll more than likely be cruising below this (to save petrol). The only thing you can do to change this on the 182 is to install a small turbo or supercharger.

Surely this conversion will not only increase peak torque but increase torque across the whole rev range? Ok the characteristics of the engine will be the same but the increase in torque at lower revs will help in gear times

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I noticed a massive difference going from a 182 to a vr6.
Its so much more easy to leave it in 4th and let the v6 do the work

ian

Nissan 350Z
Its not only the fact that the Clio only has 148 lb ft of torque, but it does not peak until 5,250 rpm, which is about 85 mph in 4th!!!

The Clio is quite grunty for a 2.0 litre NA car, but overall, as you say its not a great car for ingear acceleration.

If you think the Clio is gutless, try one of the Japanese cars like the CTR, MX5 or Celica. The latter two, in particular, have absolutely no acceleration whatsoever in top gear. At least the Clio is decentish.

My old car was a Fabia vRS. That had 229 lb ft of torque at 1900 rpm and as such, in normal driving, felt MUCH quicker than the Clio. However, when you really drive with intent, the Clio is MUCH quicker than the Fabia.

Face facts - if you want a car with good ingear acceleration you really need to go for a turbo'd car, or one with more than 4-cylinders.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
pbirkett said:
Its not only the fact that the Clio only has 148 lb ft of torque, but it does not peak until 5,250 rpm, which is about 85 mph in 4th!!!

The Clio is quite grunty for a 2.0 litre NA car, but overall, as you say its not a great car for ingear acceleration.

If you think the Clio is gutless, try one of the Japanese cars like the CTR, MX5 or Celica. The latter two, in particular, have absolutely no acceleration whatsoever in top gear. At least the Clio is decentish.

My old car was a Fabia vRS. That had 229 lb ft of torque at 1900 rpm and as such, in normal driving, felt MUCH quicker than the Clio. However, when you really drive with intent, the Clio is MUCH quicker than the Fabia.

Face facts - if you want a car with good ingear acceleration you really need to go for a turbo'd car, or one with more than 4-cylinders.

Or one with more than 4 cylinders AND a turbo ;)

Nissan 350Z
Thing is if you adjust your driving style then it can feel quick without taking it to the limit. For example, even just driving with the revs between 4.5k and 6k is not thrashing it completely, but is good enough to give some serious progress compared to most cars.

Tangoed Works
Different cams can alter where peak torque is reached. Think you can get some schrick ones that produce the "5k kick" around 3-3500 rpm. Ideal for street racing or twisty circuits.

NEED V6!
Thanks for the comments i'll just have to try pushing the engine alot more as i've never seen the green indicator for gear change like people on here been talking about.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
You can't change the essential character of a car without spending huge amounts of money that you won't get back when you sell it.

If you like the mid-range torque that a Focus ST has better than you like the top end grunt of the Clio Sport then the solution is simple: trade in your Clio on an ST.

NEED V6!
GordonD said:
You can't change the essential character of a car without spending huge amounts of money that you won't get back when you sell it.

If you like the mid-range torque that a Focus ST has better than you like the top end grunt of the Clio Sport then the solution is simple: trade in your Clio on an ST.

Sorry mate but those Focus ST's are'nt good enough:rasp: for me need a v6 or evo.

Clio 182 Cup
yellow182jon said:
Thanks for the comments i'll just have to try pushing the engine alot more as i've never seen the green indicator for gear change like people on here been talking about.
Yeah, you've got to be making it scream for that little light to go *ding*. Incidentally, if you REALLY want to see it, try shifting into completely the wrong gear - that'll make it come on. Um...don't ask me how I know...