ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wifi Problem.

I have wifi at work but my laptop recently has decided it won't get online anymore.

It sees the network. It's manually configured for the ip address etc and none of that has changed. But now it connects and the 'packets' thing either sits at zero or gets to 1 or 3 and then does nothing else all day.

38d15ad3.jpg

I can't reset the router and I don't know the password as I'm not supposed to be on it anyway :eek:

My iPhone still works on it so the network is alive and well and even with the laptop next to the router the problem persists, so it's not a distance thing. I've also updated the driver but that didn't fix it.

Any suggestions? :(

dk

911 GTS Cab
I have this at home and the only thing which solves it is a reboot of the router, I can happily be on it with my phone, but not my laptop even though it connects.

So if you can put the laptop next to the router, why can't you reset it with a quick pull of the power cable?

Oh I can do that Dave. Done that loads.

What I meant was I don't have password access to change settings etc. I had problems before and people suggested a factory reset, which I can't do..

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Don't you have I.T guys at work? They'll know how to fix it, not much we can do from this end if they've got some specific set up, that and you're probably just a power user.

It's only a small place and there's no controls/restrictions on the laptop.

There's no IT guys, it's me who sets stuff up! Lol. We have a few office computers which are hardwired into the router but I set that up. Strange this is the wifi still works, it's just not working on the laptop even though it's connected.

My boss was fed up with the two office computers being linked and having to have one on so the other could use the internet as they were bridged so he bought a router. As always he got more extravagant than he needed. I set it up and just used the wireless on a stealth basis. This worked fine for years. No it's connecting but nothings working :(

At some stage, someone fiddled with it. Think it was the guys that run our till systems.

So instead of it being 192.168.1.?, it's 192.168.2.? but that was aaaages ago. Like I've said, nothing major can have changed as I still get on the wifi with my phone.

Megane 225 F1
Sneaky way. f**k the internet connection up on the computer your meant to be working at. Suggest to your boss that you will fix it. That then gives you the oppitunity to get to the source and set it up again.

Sneaky way. f**k the internet connection up on the computer your meant to be working at. Suggest to your boss that you will fix it. That then gives you the oppitunity to get to the source and set it up again.

I have no need for internet. I told him the laptop was too old when he bought the router and I can't get online. Lol.

I can get to his computer/router etc. But when I type in the address for the router on his, I get the linksys page but I can't log in. I've tried the default password and I've tried his usual password, but that doesn't work! :(

Megane 225 F1
:( He's on to you and changed passwords himself. Sorry to say it dude, but i dont think he wants you to use the internet no more.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
He's obviously not changed anything, your iPhone will be set to automatically detect and because you've configured your I.P settings on your laptop, it won't pick them up, most likely the default gateway being configured to 192.168.1 and because it's not static IP the router changes it every so often, it could be .2, or .3. Best to set it to automatically detect.

It only says disconnected because I turned it off. Lol. I was getting stupid popup and it kept flashing connected and was annoying me.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
It's not showing the adapter, so there's something definitely wrong there.

EDIT: Lol! Turn it on and then do ipconfig /all!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Ok, so it's definitely connected.

Go to your browser, tools, internet options, connections, lan settings, automatically detect. (unless you're running a proxy, which you won't be).

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Try repairing the connection (right click on the little computer in the taskbar).

Definitely try sneaking the router's plug out then back in again.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Ok, so it's definitely connected.

Go to your browser, tools, internet options, connections, lan settings, automatically detect. (unless you're running a proxy, which you won't be).

^ That's only relevant if you've got some way of automatically configuring proxy settings for client machines configured on the network (e.g; WPAD / script). If you haven't (which he most probably won't) then it's absolutely pointless and will simply cause IE to take a while longer to load its homepage.

Is the iPhone definitely using WiFi? If you're using iOS 4 you can turn cellular data off completely to ensure it's the WiFi working and not reverting to cellular. That'll confirm the wireless network is OK.

The TCP/IP settings look correct. Can you try connecting the laptop to the router via an ethernet cable and see if that works? If it doesn't it'll indicate a corrupt TCP/IP stack. If it does, it's something to do with your wireless settings.

iPhone is definitely 100% wireless.

Can't plug it in haven't got a cable or the stealth skills to do that. Lol.

I can try it another day with a cable I guess. Should have one at home.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Try this:

Open a command prompt.
Type the following: netsh int ip reset then press enter.
Configure the wireless adapter to automatically detect settings.
Remove any third party wireless software. You only need the driver installed, Windows can handle the rest.
Reboot.

See if it works. If the laptop works wirelessly anywhere else though it'll make bugger all difference - in which case don't bother.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Cant you just manually assign an IP to yourself?

You know the range. Should be easy.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
He's already got an IP...

There's no other reason why this wouldn't be working. It's definitely the internet as everything else seems ok. Either your modem is buggered, or the net is down, contact your ISP.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Nice edit dumbo!

The way i see it;

1. Wireless adapter is buggered
2. Something is blocking traffic (On the laptop)
3. IP address is already in use or not configured correctly