ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will a ecu, uch, key set up from a 182 fit a 172 cup??

Clio 172 cup
Will a ecu, uch, key and decoder ring from a ph2 172 ff or a 182 fit a 172 cup, bearing in mind that a 172 cup obviously doesn't have air con or climate etc??

330i. E30 Touring.
I've got the lot from 2x 182's that i'll let go cheap.

Not sure if they're changeable though//

Clio 172 cup
Ok mate, when i find out the answer to the question i will let u know, can u pm me your cheapest price posted

Obviously a 182 ecu/uch will control, climate, xenons, rains sensitive wipers, air con, auto lights all of which my cup doesnt have

330i. E30 Touring.
£80 posted each.

Come with ECU, UCH, key, decoder ring and all relevant locks from the car if required. It is easier to just change the keyblade from your old key though..

Firstly decoder rings arn't specific so they can be cahnged regardless.

If they would fit not sure the cup has a different loom for the lack of abs and a gearbox speedo sensor which will afecxt it a 182 has different ampping as well.

I'd say it would work for a guess but not sure about the speedo that probably would. The probelm would be sometimes when the ecu/uch etc are all unpluged you need to get a cclip computer to sync them all again.

Why would you need a whole new setup though persoanly i'd just remaped the ECU or UCH seperatly for new or cleaned ones or get your UCH/ecu cleaned for any codes and reuse them fro simplicity sake.

The UCH should be ok though in the full fat cars since its a higher level the cup has the basic ECU and you can always upgrage never downgrade.

Clio 172 cup
Thanks Edde, basically my 172 cup wont start, immobiliser light is on solid red when key is turned, tried pretty mich everything so far.

Just think it will be a far easier job replacing the ecu, uch set instead of getting the car towed to renault for a dianostics check and fixed by them

Golf GTD Mk7
Correct. 172ph2 would fit, but uch settings are different and as mentioned, abs and traction etc aren't on the cup, so you're better getting like for like

Clio 172 cup
I can understand how a cup set up would not work on a full fat 172 but doing it the other way round would it still not work and all the extras the cup doesnt need just not be used

Black Gold Trophy
The UCH would need reprogramming, an N3 can be used in place of an N2 (which is what your 172 cup will have)

I'm not sure if the looms are the same though, I know they are interchangeable on a 182, not sure about the 172/172 cup though.

Black Gold Trophy
I reckon you would potentially create more problems than you would solve by swapping the ECU/UCH.

I would personally tackle the problem at hand mate. You never know, the problem could be due to a wiring fault and you could end up spending money on a UCH, Key and ECU to find it doesnt cure it.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 cup
Lol. I really cant get my head round electrics, i can wire up stereos and amps etc no bother, but have no knowledge of testing amp/voltage with multimeters etc. should really learn.

Anyway.......had another quick look and found this

The picture you see is the bottom of the ecu case at the far side of the battery tray.

Dont know if u can see but looks like the corner of the ecu case has rubbed its way into the armoured sleeve of the ecu wiring. Wonder if this could be the problem

Looks like i will have to cut all the armoured sleeve off to investigate

I feel brave

e8cd9384.jpg

Black Gold Trophy
Could well be the problem, I would disconnect the battery before investigating further to prevent anything shorting out

EDIT: You probably have already if you managed to get the camera in that position

Clio 172 cup
Yeah had a brief look today and couldnt see any breaks in the wires, pretty sure its a wiring problem somewhere between the uch and ecu, will report back once my autoelectrician has had a look