ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will they charge me?

Titanium F/F 182
I took my car into Arnold Sharks in St. Helens to get a faulty coolant sensor fixed and what I thought was a lose heat sheild put right. When I got the car back they said they needed to order some parts and to call back today. So I called them this morning and they told me they have ordered a new centre box and sleeve to fix the rattle. Am I right in thinking that a centre box is on the exhaust and I will be presented with a bill if I let them go ahead and fit it and not done under warranty? Also what is a sleeve? The car has got to back anyway because it sounds like a brake disc is sticking. There is a loud whining sound coming from the back left when driving along. They said they checked them and all seems fine. They even said the brake discs were less than 50% worn so it might not be the brakes. Any other suggestions what it might be?

Lee

BMW M2C
I've always had that done under warranty. That's always been in the first 12 months. They may charge a percentage after the first year.

The sleeve allows them to join the exhaust. When fitted at the factory it's one piece from the cat back, to replace a section they have to cut it and then sleeve it to rejoin it.

Ad

MK2 FRS
If they did not advise you of cost then it will be warranty, id imagine with yours being just a yr old and low mileage then it will be warranty.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If they don't tell you that its going to cost you anything then i'd let them go ahead and do it . Thats what Kitchens did at Burnley with me, when i went to pick the car up the guy on the desk said that'll be £360 . I told em the other guy who was on his day off said it would be ok and never told told me it would cost me . So i had one pretty p*ssed of service manager and one very much in trouble service guy , lol .

They couldn't exactly take the new one off and put the old one back on as it was probably in bits .

Clown Car
Along the same lines regarding the warranty situation, it sounds as if i have a slight 'whistle' from the exhaust when i accelerate, more noticeable with the windows down, it's not the wing mirror as that is a different whistle - lol, if i take the car to renault and they do not find anything and say that's how they are will they charge me the time for investigation of the alledged fault, or is that covered under warranty?.

i just got mine back last week with the same problem as you. i got it done in loughborough and had a new center section under warrenty. car is about 2 years old now.
funnily enough i've also got what sounds like a sticking brake disc. it squeaks when i'm not even touching the pedal. touch the pedal and it stops for a bit then comes back.

Titanium F/F 182
bloo_joo said:
i just got mine back last week with the same problem as you. i got it done in loughborough and had a new center section under warrenty. car is about 2 years old now.
funnily enough i've also got what sounds like a sticking brake disc. it squeaks when i'm not even touching the pedal. touch the pedal and it stops for a bit then comes back.

SNAP. Exactly the same as me. did you mention it when it was in the stealers?

i did mention it, but i was more bothered about the exhaust at the time. only really noticing it now the exhaust is sorted. its quite embarrasing when you've got the windows open and can hear what everyone else can hear.
when the exhaust was done they said both the front discs were worn on the inner faces but it only seems to squeak on the left side. dont know if thats got anything to do with it or not though.
i've noticed when it squeaks if i speed up or slow down gently so does the noise like somethings a bit wonky somewhere.
if you get them fixed, post what the cause is and i'll do the same if mine get fixed.

speaking to my mechanically minded mate last nite, he reckons my problem is the discs are worn and uneven so the pads are touching occasionally. so i'm going to get new discs and pads and hope that sorts it out.

well in case anyone is interested. i had my discs and pads changed yesterday and the squeaking when driving normally has gone away. they just squeak when breaking now. hopefully that will stop when they've worn a bit more.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
You say loose heat sheild. What does this sound like? Does it rattle when you are off the throttle and slowing down?

My exhaust has starting making a sound and I had no idea what it was, but think it could be this. Anybody else know?