ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams 2 Help.. What to look for when buying?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Thinking about going to have a look at one later as a second car of mine, used for work and trackdays etc.

What should i look for?

What the advert says:
Completely original with no modifications.rare car. pirelliP6000 tyres. new exhaust & wheel bearings.very long MOT. TOAD security. CD. Lots of history/receipts. very good condition.

Is that too many miles?

Whats the mpg of these things on a mway run.?

cheers for any info.

Ha ha I just saw that on the trader.

30 to 33 mpg ish depends how you go

best do a search but check for rush in the rear arches asnd the jacking points and sill salso the rear window

check the engine is ok gearbox is fine stearing and brakes in a straight line

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
how much is it worth? it's just along the road from me so no harm looking i guess.

how much is it worth? it's just along the road from me so no harm looking i guess.

Its worth what someone will pay.

Its not a bad price at all if its in good nick.

When you drive it though thats what will make you buy one its the most fun to drive Clio of the lot IMO.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Anything else to be on the lookout for? are these due belts every 60k? meaning it's due now?

S2000
Timing belt is 72k or every 5 years but should really be done before that. As edde says check for rust on arches sills etc the usual tbh. Other common problems are things like play in the steering column (£30 fix) and leaky sunroof. Tbh there is a lot more to look for if you want to go into detail but best to do a search as its been covered before, or try searching on www.williamsclio.co.uk

As for milage, 120,000 isn't much as long as it has been looked after. Mine is on about 100,000 and still going very strong and I know of a few going strong on 160,000+ and even one that was fine at 250,000 miles.

Also, if its in good condition £1500 is an absolute bargain imo as you would be looking at paying about £4k for a mint example.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
thats what i was thinking regarding the price, see a lot going for the likes of 2500-3500. 1500 is more like a valver price isnt it.!?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
It's worth having a search on here, the differences have been covered a lot of times.

Ah, found a few good threads... Now time to convince the wife it's a good idea!

She'll still have my Seat so i dont see why she would have any problem. lol

S2000
It's worth having a search on here, the differences have been covered a lot of times.

Ah, found a few good threads... Now time to convince the wife it's a good idea!

She'll still have my Seat so i dont see why she would have any problem. lol

The main thing I would say is don't necessarily go there expecting to buy it. I've been to see countless 16v's in the past but have passed on most of them because if you get a bad one they can be a money pit, however if you get a good one they can be very reliable.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
I dont know if i want one yet but if it was nice enough then i'd probably go for it.

It says loads of reciepts so a good guide to what he's had to done and what would still need done.!?

Last edited:
  Tweaked Leon Cupra R
never had any runins with mk1 clios tho dude, dont know what the fu(k to look at!

Anyone want to come hold ma hand the morn?

p.s. i dont think ma wife liked the idea, i think she thinks it'll break then i'll need the leon to take to work and she'll be left wi heehaw! (she's probably right but wheres the fun in that)

ValverInBits
most expensive fixes that you can look for are going to be rusty arches, rusty sills/jack points, new tailgate is quite cheap but they rust too.

Steering column universal joints have a habbit of breaking, so the steering feels loose, then you need a new column, which is NOT a quick job.

Ask if you can hear the engine from cold. Loads of people try and warm them up before you come to hide bad tappet wear. From cold, the engine WILL be tappety, but as it warms that should subside almost completely (although at 120k miles it wont). Warn tappets are no disaster, but you do have to live with them.

S2000
Tbh, having looked at the advert I've realised how close it is to me so if you don't go I might be along to have a look myself as a potential stop gap if I decide I'm going to turbo the hybrid, lol.

And your wife could be right btw, after all it is an old french car ;).

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
Haha, it would have to be semi reliable for me! Although at that price you could probably sell it in 6-12 months for the same price if not more!

Cheers for the info guys!

ValverInBits
Haha, it would have to be semi reliable for me! Although at that price you could probably sell it in 6-12 months for the same price if not more!

Cheers for the info guys!

true could sell it without deprechiation. Thats the joys of old cars.

I met a guy who went from a MK1 clio 16v, to a Leon Cupra R and then back to a valver (as a daily i should add :cool:) becuase he got bored of the cupra. Interesting seeing how far apart they are price wise.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
as said mate jacking points arches leaking sunroof etc 120k is nothing if its been very well maintained, what cupra R do you have mate im from Aberdeen also:)

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
its a 54' 225 model, runs the tt/s3 front end. K04 turbo wi twin ic's. Its mapped to 260/260 1/4 miles in low 14's. Got brembos wi ds2500s to stop it!

Ironically the wife drives the kids about in it. To the shops n that! Lol

ST
Look for spiders in the arches, spiders in the dash board, rust pretty much everywhere oh and stupid aftermarket air filters...ask Ali lol..

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
LOL. Its 100% STD and I didn't see any spiders. Mechanically it looks ok but it has a few battle scars. Hmm, I'm not too sure on it which makes me think don't do it.

Going back to sift through the history later as the guy never had much time on his hands.