ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams Engine, Bullet Proof?

6/468 17poo
Been looking at getting a williams for a long time now, but mileage is a concern, ones popped up but with around 120k on is that gonna be a concern, what are these engines like?

Bullet Proof or just French?

What would you guys look for?

Golf GTI PP Mk7
see if u can track stromba down, he'll tell you about them :cool:

on a serious note, from what i gather they are no more or less reliable than any other renault lump check for rust on the rear arches tho, thats a bit of a prob on the mk1's. as long as its been looked after properly 120k shudnt be too bad.

I believe that some have been stripped down at 250k and they've been absolutely fine!

It might be worth changing the ancillary items though and giving it a service before you drop it in, like filters, oil, coolant, water pump, belts etc, as it will be cheaper and easier to do it while it's not in the car, and will be a good precautionary measure!

A4 Avant
I believe that some have been stripped down at 250k and they've been absolutely fine!

It might be worth changing the ancillary items though and giving it a service before you drop it in, like filters, oil, coolant, water pump, belts etc, as it will be cheaper and easier to do it while it's not in the car, and will be a good precautionary measure!

Not sure but I think beatjunkie is talking about buying the car as a whole.

6/468 17poo
Yeah Paul akaFatboy, has a willy3 lives near me we're gonna go view it on sun, rear arches are fine, its a williams1, seems like its been looked after well just asked loads a questions regarding, clutch, belts, engine and box!any other things to look for?

Yeah Paul akaFatboy, has a willy3 lives near me we're gonna go view it on sun, rear arches are fine, its a williams1, seems like its been looked after well just asked loads a questions regarding, clutch, belts, engine and box!any other things to look for?

He knows his stuff mate but try on Williams Clio there all very helpful on there.

:)

Clio 172
I had a Williams 2, took punishment like a good 'un and the engine never missed a beat, pulled like a cocker spaniel at the leash!! I'd get it remapped too, they go like rocket ships.

williams and trophy
if well looked after they are pretty bullet proof. the boxes arent as bullet proof as the lump, so this would be the first concern of mine at that mileage. other than that tho, if the bodyworks alright the mechanical side of things can be replaced/renewed, meg btm ends go for £100-200 boxes are dear £600 from reno, but these all cheaper than gettin the arches done properly etc .

also springs will be a bit knackered if not replaced (susp) and are expensive to replace

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Some people have spent 10k during there short few years with a willy.So beware and make sure its a good one...

ian

LY 200
The willy engine i had was fine mate but it was only on 45ish k when I had it.

My valver engine was reliable up until when the gearbox went at 92k, i think it depends how much theyve been looked after by the past owner and how much your willing to look after them really.

Some people have spent 10k during there short few years with a willy.So beware and make sure its a good one...

ian

£12.5 for me... that's just fixing the c**t... could have bought an E39 M5, a nice Evo or R33 GTR for the money I spent on that...

ian

£12.5 for me... that's just fixing the c**t... could have bought an E39 M5, a nice Evo or R33 GTR for the money I spent on that...

s**t! lol scary when you look at things in those terms, suppose at the time though it don't seem like your spending that cash!

Still worth it though :D

yeah, spent about another £2k+ on mods too, plus buying the thing and it's an expensive toy... it was worth it though to a degree, only money at the end of the day and it was pretty reliable in the last 6 months I owned it... I'll get something really mental after this Clio I think... the intention being to keep it as I get it, ideally stock lol

williams 2
there ok!! ive just picked up 2 engines and 2 gearboxs complete with all other parts for under 700 quid!! so im backed up for spares now!! :D

williams and trophy

s**t! lol scary when you look at things in those terms, suppose at the time though it don't seem like your spending that cash!

Still worth it though :D

thing is tho john...how much in labour?? lol

like iv said above.....if looked after they are pretty much bullet proof.

i had the o.e engine in mine for 2 years, after the clutch went i decided to do a bit of upgrading. hehe. out came the eng/box, and in went a rebuilt meg 2.0 b/e, willy head/box, with cams, higher spec clutch etc etc etc (£2k build inc eng and box) ran this for 2 years.no trouble at all, until the kent cams exploded and wiped the top end out. so new top end fitted and has been fine ever since.....well....until the box mount snapped on way to oulton n trashed the gearbox.

in total....the cars had 2 engines, 3-4 heads, and 5 boxes in the time iv had it.

the engine out of it originally is still mint, bores etc, no real need to change it really.

the 4 heads....the oe 1, the replacement, the 1.8 head when the cams exploded, and the willy replacement

boxes...now im harsh on boxes as a few ppl will know lol. but evry box bar 1 has been an unknown 2nd hand item, max £130 purchase price. all lasted well over 6 months lol. a new un at 600 wud last well over 12 months ...hehe... the original box out of it has now gone back in. and i was runnin on that for over 2 years.

personally...iv found i tend to break most cars within a few months.....takes me at least a year between owt major in the clios. and iv had a few lol.

that's more luck than anything Jon, I treated mine better that you do yours in terms of mechanical sympathy, I don't give them death from cold etc, it's really just pot luck, but I did also put 50k on mine too and used it everyday for fairly long runs a lot of the time.

spent too much on that Williams... was fun but I wont do it again lol