ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

williams or 172

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

id definately say the williams is more of a classic!!!!

The Williams is a superb drivers car, and its not relative to FWDs or anything, its superb in its own right. I wouldnt say its an absolute legend, many car lovers i know dont think "wow a williams" when i mention them. But then, its a hatchback, not that exciting.

Id still prefer a 172 though, out with the old, in with the new ;)

-Rob

Revels Mum & Sister

Hard to compare I think!!!

The 172 is valver of today! And the Cup the Williams (kind off before I get flamed)

Williams is a classic! PLus 172 is still being made and the Williams hasnt been made for years either!!

For the money I would pay the extra and buy a 172!!

Wasnt the Williams voted best hot hatch ever of all time?

Williams.. Wins.. Flawless Victory. HEH

Renault Laguna Coupe

Williams Id say. But if you need to rely on it for work etc buy a 172 which will be a lot more reliable (prepares to be shot down)

TT 225

I dunno - i drive my Williams every singe day to work and its never broken down or had any major problems - pretty good for an 8 yr old car :)

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Willy is the dogs nads for a car that is nearly 10 years old.. I had the pleasure of driving one all weekend and I loved it even more so than my old 172 Mk2. Its more raw..

Williams for performace + looks.

172 for reliability.

I also drive my valver everyday and have at least 1 major problem per month. This month was the head.:( Im hoping within the next year, all wearing parts will be changed and i should have a good runner.

Whats this strange word used by Dust "reliability" whats that then??? ;)

Impossible to compare until the 172 has some more years on it... time will tell.

If I had a Williams I wouldnt want to drive it...maybe i should put my 172 in bubble wrap in the garage for ten years and see :cool:.

I do think that if they stop making 172s soon, they will become classic, but more so, the mark 1 172 and V6 :D

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 31 July 2003

Williams By about 500 yards.
Tom havent you ordered a 172 ????

any way as chavyboy said the williams has raw power and is a car that wants to be driven !

the 172 is just to refind as for its reliability all i see on this forum is complaints about 172s going back to the dealership

so tell me whats more exceptable an older car having a few problems or a new car that has problems

i am sure GTi Girl would take u out for a spin

Quote: Originally posted by ChavyBoy on 31 July 2003

Willy is the dogs nads for a car that is nearly 10 years old.. I had the pleasure of driving one all weekend and I loved it even more so than my old 172 Mk2. Its more raw..
Smiles a huge smile and agrees

Drove a 172 before chosing the williams just prefer the drive and get to every day

:D

Why does one have to be better anyway? Why cant we just love all Clios equally ?:D

Leaving us more energy to unite against the common enemy THE VAUXHALL NOVA :devilish:

Clio 182 w/ cup packs

Hothatch of the 70s - Golf GTi

Hothatch of the 80s - Peogeot 205 GTi

Hothatch of the 90s - Williams Clio

Ive dreamed about owning a Williams since I was 12.

Ive had mine for 4 months now, and fookin love the thing.

Havent driven a 172, so ull probably call me biased as im gonna say pick the Willy.

But looks wise, The Willy wins hands down, handling wise - the Willy again. Performace - ok the 172 wins it, but only just. And according to EVO, if put the two against each other head-to-head on a track, the Willy will win.

So if that aint enuff to convince ya mate, i dunno wot is.

Trophy

Quote: Originally posted by dj illusion on 01 August 2003

Ive had mine for 4 months now, and fookin love the thing.

Havent driven a 172, so ull probably call me biased as im gonna say pick the Willy.

But looks wise, The Willy wins hands down, handling wise - the Willy again. Performace - ok the 172 wins it, but only just. And according to EVO, if put the two against each other head-to-head on a track, the Willy will win.

So if that aint enuff to convince ya mate, i dunno wot is.

Didnt know they made the Williams back then?;)

Mat.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by matbrown on 01 August 2003

Didnt know they made the Williams back then?

Mat.

Says Mat, 25 and slightly thinning on top :D

Williams.

Conceived at a time when Renault were doing the buisness on the F1 and BTCC circuits it captured a the essence of their motorsport dominance.

Trophy

Quote: Originally posted by ChavyBoy on 01 August 2003

Quote: Originally posted by matbrown on 01 August 2003

Didnt know they made the Williams back then?

Mat.

Says Mat, 25 and slightly thinning on top

Thanks mate!

Thats a compliment!

Im 26 and more than slightly thinning!

Mat.

Quote: Originally posted by kis172 on 01 August 2003

however, if you want a new car, then the choice is obvious isnt it?
Yup - go into you local Renault dealer and order every Williams part and stick them all togethor;)

williams without a doubt

its got the name

its got the pace

its got the handling

its got the looks

its got exclusivity

its to heritage

its got everything

hehe

williams

i would swap our 172 and valver for a brand new williams

says it all really

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by night.icon on 31 July 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 31 July 2003

Williams By about 500 yards.
Tom havent you ordered a 172 ????

any way as chavyboy said the williams has raw power and is a car that wants to be driven !

the 172 is just to refind as for its reliability all i see on this forum is complaints about 172s going back to the dealership

so tell me whats more exceptable an older car having a few problems or a new car that has problems

i am sure GTi Girl would take u out for a spin

No i havent but i get what you mean but i want a\c and a few more toys

Toureg vW Transporte

my 16 valve is best. ........oh right its between williams and 172, oh and my 16 valve doesnt actually move. lol

BMW 320d Sport

Depends what you want really. If you want the ultimate hot hatch then it has to be a Williams. No competition.

If you want something fast with all the toys thatll keep up with the ever increasing pace of modern day hot cars then its the 172.

From what I hear on here, modern day Renaults are just as unreliable/badly put together as older ones so reliability is not really a reason to get a 172! IMHO if it was a straight choice, the 172 wouldnt even come into it. What other hatch is still worth at least a third of its new value ten years later? A Williams and theres plenty of reasons why. But then Im biased cos I have always admired the Williams, own a 16v and know the older cars better. Theres no doubting that Renault raised the bar again when they brought out the 172. Before that most manufacturers had abandoned the hot hatch market and were coming out with overstyled & underperforming shopping cars.