ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams - rusty front crossmember

Williams 2
Just starting a restoration on my williams, have stripped the whole front end to look for rust and its surprisingly clean. Did come across 2 spots that are bad, both are on the front crossmember. Whats the best way to repair? Is it worth cutting the whole part out and replacing or just welding/grinding the affected area?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
If it's gone through you'll need to cut out bad and weld, but it looks like just surface rust, just clean it back to bare metal and use some etch primer or zinc primer.
You could even just wire brush it to remove and flaky stuff and use some rust converter - I use Loctite rust preventer 7503 - it's expensive for what you get, but good stuff.
Good idea to use some polyurethane seam sealer along the seams.

Then some stone-chip over the top.

Williams 2
If you look closely at the pics the rust has gone through. Initially looked like surface rust but i took a wire wheel to it and ended up breaking through all the loose stuff.

Looks like its probably a common spot to rust on mk1 clio's, wondering how people are sorting it, welding patches or replacing the complete crossmember

Punto/Clio GTT
depends how far youre going with it. if youre going for minty mint then put an entire new section in, if youre just getting rid of the bad spots then patch it up by cutting the bad sections out. how many holes are in it and how far along isit, like isit concentrated in 1 area or isit all the way along? if youre looking at doing 3 or 4 patches, its gonna be easier to just drill it out and put a new cross member in. i dunno if renault supply them now, so youll need one off a 2nd hand car, valver will be fine