ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams steering rack

Can any one tell me if the williams steering rack is much different from the 16v one? i may have to look for a new rack and have found some valver ones. will they fit? or will it effect the drive?

Cheers

Rich

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

id of thought the only difference possibly might be the rack ratios but i bet a normal 16v rack would fit.You can get reconditioned exchange racks fairly cheap now.Whats wrong with your rack?

The actual rack unit is the same but the steering arms coming out are longer on a Williams to take account of the wider wheelbase.

Well there is quite a bit of play on the steering wheel, and has become more noticable recently. wanted to get it sorted. the AA guy said it was the steering rack, but its getting looked at tomorrow, there is a link and a couple of other things it could be apparently.

any ideas what it could be?

5 weeks. Youll be lucky to get one within 5 months. I ordered mine in January this year, and was still waiting in June. I chased them all the time. After further investigation by Renault, it wasnt the rack but the bottom of the steering column. Got the column within a couple of days. Get your column inspected thoroughly (ooeer), as it is quite difficult to spot the fault on mine.

Is the valver streaing rack the same as the RSI one? I need a new rack. Cheapest new one I found was GSF for £200 but you have to pay £300 then they give you £100 for your old rack.

I was told by renault that you cant get refurbed power steering racks, where they wrong? where can I get me a refurb?

process of elimination replace the track rod ends and bottom ball joints as a matter of course, there is very little witin the rack that can actually "wear" if the steering has deteriorated radidly then its almost certainly the track rod ends

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

renaults wear track arms out like mad.they can be removed from the rack and replaced if nes.

The Garage had a look at it, and the track rod ends are fine, and the ball joints had been replaced recently. Apparently its due to wear in a link at the bottom of the steering column.

That the same as you Dno194? How much was the column? or new parts for??

Cheers guys