ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

williams vs 172

Why cant we compare cars without it causing arguments - even Ive stopped doing it !!!!!!lol Lets all get on now and for those who call for threads to be locked thats a sure sign of intimidation...........;)

Closing threads is a from of fascism!!!!

lol, you know what i mean, im all for free speech but some people see it as an open invitation for a ruck when these topics crop up

Id want a mint Willy for leisure and a 172 for daily driving. Most 172s are good uns and will be faster than the Willy, not much, but a little - but thats missing the point.

I doubt many people would buy a Willy over a 172 while theyre still new - it will be more of an issue as 172 prices drop to Willy levels.

As time goes on though, Im sure people will buy the Willy mainly for classic status and the 172 for the sorts of reasons people nowadays buy a Clio 16V (performance per £).

Oh - what about the git who changed marathon to snickers and oh - jif to cif - whats all that about did they actually think cif sounded better???? What about changing clio to flio or somat?

320d M Sport

this is sad!

i mean if someone cant post a topic without everyone asking for it to be shut down-without it even being given a chance, is just plain ridiculous. This is a discusson forum after all.

Going from experience it seems to depend if youve got a good or bad example of either. Mine does 14.9 1/4 mile standard, jons recently got a 14.6 (nearly standard). There are examples of slower cars for each so a certain amount does depend on the driver. Atthe end of the day the williams has got around 150BHP which is still a hell of a lot!

But, i would say 7/10 times the 172 would be quicker in a straight line......

thats cuz its newer so people havnt had the kind of developement time that they have had with the 16v and willy, look back in 5years time and im sure there will be loads of products available

was said in jest paddy, im totally for everyone to discuss things i just think sometimes these things get out of hand, had a crap day so chalk it up to that, just didnt want yet another vs thread turning into a free for all verbal abuse thread

Yeah, as someone mentioned the 172 is a bit quicker to 60mph and a bit quicker again to 100mph. Still managed to give Paddy a decent run around the Peak Disctrict after the RR day (even though there was too much traffic for any real fun :().

Standard 172 vs Standard Williams in a straight line and the Williams will be a bit behind......but not by much!

Anyway, the thread title was "williams vs. 172" and i say WILLIAMS! cos it handles better ;)

320d M Sport

ok im cool now!

its true theres feck all round for the 172 lump at the mo! And Rhys yeah, both u and Cooper S Boy were givin it some welly and i had it floored so RESPECK!!!! seems like u got a good un, maybe its the twin bonnet bulge?!

Going from experience of a 4 mile race with a 172 I can confidently say they are quicker than a williams.

I caught up a little round roundabouts but in a straight line the extra 20 odd horses meant it pulled away gradually... also due to the fact that I backed off at about !15 because it was silly.

CTR EK9 turbo

Surely theyre about the same bhp/tonne?

I dont know how people can judge cornering ability - this handles better than that etc.

Its 90% driver im afraid. Whoever is behind will easily keep up with whoever is leading (if cars are as similar power to weight etc). The person in front has to watch out for everything and is going to be more cautious, unless they know the road etc.

On a track, then its solely down the driver in this case also. But 90% people dont drive on tracks and after all the cars are ROAD cars.......

for example about 2 days ago I "Kenmore speciald" a blue 16v that was harrassing me down the hindhead road. (you know who you are numberplate **6200!!), this was solely because i gave it death and the driver behind didnt drive as aggresively as i was, but was trying to keep up. I could say i toasted him and my car handles 1000000 times better judging by the huge gap that was established, but he didnt take the corners as fast etc and didnt straight line the corners etc.

once again. Its down the the drive in all cases.

On the road its "whos the most daring" - and no other questions really. You could get TOASTED by something with less power and more body roll etc if it was driven with more enthusiasm.

CTR EK9 turbo

disclaimer - only straight line corners that you can see around etc. Racing is dangerous dont do it or you will die.......etc etc etc

Quote: Originally posted by Simon172 on 22 May 2003

I dont know how people can judge cornering ability - this handles better than that etc.
Just personal experience for me. To be more precise, I should say that the Williams is more forgiving than the 172. In the 172 that I had, I span it once and had a few scary understeer moments when pushing it/driving beyond my capabilities.

The Williams turns into corners better than the 172 and suffers from less body roll than the 172 (although it sits much lower as standard - maybe something to do with it?). I had my 172 lowered as I didnt like the roll. The Willy is also more adjustable mid corner. I tended to find that in the 172 I had to commit myself to a corner and if I fecked it up things could get a but hairy. If it starts to go wrong in the Willy, I can just steer myself out of it.

Im not knocking the 172s handling, its just that the Williams really is quite superb. If you enjoy roundabouts in the 172, youll love them in the Williams.

Not stopping me from going back to a 172 in the near future though :D

106 gti is better handling than both and faster to 60 than williams i have both but the 2l in the willy is great in 3rd gear.

320d M Sport

hmm, u try racing jons williams and hell anhialate you!!! Dont think ive EVER seen a 106 beat a Williams to 60?

106 outhandle both?? lol

I had a rallye before the 16v, theres no way it would keep with a valver through the twisties let alone the willy!

Please god dont let me start a ruck... but ive never yet come accross a 106 thats better handling/accelerating than a clio 16v let alone a willie???

A girl at work had a Gti and it was quick but not that quick...

But then i guess it depends what youve done to it adz33.

Cant see there would be much between a willie and a 172 in the real world.

Quote: Originally posted by adz33 on 22 May 2003

106 gti is better handling than both and faster to 60 than williams i have both but the 2l in the willy is great in 3rd gear.
Hmm I must have been up against bad 106 gti drivers in my 2 races!! Or im a good driver!:D

I find these discussions interesting not annoying, so many people have different opinions and experiences......its good to read - They dont have to get arguementative.

To be fair though these questions have been raised so many times the forum search is littered with them!

I would love to have a go in a Willy (!) Maybe someone can take me for a spin in theirs if they go to the southend meet?:D

Just had my 106 gti rolling roaded its 139bhp @ 6495rpm and 124Lb/ft torque at 5250rpm, this is quite a bit over normal for sayin it only has zorst and ind kit. I guess its just a more powerful example like craggys vts. I wasnt knocking the williams its a great car but for acceleration in 1st and 2nd i prefer the gti as it is quicker than my willy. The willy however is better for 1/4 mile and top speeds. the 106 is a little more forgiving aroung the corners if you dont believe me read evo issue 34 when they tested the cars around the same track and the 106 got the best lap time.

Adam

Quote: Originally posted by adz33 on 23 May 2003

the 106 is a little more forgiving aroung the corners if you dont believe me read evo issue 34 when they tested the cars around the same track and the 106 got the best lap time.
Really?! I thought the 106 and VTR/S had a reputation for catching out the unwary. Didnt think it was possible to be much more forgiving than the Williams. It almost makes me feel like I can drive!

For those doubting the short sprint abilities of a 106 GTi DONT UNDERESTIMATE them!!

Ive been "beaten" by one in my 16v - albeit was a very very very close thing and above 60 i caught up easily!

They are fast little fookers!

The vts is supposed to be like that yeah but the 106 is not the same, the steering and the weight distribution are different. This is only what evo tested anyway maybe the willy is just as good.

Golf GTI Ed30

Ill second that. I had a 106 GTI for three years and (apart from the build quility) what a little cracker of a car. If I was racing myself in my CTR in my old 106 through the twisties I wouldnt get near it round bends. On the straights yeah, but they are like go-karts. I have SOOOOOO many reviews that say that the 106 GTI is the second best handling car ever, only behind a Ferrari 355. Ive still got that Evo mag that tested the 106, Willy and the 172. And it beat both round the circuit.

Never raced a Willy in my 106 but had a couple of valvers. Beat the Valver (just, only raced to 80mph). I would say it would be the same to 70 with a Willy, then the Willy would pull away.

the 106 and VTS are both very competent motors, but i have lost both of them on the same corner at Rockingham, yet in my mates RSi just seems to glide round the same corner, even when trying to provoke it to get out of shape

the arse end of the saxo/106 is very light if you lift off, and is very very easy to lose if you dont catch it very early - trust me, i know

williams and trophy

getting back to the original question hehe

williams vs 172...................... best way to find an answer for that is to go to york on monday and see what kinda times each is pulling.

unfortunately il be running a little heavy .....with the babyseats n all that sh*t in too so im expecting low 15s maybe jus maybe high 14s

and i dont think you can call mine a freak really cos craggys was jus as quik...........................nearly lol

The back end doesnt come out round corners in the gti unless you break harshly if you think you were going too fast then it might happen its called lift off oversteer, the best thing to do is enter at a reasonable speed then increase speed cos it has virtually no understeer. Its all down to the driver but the 106 can get round a track quicker than those other cars simple as that

Adam