ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams

right i have decided on my next car

the 1.2 is going and i will be getting a Clio Williams (and a diesel runaround)

What in your opinion is the better model Ph1,2 or 3??

What should i be looking out for - in other words what keeps going wrong with them?

and roughly what price should i be looking to be paying for a decent example with average mileage??

cheers

Williams 1 mate, you know its the only way to go, get yourself a goodun and youll never look back (well only to see other cars disappearing into the distance LoL)

TT 225

Id have a 1 or 2 - dont like a sunroof like the 3 has

But, they all perform the same and look the dogs! Id just look for the smartest/well looked after/maintained one you can find for your price limit

kelly that could be easier than you think

my budget (if i need it) is well over £10k :D

so, Willy 1 or 2 then?? seeing as 3 has a sunroof (i dont want one of those leaky things)

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

The phase2 has all the subtle improvements & is the 1 id have.

I wish i was u, there r some MINT Clio Williams but u still hav to pay. I think u can get the best example around for 6k IMO.

Jammy git. ;)

the bloke who has my williams now, hes lowered it, changed the exhaust.. it looks and sounds so hardcore now!! and clear indicators etc... it looks da nads :( think i might invest in another 1 eventually! although the GTT is still more fun to drive :devilish:

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

I think the Williams looks best completely standard in mint condition, maybe a 3 Xorst but i love the cult/classic look. :cool:

oh aside from lowering it will have no cosmetic modifications

the engine however will be a different matter

Trophy

Brian,

I went for the phase 2 williams 2 as i didnt want the sunroof either and although it would have been nice to have a willy1 with its plaque, there was just too many bits that i would have to change as i think some of the phase 1 stuff looks so dated, also prefer the colour of the willy3 but that was ruled out straight away by the roof.

You just have to get looking and buy the best you can find.

Mat.

R5 Gordini Turbo

There are less Williams 3s than the other 2

Williams 1 = 400

Williams 2 = unknown

Williams 3 = 300 (2 batches of 150)

Mines going up for sale in september when the Mot is due (ie selling with 12 months not 1). Williams 1 66k FSH £5000 ono. PM if you want photos etc. Cheers,

John

Its being replaced by a 405, trailer, national b license and a XR2.

Clio 182 Trophy, V6

I got the Williams 1 Replica for sale. Its tuned and faster than the real thing. It looks identical and the insurance companies dont quote stupid prices on it either. oh yeah I will let it go for £3000 whereas a good Williams original has to still be worth £4500-£5000.

:confused: i thought that the sunroof was an option on the willy 3, thats what ive read on here before,

and also dont willy 3s only come on N reg (being the last of the line)

Trophy

Sunroof wasnt an option (As in, is wasnt available on the 1 and 2, but was standard on all 3s) but the 3s are only on N reg and later.

Mat.

right its settled

i will be getting a Clio Williams 2 in a coulpe of short months (if all goes according to plan)

so all who know of any willys for sale, please let me know

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Good lad, be prepared to spend a little on the things that owners leave for the next owner to do such as a new g/box, driveshaft gators, engine mounts, etc. Good luck. ;)

if i was to say i had a williams 1 no. 416 with a factory sunroof, that blows a lot of the figures and theorys ive just seen on here about numbers. i was told it was a special factory over run, hence being number 416. yes it was uk.

i sold it about 2 years ago, reg L767 VLR

Trophy

There are actually over 3000 Willy 1s, not sure if we got the first 400 numbers or just how they came out the factory.

Mat.

hmmmm

now looking at it, how hard is a 2.0 bottom end to fit??

just occurred to me that the 2.0 valvers were running quicker times at york (yes it took me this long to figure out[:s)

so instead of a willy, i could but a valver (cheaper) fit a 2.0 bottom end (not too costly) and also save money on insurance, that way i have more to spend on engine mods

any info is greatly accepted

oh and roughly how long should it take?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

a couple of weeks?

dunno you gotta source a 2.0 bottom end first

Buy wongys valver its welllllll nice

i shouldnt think finding a 2.0 bottom end would be too hard considering the amount of spare time i have on my hands

anyone who has had it done know the timelines?

williams and trophy

bam bam 1 thing ur overlooking tho mate.

the 2.0 litre valvers were all running chips too, sept weights n mine

give either of our cars a chip n well be runnin the same (if not quicker) as adis n mehdis i reckon.

there was only 1 willy that i was really surprised with .........and that was the willy 3 with all the mods.....thort it wud av bin a bit quicker than that, an i still neva got to race it lol

Clio 172 cup

Quote: Originally posted by 2 live on 01 August 2003

bam bam 1 thing ur overlooking tho mate.

the 2.0 litre valvers were all running chips too, sept weights n mine

give either of our cars a chip n well be runnin the same (if not quicker) as adis n mehdis i reckon.

there was only 1 willy that i was really surprised with .........and that was the willy 3 with all the mods.....thort it wud av bin a bit quicker than that, an i still neva got to race it lol
Yeah i agree, if it was my car and i wasnt getting late 13s id be taking it back to BB tuning

BMW 320d Sport

malcup - if youve got a Willy 1 that was numbered 416 and had a sunroof its more likely you had some weird cut-n-shut rather than that everyone else doesnt know Willys! :D

Firstly sunroofs were not even an option on Willy 1 and 2 for the deliberate reason to keep weight down slightly - it might seem silly to save weight through not having a sunroof but thats teh same reason why they didnt have electric mirrors. If yours was a limited edition special then it was a limited edition of one, or it was put in after it left the factory. Or its a Willy 3 which you could tell from the colour which wouldnt be 449 sports blue.

Secondly the Willys did go up way over 400 - in left hand drive only. The first run were RHD for the UK because Frank Williams had #001, therefore the rest of the RHD allocation were numbered directly on from then. #416 would have been a LHD car. Or the only other possibility I can think of, which I dont know for sure about, is that it may have been off a Japanese one. There are Jap Willys but I dont know what numbers they are and it would seem logical that they would be off the first RHD run as well, after the UK ones.

Finally, no-one to my knowledge (which goes back a few years) has EVER come up with number 400 or over as a UK car. Which makes yours decidedly odd. There must be some reason for how you had a 416, but Im damned if I know it.

I always thought the reason the Williams1 never had a sunroof is because it was intended for motorsport use and created to meet homogalation rules enabling Renault to enter it into rallys. Having a sunroof on it would go against what the car was originally concieved for. Maybe a previous owner had it fitted.Very odd:confused:

Quote: Originally posted by Kelly on 25 July 2003

Id have a 1 or 2 - dont like a sunroof like the 3 has

But, they all perform the same and look the dogs! Id just look for the smartest/well looked after/maintained one you can find for your price limit
My Willy 3 doesnt have a sunroof, thats why i snatched it up.

Phoned Renault to find out the dillio, and they said its the only one that they are aware of without one :D

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

1 or 2 its down to personal taste !! Just avoid the 3 !! Sunroof = leaks !!

personally i prefer the one, but as i say its just personal taste !! U either like retro or modern !! Take your pick !!

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

you cant say AVOID the 3 i know in some cases the 3s roof can leek, but the colour of the 3 makes it stand out sooo much more!!!!!

monaco blue mmmmmmmmmm lol