ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Willy engine with a 16v gearbox

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

I f i were to get a willy lump for my 16v, what would the consequences be of using the 16v gearbox, and not a willy one? And am i right in thinking the willy one is the same as in the 19 16v?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Forgot to ask, if i get a willy lump, what other parts will i need? (driveshafts,ECU,starter motor?)

BMW 320d Sport

The 19 and Clio 16v have different boxes. The Willy box is different as well. Cheers Renault.

AFAIK, comparing to the Clio 16v box, the WIlly has shorter low gears, 4th is the same and 5th is longer. The 19 box is supposed to be longer across the board but I think the 1st and 2nd are the same as the Clio 16v. Definitely has a longer 5th though, or a different final drive cos its got a higher top speed in the brochure.

If you can get the Willy lump you really want to get the box as well cos its tougher, out of a 1.9 diesel. Good idea to get the ECU and starter motor but not sure about whether you need the driveshafts?

All u need to do the conversion is

a) the Williams ECU or get your own ecu chipped to run the 2 litre engine

b) a small bodied starter motor which is the williams one. it has the same mounting hole locations as the 1.8 16v starter motor but its smaller body means it lines up correctly without fouling the engine block.

use your ordinary clio 16v shafts, cos the williams ones wont fit as it has a wider track so longer shaftes!

ive got a R19 box in my clio 16v running alongside a chipped williams engine, works pretty well i think. the gearing is pretty much the same as a clio box, maybe slightly longer. never driven a williams so cant comment on their box but i cant reach 60mph in 2nd with my R19 box, because the williams engine doesnt rev as high as the 1.8

sorry bout the essay

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

the only reason why i wanted to keep my 16v box is cos it was reconditioned not so long back by the previous owner, at substantial cost.

its the R19 16v box im using. other engine mods are, pipercross induction kit, centre exit stainless exhaust system, hill power chip.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

so is there more of a difference than you expected from the willy engine? And do you know how your willy 16v compares to a willy in acceleration, top speed and 1/4 mile times?

i ran a 14.885s 1/4 mile and the closest willy 1/4 mile time i think was 15.3 set by jon in his standard williams

the performance difference isnt great but it just pulls much better from low down in the rev range, due to the extra torque it produces

the insurance went up a bit like, now getting quotes for £1250 TPF&T with all mods declared, which is a little steep, considering im 21 with 3yrs NCB.